Resume live recording working on H3 U344

hey

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 24, 2016
TX
Tried it today and it worked for me, as follows...
I started a live recording program and FFed a bit, then resumed another show in my recordings list, went back to recordings list, and pressed the play button on the live recording program and it resumed where I left it. If I pressed select, there was no option to resume, only watch live and watch from start, but when I pressed play, it worked...
I also tried the same procedure, except I punched in a live channel number, and went back to recordings, pressed play, and it worked.

when it was finished recording, I found it in my recordings list and pushed play the same way and it restarted from the beginning...but in the info when I pressed select, it showed my time left in the program and progress bar, so that is useful info, although not ideal obviously...

Reactions: Tampa8 and DWS44
Looks like it fixed the guide issue locking up for me. (Knock on wood). The expanded sports channels I think were the culprits. I figured out if SEC, Pac12 and Big ten were removed from custom guide it wouldn't lock or freeze on 8 channel section. The other fix was select large font.

Been running small font and have all expanded sports channels back in custom guide and no freeze today with U344 update. SO FAR I should say.

Tried it today and it worked for me, as follows...
I started a live recording program and FFed a bit, then resumed another show in my recordings list, went back to recordings list, and pressed the play button on the live recording program and it resumed where I left it. If I pressed select, there was no option to resume, only watch live and watch from start, but when I pressed play, it worked...
I also tried the same procedure, except I punched in a live channel number, and went back to recordings, pressed play, and it worked.

when it was finished recording, I found it in my recordings list and pushed play the same way and it restarted from the beginning...but in the info when I pressed select, it showed my time left in the program and progress bar, so that is useful info, although not ideal obviously...
Thank you so much for posting this. I would have never thought of trying just pressing play. But you are right it works perfectly. As pressing play on a recording that is still recording essentially works as a resume button. And I am very happy to now have resume functionality on recordings that are still recording on the Hopper 3 now that the NCAA Basketball tournament is just two weeks away.

Reactions: hey
Thank for this! I would have never tried that. I have to pause the program that is recording, that I was watching, before I leave it for another channel, for this to work, but it does.

So why don't they just add the resume button when you hit select, since apparently the capability is there? Most people won't figure this out.

might need more coffee, i have read this several times and am still confused. can anyone help what this is explaining ??

live show, i'll hit pause, then swap, go to something else, then swap back to where it was paused. is this similar ??

Thank for this! I would have never tried that. I have to pause the program that is recording, that I was watching, before I leave it for another channel, for this to work, but it does.

So why don't they just add the resume button when you hit select, since apparently the capability is there? Most people won't figure this out.
No telling why, but I don't press the issue any more. I am afraid if they fix that something else will get messed up. The resume issue has been a big pain in the ass for me since I switched to DISH in 2007, but I just work around it the best I can.

Reactions: JSheridan
might need more coffee, i have read this several times and am still confused. can anyone help what this is explaining ??

live show, i'll hit pause, then swap, go to something else, then swap back to where it was paused. is this similar ??

Here's the problem: You're recording a program, let's say a ball game. You pause and switch to another show for some reason, or have to go do something or go to another room. With a show that is not currently recording, when you hit select for the program that you paused, you get the options to start from the beginning or resume (and if you were watching on two different TVs, which one you want to resume.) But for some dumb reason, if the show is recording, and you try that, the only options you get when you select that show from the DVR list is Watch Live or Start From Beginning. No Resume option. Which is a pain.

What he has discovered is that if you watch a program that is still recording, pause, switch to another show, then want to resume the show you were watching (that is still recording) - you can't hit Select for that program, it will just give you the option to watch Live or Start from beginning. But if, instead of hitting Select, you just hit the Play button on the DVR icon for the program still being recorded (that you paused) it will start where you paused it.

Reactions: hey
Here's the problem: You're recording a program, let's say a ball game. You pause and switch to another show for some reason, or have to go do something or go to another room. With a show that is not currently recording, when you hit select for the program that you paused, you get the options to start from the beginning or resume (and if you were watching on two different TVs, which one you want to resume.) But for some dumb reason, if the show is recording, and you try that, the only options you get when you select that show from the DVR list is Watch Live or Start From Beginning. No Resume option. Which is a pain.

What he has discovered is that if you watch a program that is still recording, pause, switch to another show, then want to resume the show you were watching (that is still recording) - you can't hit Select for that program, it will just give you the option to watch Live or Start from beginning. But if, instead of hitting Select, you just hit the Play button on the DVR icon for the program still being recorded (that you paused) it will start where you paused it.
This is huge!! thank you...thank you...thank you!!! The lack of that capability has been a pain. Thanks for sharing.

What I have not tested yet is if this works in two rooms; e.g. if I am watching a ball game or show in one room while it is recording, pause, go to another room with, say, another Joey or H3, and hit play on the program in the DVR list, will it also start where I left off in the other room. (I'll test later today.)

no way to edit a thread title?
anyway it works for me on U345 as well...

The multi-room resume does work. I recorded a hockey game last night while I watched the evening news. After the news, I started watching the hockey game in the kitchen on a Joey while the game continued to record on the Hopper in the family room. After awhile, I PAUSED the game on the Joey, turned it off and moved to the family room to continue watching the game which was still recording. I turned on the family room TV and Hopper, selected DVR and navigated to the game I had been watching. I pressed PLAY and I was given the option of the Kitchen, Start or Live. I navigated to the Kitchen option, pressed SELECT and picked up viewing where I had left off.