Reset National HD Expectations?

Msg

If Dish doesn't add MSG HD by October then I'm gone. I put up with no new HD since September last fall. MSG HD has been uplinked for over 1 year.

No Buffalo Sabres HD I'll no longer be a Dish Sub, been a Dish Sub since 1997. I became a Dish Sub before Dish had one Million subscribers.

I installed my own system, paid FULL retail for my system as well as retail for most of my equipment, upgraded it myself or via a Tech it several times. I purchased one of the first Dish DVR's. I've been a subscriber to their highest Core Service for years. With all that said I WANT my Hockey Team in HD.

John

Some History:

DirecTV was way behind Dish Network in HD. So, they launched some new satellites, and more importantly, they added a whole bunch of largely imaginary HD channels.

Many of those HD channels on DirecTV have been said to have no HD content at all . (Some of the HD channels on both DirecTV and Dish Network have very little HD content - such as "A&E" and "TBS".)

Had DirecTV not launched satellites and made deals to add upconverted-SD channel placeholders named in the guide as "HD channels", then all the E* subscribers would be largely satisfied with USA-HD (the top rated cable channel), and SciFi-HD (Forum favorite).

Instead of threads like this, they would be counting the days until the cable channels actually add HD programming.

In a few weeks, E*11 will be launched to 110 to add bandwidth to use for new national HD channels that can be seen by all current subscribers.

This summer, I'm looking forward to live HD Weather Channel reports from the hurricane season :eek: and several channels of HD programming of the Olympics. (From what I have heard, E* has signed contracts for both.)

Ok I have to ask, and I know this is gonna start some crap but I have not seen this gone over.

What HD channels are we missing? When I say HD channels I mean channels that are show true HD programming, not upconvert strech-o-vision.

If we are talking about a bunch of stuff like cartoons and Disney, I don't know about anyone else, but my kids could care less about HD.

If we are talking about channels that show old movies say pre 2004, I don't know about anyone else, but I could care less. I seen them already HD is not gonna make me wanna see them again.

Are we talking about a bunch of different sports channels? I would not mind more sporst, but I am not going to go crazy about not seeing curling or some other crazy sport in HD. Football, Baseball, NASCAR, Hockey, UFC, and basketball are all I really care about. Big ten wrestling is the only other sport I could care about but I already get that. I know alot of people care about Golf, but alot of the big events are on the networks.

SO what real HD channels are we missing, and what do the show?

WGN-HD!!!! (SOX-CUBS)

If we are talking about a bunch of stuff like cartoons and Disney, I don't know about anyone else, but my kids could care less about HD.

If you want to go to the HD only pack to save a llittle $$ and have kids, then disney nick and cartoon are a must. The HD only package is a great idea once they add the kiddie networks I bet more people will jump on that bandwagon. If you have kids and try to eliminate there channels see waht happens. I dare ya. :eek:

I am so damn tired of people saying "They are no real HD channels because they have little or no HD content. What makes anything think a network would purchase HD versions of what they are broadcasting without a way to show them? This is not a chicken or the egg discussion. They must have an HD channel before they can begin putting up HD content. Ask TBS-HD who recently was able to the HD versions of "Everyone loves RAymond" and also becan getting their movies in HD also. I saw give me every HD channel thats out, I don't care if there is any HD content on it right now. The SD picture sure looks much better on the HD channel than the over-compressed SD channel.

WGN-HD!!!! (SOX-CUBS)

HD Nutt,

WGN HD is a national version of the Local WGN Chicago. The National version of WGN will NOT carry the Chicago Baseball teams, as WGN does NOT the rights to deliver those games to anybody outside of the Chicago area.

Again WGN HD will NOT have the Chicago White Soxes or Chicago Cubs games in HD.

John

HD Nutt,

WGN HD is a national version of the Local WGN Chicago. The National version of WGN will NOT carry the Chicago Baseball teams, as WGN does NOT the rights to deliver those games to anybody outside of the Chicago area.

John
bzzzzz wrong they already carry them in SD

The National version of WGN will NOT carry the Chicago Baseball teams, as WGN does NOT the rights to deliver those games to anybody outside of the Chicago area.

quiz_incorrect_pic_area_39654_7.gif

Wrong

HD Nutt,

John

Get your facts straight bud..... You are wrong....:eek:

If you have kids and try to eliminate there channels see waht happens. I dare ya. :eek:

After the initial shock and disappointment, they will adopt other channels to watch. You would be amazed at how much kids even 3 and 4 years old will watch the Food Network.

WOW! Imagine this: Instead of creating hideously annoying brats like Zach and Cody and numbing kids brains with bizarre animations, they learn cooking and home improvement, science and history, and a vocabulary larger than the top 40 hiphop slang expressions.

The world will never be the same...

:)

I reset my National HD expectations last week when I realized that Dish had just freed up 3 CONUS TPs on 61.5 and the same day up-linked 7 existing legacy MPEG2 HD channels (on 110) as MPEG4 HD channels onto one of them. (beginning w/ post #44) Note these 7 MPEG4 HD channels are not available and AFAIK they will only be used as part of the EA deployment. If Dish had really wanted to add new National HD, they had just let a very good opportunity go by. Instead Dish chose to continue the EA prep :(

I now don't expect new National HD until the Team Summit (earliest), or when the new sat at 110 is operational (most likely), or when they complete the EA deployment which almost certainly requires additional new or used Sat/TP assets (worst case?).

BTW I sure would like to be proved wrong :)

Talon Dancer

It is now May 1. The consensus of the Satelliteguys.us forum participants seemed to be that Dish would launch 15-18 new National HD Channels before May 1.

As you all know, we got three.

So what are your expectations now? An announcement before the Tech Chat? An Announcement at Team Summit? An Announcement at the next Charlie Chat (June 9). Something else?

I'd like to see something that would re-affirm my faith in Dish sometime this month, but I am not counting on it and am making plans to switch later this month.

The latest from Dish is 100 National Channels total and 100 markets with HD locals before the end of the year. So we could go six or seven months without any new HD.

Anyway, what are your expectations and what is your reasoning?

My expectations were that they would START launching some of the announced HD Nationals and HD LIL's by May 1. And they have.

That they would have many of the national HD announced by the Charlie Chat in June, which we will have to see. And I would expect most of the rest by the fall.

Last edited:
honestly, I don't really mind. the amount of channels I am receiving with Dish is excellent, I would welcome more, but for now my needs are filled. ESPNews HD would be nice, but besides that, I can't really think of anything I need. Those complaining about the amount of Dish channels, go use your local comcast HD service, and then you will complain about the crappy amount of channels you get. that is where I am coming from.

Also, before getting Weather Channel HD, I'd rather have my local weather channel. I don't get Local on the 8's with Dish Network. I have a local radar channel with my NBC and ABC affiliate since I use an OTA antenna(does Dish compress locals or no? I'm still using my antenna because I am unsure) and I can use that. However, I really liked Local on The 8's, because it gave a little more than radar, and not every TV in my house is hooked up to the antenna. Just my 2 cents.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)