Retailer Chat News

I don't understand how they can invest so much money launching a bird only to find it can't reach all CONUS points. And they didn't figure that out until recently?

As Charlie reports being disappointed with his performance, I certainly hope '04 brings a renewed spirit at Dish Network.

'03 brought us tons of locals, a couple of Cinemax channels, PVR fees, the risk of losing channels due to programming costs, and my 1 year old 508 is still buggy (once a week reboots are the norm, and now, even my wife knows when it's time to reboot).

No, 105 is a lease of space on an existing bird. It wasn't designed for Echostar and it is a weaker signal. Its only a short term thing.... I guess the next bird going up for Echostar goes to 105? and that will allow a lot more space in that slot at higher strength. Then maybe a SMALLER Superdish will suffice..

I suggest everyone WAIT and dont jump on Superdish right away... things may change... (will have to)

hemway said:
I heard he mentioned th $99 deal again for the 6000 but didn't go into details. Is that true? Does anyone have any information on the $99 deal?

Any news on this? I know that the Exec VP office at DISH is going nuts over the response to that statement made in the CC.

I checked with someone who taped today's chat and she said that a question was asked if Dishnetwork had any upgrade plans for existing customers who have HD televisions but no HD equipment.

She said that Charlie said that they already have a $99 upgrade plan with a 1 year commitment to HD programming, for the model 6000. He also said that on next months chat, they will have deals on the model 811.

Re: Can't they still add more HD on 110???

rad said:
On 110, TP 7 is HDNet and HDNet Movies, TP17 has Discovery HD and ESPN HD. Now we've been told that 8PSK allows for 3 HD channels per transponder, so isn't there room on 110 to add lets say StarzHD and CinemaxHD or bring back the PPV-HD channel (for example)?

Rad, I think that 8PSK allows for two channels on a DBS Slot, and three channels on a FSS slot. I sure hope they don't try and squeeze three HD channels onto a 110 TP.

Nice to know (deal on 811) but what about those people who are on retailer waiting lists for the 811 and lo and behold they actually get in 811's before Dec. 8th and ship to those customers at MSRP prices?

Is it a pretty sure bet that such a deal will be announced BEFORE the product hits the retailers?

Ok here are some screen shots from todays chats.

The ares in Green can get 105 with a SuperDISH, the areas in BLUE can not pick up the 105 satellite with the SuperDISH.

MVC-016S.JPG

These are the following areas where the SuperDISH wont work

MVC-017S.JPG

MVC-019S.JPG

MVC-020S.JPG

These are areas Dish is trying to uplink on the SuperDISH (Just because they are here does NOT mean they will actually come)

MVC-009S.JPG

MVC-010S.JPG

And there you have it.

He also said that on next months chat, they will have deals on the model 811.

Charlie said the same thing two months ago. And October Technical Chat said the same thing. Now again on this month's Charlie Chat.

Just how does Dish expect us to believe anything they say?

(there's also the issue of 811 price at $299 in summer, then $399, now price mentioned is $499.)

OK, if subscribers can not see the superdish in florida and northern states, why doesn't echostar put all locals except for nortern states and florida on superdish and release them on dish500. Leaving room then to add HD on dish500.

Scott,

Thanks for the screen shots....

Disappointing that San Francisco area won't be able to get 105, and therefore SuperDish will be useless until new stronger satellite signal is available. That's millions of potential Dish customers

baloo75 said:
justalurker said:
dmodemd said:
Yes, BUT, all NEW HD programming will only be on SuperDish...
Says who?
JL
Says Charlie in the retailer chat!
And he said "ONLY" on SuperDish? --- not "will be on SuperDish" but "will be ONLY on SuperDish".

Did he also say when the SD would be released in those same Chats? Or the 921? Has Charlie ever been 100% accurate and the company never changed their mind?

Sorry, but I'm not going to believe that E* is that stupid until they have HD channels open to subscribers on 105º that are not mirrored elsewhere. Old statements are trumped by new, and the word that 105º is having reception problems in the North and South changes the game. Until 105º is active and sold for HD no subscriber will "need" a SuperDish for HD.

Until we hear something like "Cinemax HD will be available Dec 1st - and you need to have SuperDish" on December 8th's chat ('oh, I guess we already did that' comment from Charlie) it isn't written in stone.

JL

Cyclone said:
rad said:
On 110, TP 7 is HDNet and HDNet Movies, TP17 has Discovery HD and ESPN HD. Now we've been told that 8PSK allows for 3 HD channels per transponder, so isn't there room on 110 to add lets say StarzHD and CinemaxHD or bring back the PPV-HD channel (for example)?

Rad, I think that 8PSK allows for two channels on a DBS Slot, and three channels on a FSS slot. I sure hope they don't try and squeeze three HD channels onto a 110 TP.

Cyclone, I think it's the other way around, the current FSS satellite, due to it's lower power can do only 2 and the DBS at 110 can do 3. I believe that when the replacement for 105 goes up next year, which will have higher power, that it can then also two 3 HD channels per transponder.

Cyclone said:
The 105º FSS slots are bigger, 26000 signal rate VS 20000 signal rate on DBS and 121º FSS. There are only 24 TP on 105º. 624000 potential total on 105º and 640000 on 120º and other 32 TP birds (like 148º - dish doesn't own all transponders on 61.5º, 110º or 119º). [121º TPs are the same size as 110º and other DBS birds.]

Three HD is doable on a 26000 signal rate TP with the right FEC, but since there is only 24 TPs there the limit would be 72 per bird (no SD channels), which is only slightly better that the 64 possible on a 32 TP 20000 SR bird.

Now if 8PSK allowed for three on a 20000 SR transponder, that would allow for four on a 26000 SR transponder. 96 HD on a 32TP DBS (or 121º) or the same on 105º's 24TP. It all depends on the FEC they can get out of 105º.

BTW: Cool pics of the SuperDish map. Didn't realize coverage stopped at state lines like that. Guess my cellphone map *is* accurate! :D

JL

justalurker said:
Cyclone said:
The 105º FSS slots are bigger, 26000 signal rate VS 20000 signal rate on DBS and 121º FSS. There are only 24 TP on 105º. 624000 potential total on 105º and 640000 on 120º and other 32 TP birds (like 148º - dish doesn't own all transponders on 61.5º, 110º or 119º). [121º TPs are the same size as 110º and other DBS birds.]

Three HD is doable on a 26000 signal rate TP with the right FEC, but since there is only 24 TPs there the limit would be 72 per bird (no SD channels), which is only slightly better that the 64 possible on a 32 TP 20000 SR bird.

Now if 8PSK allowed for three on a 20000 SR transponder, that would allow for four on a 26000 SR transponder. 96 HD on a 32TP DBS (or 121º) or the same on 105º's 24TP. It all depends on the FEC they can get out of 105º.

BTW: Cool pics of the SuperDish map. Didn't realize coverage stopped at state lines like that. Guess my cellphone map *is* accurate! :D

JL

Drats, I hated to be wrong on this! I searched over on DBSForum and Dan the man says only 2 8PSK HD channels on 20K SR transponders, which is what 110 is using. Oh well, guess it's going to be awhile before we see Cinemax or Starz in HD. Thanks - RAD

justalurker said:
Scott Greczkowski said:
We got to get you a video capture card ... :p

Thanks for sharing.

JL

I didn't take the pictures they were sent to me. :)

Uaully I do capture everything, comes out much nicer looking.

I just got a bunch of shots from a 322 and again these are from someone taking a picture of their TV. :)

Scott Greczkowski said:

The ares in Green can get 105 with a SuperDISH, the areas in BLUE can not pick up the 105 satellite with the SuperDISH.

I like the way footprint goes all the way to the Canadian border in Idaho and Montana, but only in Western Montana. Looks pretty arbitrary to me.

Interesting...They already have Green Bay and Wausau in test mode up on 105...I guess they will be moving them to 110 in the near future.

Wonder how accurate their map is or if they just set those boundaries for PR purposes. I would think the satellite bounderies would be a little different then state lines.

Or maybe Charle took after verizon with their little "now you hear me, now you dont deal" and sent all their engineers out with the stock of Super dishes and checked where they could and not could get signal at :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)