Who are the most exciting players you've seen in any sport?

SabresRule

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Apr 15, 2008
Wisconsin
thrill-tx1.jpg

On SI.com, they are looking at the most exciting players to play each of the sports.

Who do you consider the most entertaining and incredible-to-watch players you've ever seen?

(BTW, two rules- it has to be an athlete that you actually remember- i.e. you were alive when he played, and it doesn't have to be from every sport. Just choose the athletes you feel were the most entertaining)

Here are mine, in terms of highlights I've seen, and watching games over the years:

Hockey- The four most entertaining players I've ever seen are Denis Savard, Pavel Bure, Mario Lemieux, and Pat LaFonatine. (I admit, I'm showing my Buffalo bias with the last pick.)

Football- Barry Sanders is my #1, but my #2 will surprise you- Randall Cunningham. IMO, he is the ultimate combination of thrower and runner. Again, I'll show a bit of bias- I was living in Buffalo when, in a game against the Bills, he did this:

[youtube]AdjmMa88l-o[/Youtube]

Another great run/pass QB that makes my list is Steve Young. For WR, I'll go with Randy Moss.

Basketball- Jordan, LeBron, Kobe, D-Wade, Magic Johnson.

If not for the dog stuff he'd have been a fantastic player in the right system if he was around long enough for one to be built around him or to leave Atlanta and join... the 2 Vikings running into each other is awesome.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxNMM8_mfOg"]YouTube - Michael Vick Top Ten Plays[/ame]

I hate him and his team but horseface's (Elway) helicopter spin into the end zone was epic and will never be forgotten.

Hockey - Bobby Orr, hands down, but Alex Ovechkin comes darn close. Every time he has the puck, something magical can happen.

Baseball - Tom Seaver, whom you expected to be overpowering every time he took the mound. For sheer power, Reggie Jackson, Barry Bonds and Albert Pujols; for speed, Rickey Henderson.

Basketball - Jordan, of course, but also Pete Maravich, who set the standard for doing the impossible.

Football - When he was in college, Herschel Walker.

Soccer - Don't really remember Pele or Maradona in their prime, but Ronaldinho comes close.

Currently -

Hockey - Ovechkin for sure. Keeps you on the edge of your seat.

Basketball - Leandro Barbosa. Not the best, but the most exciting for me.

Football - I'll get back to you when it's closer to football season.

Baseball - Not the most exciting sport, but probably Ichiro...she said, resisting the urge to say Manny...

Soccer - Lionel Messi

Sandra

I saw Larry Bird play while he was still in college. Also saw Major Harris play in a snowy Sun Bowl and was blown away.

Pro would have to be Roger Staubach.

Pistol Pete in basketball, Gale Sayers and Barry Sanders in football, and "The Kid" from Meatloaf's Paradise by the Dashboard Light in baseball. (Or Willie Mays, your choice)

Secretariat.

Super Mario

Pete Rose

The Icky Shuffle (OK, Joe Montana)

Bill Lambieer (A hockey enforcer with an orange orb)

Franz Beckenbauer

John McEnroe

Mike Tyson

Doug Koenig (9 time Bianchi Cup Champ and 1st ever perfect score, the guy is mesmorizing to watch)

Tonya Harding

Kip Keino

and

Andy Kaufman for wrestling and general dementia

Last edited:
During my 7 years as part of the Chicago Bull coverage.....there is NO ONE like Michael Jeffrey Jordan. I saw him and personal and I am convinced that I might NEVER, EVER seen an athlete like that again. Not just THE best basketball player ever...but THE best CLUTCH basketball player EVER to play the game.

...wow...!

I'm going to do this from a Cleveland perspective. From my lifetime....

Cavs- LeBron James. Duh! To me, he is the greatest player since "His Airness".

Indians- Tie: Albert Belle or Jim Thome. During those magical come from behind victories in the 90's, it always seemed like those two boys were a part of the late inning heroics. In those days, I NEVER felt the Indians were EVER out of a game. What a feeling!

Browns- This one may surprise a few, but I'm going with Josh Cribbs. He's THE ultimate game changer. He can return kicks and provide an instant jolt to a teams psyche. He also plays his ass of on the defensive end of Special Teams. Cribbs is always the first player down the field to lay a massive hit on the oppositions return man. I absolutely love his energy!

Golf- Tiger Woods. Best thing to ever happen to the sport of golf. He's got so much talent and so much excitement for the game of golf, it's contagious!

Baseball:

mm_clemente.jpg

Basketball:

Pete12-764926.jpg

Football:

Fred_Biletnikoff.jpg

Hockey:

retrobobby_orr.jpg

All are from my youth (showing my age :)). Probably why they seemed so much bigger than life. You can't deny their talent though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts