Restoring timers from a backup on the remote...umm, don't...

ChairBound

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 26, 2012
Spotsylvania, VA
So, I was messing around tonight and decided to delete all my timers, thinking MAYBE having so many with all the additional skipped shows was somehow counting in memory somewhere and preventing my thumbnails from downloading. My second Hopper only has a few timers of single episode shows on it, and it has all its thumbnails no problem. Knowing I had a recent backup of my timers in my remote, I deleted all the timers on my main Hopper (of course, that is another painful operation because each one has to be done one at a time with multiple key presses involved...bleep me). Anyway....after I restored all my timers and verified that they were all back in the timer list, I just happened to go into one of the timers because I wanted to skip a show. Thank God I did....all of the timers were empty. I had the correct timer list restored from the backup, but the backup failed to link up with the Guide for some reason. Now, this may just be a problem that only I will experience, or it may be linked to the whole thumbnails not downloading on this Hopper, or maybe I just pissed off the Dish fairy. Whatever the deal...I thought I should share my experience and warn everyone not to necessarily rely on those backups just now. I ended up having to go in a delete every timer one by one for a second time (sigh) and then restore them manually one at a time. They then picked up the shows in the Guide with no problem again.

It's very likely the timers would have filled in after the guide download during the nightly reboot .

Sent from my DROIDX

IF you give it a little time to do it's thing, the timers will fill in again. I have done this and the hopper takes more time to do a little house keeping than the Vip series. I actually did a restore recently from my main hopper remote and restored all the timers in it, on my newer second hopper . Withing a few minutes, the schedule showed the timers in their place for the week. So it does work , if you give it some time .

I gave it some time. Does it really need time though? I mean, once I went back and entered them individually, it picked everything up right away. The nightly download had already occurred before I did the restore function, and the Guide was fully functional and complete when I did the restore. There was nothing that needed to download. I just don't think that was the problem in this case.

I knew I could back up my timers to my remote on my 722k. I asked the Dish tech if I could use that method to transfer from my 722k to my Hopper and he said no. :/

I tried to backup and restore timers when I replaced my Hopper a few months back, and it didn't restore any. Zero. Zilch.
But, that was back on S207 or S209, something like that. Even so, it left a bad taste in my mouth. So, now I avoid replacing the DVR, if possible, and just wait for the next SW update to hopefully fix the problems.

I deleted all of mine and restored them with remote the other day and it worked fine. However I had backed them up with s/w 221 and restored of course with the same s/w version. I have become a little nutty about this since my 722k died during power surge that I back them up at least once a week to make sure the timers are correct. I know it sounds like over kill but that was a disaster in the middle of tv season.

Ohhhhh, keckge! I bet you are right! That is exactly what I did. Made the backup on One version of the software, then tried to restore them on S221. Oopsie!

As fast as the Hopper is compared to receivers past, it's not outlandish to think that scanning the ENTIRE program guide for shows that match up with your timers will take time. When you are adding a single timer, it's only really concerned with the one event. And remember it's also keeping track of skipped events too. When you force feed it every single timer you have all at once. It's going to take time.

As fast as the Hopper is compared to receivers past, it's not outlandish to think that scanning the ENTIRE program guide for shows that match up with your timers will take time. When you are adding a single timer, it's only really concerned with the one event. And remember it's also keeping track of skipped events too. When you force feed it every single timer you have all at once. It's going to take time.
That makes good sense too. Problem is, I gave it about an hour in standby. No biggy though. Hopefully I will not need to do it again any time soon, and if I do, I will take your advice, do it when nothing needs to be recorded for a while, restore the timers, then leave it overnight and see if everything comes back ok.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)