Resuming Suspended MLB Game

Will94

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
USA
The Nationals and Astros finished a game yesterday which had been suspended in the bottom of the 11th inning on May 5. The Nationals won the game 11-10 on an error. The winning pitcher, Joel Hanrahan, was traded to the Pirates weeks ago, and the winning run was scored by a pinch runner, Nyjer Morgan, who wasn't on the Nationals roster on May 5.

I've been thinking about this all day. It's bizarre to me that you can use guys who weren't on your roster when the game was suspended. What if a trade had happened between the two teams? You could have a player appear for both teams in the box score. You could even have a pitcher get a win and a loss in the same game.

I just can't stop thinking about the possibilities!

Last edited:
The Nationals and Astros finished a game yesterday which had been suspended in the bottom of the 11th inning on May 5. The Nationals won the game 5-4 on an error. The winning pitcher, Joel Hanrahan, was traded to the Pirates weeks ago, and the winning run was scored by a pinch runner, Nyjer Morgan, who wasn't on the Nationals roster on May 5.

I've been thinking about this all day. It's bizarre to me that you can use guys who weren't on your roster when the game was suspended. What if a trade had happened between the two teams? You could have a player appear for both teams in the box score. You could even have a pitcher get a win and a loss in the same game.

I just can't stop thinking about the possibilities!

Didn't this happen in the NBA the last year or two as well?

Sandra

This has happened in the past when games go too late in the night.

There have been times when a player got traded mid-day and got 2 hits in 2 different games

I **think** it was Joel Youngblood. Played a game in the day (in Wrigley) and got a hit. Got traded and played in the night game for another team and got a hit

Guy for Toronto had that happen. Got called up, game ran late and they told him to get to the park. Put on another guys jersey (who got released/traded/sent down etc) and pitched...and lost the game

Yes it was Joel Youngblood. Cubs and Reds I think were the teams.

Here is what I have been thinking about. If Hanrahan had been traded to the Astros instead of the Pirates (and the winning run wasn't on first when the game was suspended), the Astros could have used him. If Tejada makes the same error, then Hanrahan is both the winning and losing pitcher in the same game.

Yes it was Joel Youngblood. Cubs and Reds I think were the teams.
On August 4, 1982 Joel Youngblood got a single in a day game for the New York Mets against the Chicago Cubs in Chicago. He was traded after the game to the Montreal Expos, who happened to have a game scheduled that night against the Philadelphia Phillies in Philadelphia. Youngblood flew to Philadelphia and arrived during the game. He was inserted into the lineup and got a single.

WikiAnswers - What MLB player played for two professional teams in the same day

...Youcould have a player appear for both teams in the box score. You could even have a pitcher get a win and a loss in the same game...!

Back in the late 1960s or early 1970s, the Red Sox had three games in a row rained out against the same team. To try to minimize the amount of make-up games to be played, they agreed to start playing early that next morning, and to continue to play until a pre-set time to make sure that the visiting team could catch a flight out of town, and any game in progress would be suspended, to be completed later, regardless of what inning they were in.

They finished the first game and played a few innings into the second. The Red Sox were losing at the time. Before the remainder of the game was played, the Red Sox pitcher of record was traded to the other team. Under the scoring rules of that era, if a starting pitcher did not pitch five innings, but if he left with his team ahead and they never relinquished the lead, the win had to be given to whomever pitched the third out of the fifth inning. I think they got rid of that rule in the late 1970s.

Anyway, if that former Red Sox pitcher had pitched just the third out of the fifth inning, he would have been both the winning and losing pitcher in that game.

Regarding NBA game suspensions, I think a Celtics/Pistons game might have been suspended when the roof started leaking, causing a safety hazard to the players, but I don't remember much else about it.

Last edited:
How did an NBA game get suspended? I don't recall games being suspended and continued later in the NBA.

A superstar player for a NBA team had to leave to attend the birth of his illegitimate kid so the game was suspended? :D

seriously, I'm sure games have been suspended due to electrical outages that weren't resolved quickly or if the arena developed a leak in the roof during a rainstorm mid-game or if the ice hockey rink underneath the NBA floor started to melt and water seeped up through the basketball court floorboards making the NBA court wet and slippery.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)