Retailer Chat Recap: June 9, 2009

Looked into that thread...& there is no mention of HD for PR?

There was a lengthy segment on the Chat about it... if it is not in the MP3s on that thread, then you need to find a recap on another DBS site.

Summary (from memory): Dish is using the new spotbeam to create a package of HD channels for PR, but it will be some weeks before an exact channel list is released. They also plan to further increase that package when the next satellite launches and goes online.

See the Charlie Chat Caps & Bytes thread, there was plenty about Puerto Rico in that Chat.

There's 4 transponders on 110 not used for Puerto Rico. If they run 8 HD per TP thats 32 channels they can add... and it's on E10 so it's been there...not new.

I will be the first to ask. Why the heck are they talking about the TV2 IR converter in the same breath and slide as the 922. The IR converter makes using a sling box nice yes, but the 922 is sling loaded. Why would the 922 need an external sling box connected?

It could be that the IR converter is for other receivers not mentioned?

There was a lengthy segment on the Chat about it... if it is not in the MP3s on that thread, then you need to find a recap on another DBS site.

Summary (from memory): Dish is using the new spotbeam to create a package of HD channels for PR, but it will be some weeks before an exact channel list is released. They also plan to further increase that package when the next satellite launches and goes online.

Thanks kstuart for the information. Yeah I also saw the beam coverage maps for the new sat at 119...& from the looks of it...it is suppose to even have better signal then the new sat at 110....& 110 is very powerful signal for PR most of them into high 70 or 80 as seen from DVR 625

There's 4 transponders on 110 not used for Puerto Rico. If they run 8 HD per TP thats 32 channels they can add... and it's on E10 so it's been there...not new.

Yeah....saw in the spotbeam breakdown for 110...there r 4 unused spotbeam for PR. Wonder why Charlie havent used it for us to add more HD channels.

32 channels plus the few we have already should make the count to abt 40. It will make Dish the HD LEADER in PR atleast for a long time also. Please Dish...add then SOON

The IR converter works great. I've been beta testing it for about four months now. I've got it hooked up the my HAVA Platinum and VIP222. Nice to see that they are finally releasing it.

There are a few of us out there who use a Slingbox or HAVA and with the IR converter hocked up to output 2, I can watch one thing while traveling for work while my wife watches something else.

Showing ads about why Dish is better then DirecTV.

I dont know how many GOOD LONG TIME customers that DTV got becasue Dish didnt take care of them!!!

DISH should call them "I see your one our better customers" up and see if they need any thing!!

Showing ads about why Dish is better then DirecTV.

This is scaring me... stop focusing on DirecTV folks go back to picking on cable. Your taking your eye off the ball.

I can't agree with you more. TWC is bragging that they have 100 hd channels in NY City and 74 in the Buffalo area. Their startover feature, VOD offerings, local news channel and the ability to give you a double or triple play are getting tempting. Especially when two months ago they offered me a Dish Winback of similiar programing to what I have with E* , internet access, a hd dvr and another hd receiver, and guaranteed their pricing for $100 for year one and $110 for year two.

I was in the processing of switching until E* basically matched the pricing by giving me $38 off a month with no committments. Thats great for now, but come fall when the NHL season starts up again, E* will have to have my RSN in hd or I will have to take TWC up on their offering.

Still nothing about Salisbury, MD locals?

I don't want to offend you by what I'm about to say, but I don't think dish will be too interested in the Salisbury channels... Only CBS & ABC & PBS in HD & an SD only FOX? I get these OTA & rarely find my self watching them any more... I've had too many times I've had to call WBOC & ask them to flip the HD switch because they forgot too... I just don't think they're ready for prime time yet...

That's just my opinion... let the bashing begin :)

Last edited:
Evidently the word in the street (from Scott) is that Charlie's solution is to drop the TurboHD packages in August. If that happens we might as well start calling TurboHD the bait-and-switch package since it will be fairly clear that was the sole purposes of these temporary HD-only packages. :mad: I couldn't be more upset with Dish Network right now... :rant:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts