Retailer just upgraded me to HD, or so I thought

casper809

Original poster
Mar 18, 2004
I just got my Dish system upgraded to High Definintion, or so I thought. I went into my local retailer last week to get the receiver to go with my new HDTV ordered up. I was scheduled for install today. Right on time my installer showed up and worked his but off to get me set up and ready to go. Last step is to call in to activate the receiver. The installer calls in only to be told that the brand new 722 receiver that he just installed will not receive any HD programming until I get a new smart card, which will have to be mailed to me. I am absolutely furious with this as I as well as my retailer knew nothing about this. I fully expected and paid to have my HD installed and running today not in 3 to 5 business days when someone gets around to sending me a new smart card. I have been a Dish Network Customer since the beginning in 1997. I have always loved DISH but today I am absolutely fuming that I am having to sit and watch standard definition after paying for an upgrade to hdtv until I get a smart card in the mail. And then to add insult to injury I have to wait for the card to be shipped to me by ground 3-5 days! I would have only been mildly upset if it was going to be a next day thing, but this just put me over the top. What the hell is dish network doing sending out installers with equipment that won't work completely when installed.:mad::mad::mad::mad:

It would appear as though your retailer must not do many HD upgrades. If he did, the receivers he had in stock would be new and have the smartcard factory installed. Meaning he must be sitting on some old 722s that have the old smartcard or none at all. Don't blame Dish, blame the retailer in this case. A good retailer would be on top of this and have taken the appropriate steps.

The SmartCard roleout has been known for quite some time. Your installer should have known about it.

The SmartCard roleout has been known for quite some time. Your installer should have known about it.
I disagree. That is not our reponsibilty.
We are the installers. We are not all things to all people.
The retailer should have known that his stock was long on the shelf.
I get pretty irritated when something not of my doing gets blamed on me by parties who refuse to accept responsibility in the capacity of their jobs.
The prevailing attitude is "let the field personnel worry about it".

I disagree. That is not our reponsibilty.
We are the installers. We are not all things to all people.
The retailer should have known that his stock was long on the shelf.
I get pretty irritated when something not of my doing gets blamed on me by parties who refuse to accept responsibility in the capacity of their jobs.
The prevailing attitude is "let the field personnel worry about it".
I'm sure that he meant retailer instead of installer. But, if you work for a retailer, then you can expect to be the first person the customer blames, whether it's your fault or not. Crap rolls down hill!

I'm sure that he meant retailer instead of installer. But, if you work for a retailer, then you can expect to be the first person the customer blames, whether it's your fault or not. Crap rolls down hill!
whatever.
There's a difference between being blamed for something and the customer just being pissed off. Pissed off I can handle. It's called the art of the schmooze.
I have it.
But if someone tries to pin something on me that is beyond my control or level of authority, that's when the fangs come out.
I am not taking sh*t off anyone.

well, at least you didn't take a general comment and take it personal. :rolleyes:
I actually think an installer working for a competent retailer should have known about the smart card switch, which apparently this retailer was not, because he didn't have a clue.

Strange. I recently called Dish to inquire about activating a 622 that I have, now that the HD Enabling Fee is no more.

I was told by two different CSRs that the old card would work for 30 days until the new card was mailed to me.

I haven't activated it yet, but maybe you should call Dish yourself and see what they say.

I am absolutely furious with this as I as well as my retailer knew nothing about this

I don't buy this!

This retailer is simply trying to pass you a receiver that they have had in their inventory for over a year. They know darn well that they needed a new smart card, but they didn't want to spend the $50 out of their pocket so they went ahead and installed it anyways in hopes that Dish would send out the card once the receiver is activated.

Im sorry to say this, but your retailer is totally to blame on this one!

As a retailer myselfe everything I have in stock has the new card, I have not installed a receiver without a new card in over 6 months, and its been almost a year since Dish has been shipping new cards with all their receivers.

I would call up the retailer and tell him to either come and give you a Purple G3 card, or come pick up the equipment!

well, at least you didn't take a general comment and take it personal. :rolleyes:
I actually think an installer working for a competent retailer should have known about the smart card switch, which apparently this retailer was not, because he didn't have a clue.
Should have known..That is a rather broad statement. It implies an opinion.
So be it.
BTW I know all about the card switch.
What I find irritating about this is the CSR at Dish screwed up. Receivers without cards CAN be activated through a competent CSR who will in turn issue and order to send that custimer a new card.
Happens all the time.\

Should have known..That is a rather broad statement. It implies an opinion.
So be it.
BTW I know all about the card switch.
What I find irritating about this is the CSR at Dish screwed up. Receivers without cards CAN be activated through a competent CSR who will in turn issue and order to send that custimer a new card.
Happens all the time.\

I don't think they can do that anymore though. Problem is that even if they do manage to activate the receiver on the customer's account most of the programming has been switched to the new encryption. So what'll most likely happen is they'll see a lot of error messages stating that the card is not able to view the programming they're trying to watch with one or two exceptions.

I don't buy this!

This retailer is simply trying to pass you a receiver that they have had in their inventory for over a year. They know darn well that they needed a new smart card, but they didn't want to spend the $50 out of their pocket so they went ahead and installed it anyways in hopes that Dish would send out the card once the receiver is activated.

Im sorry to say this, but your retailer is totally to blame on this one!

As a retailer myselfe everything I have in stock has the new card, I have not installed a receiver without a new card in over 6 months, and its been almost a year since Dish has been shipping new cards with all their receivers.

I would call up the retailer and tell him to either come and give you a Purple G3 card, or come pick up the equipment!
That BS!! I see that as another way charlie sticks it to the little guy!!! The retailer shouldn't have too pay for it. I wonder if the person who comes up with ways to stick retailer gets a commission. Just like they nickel and dime us they stick it to the retailer more!!!

I don't think they can do that anymore though. Problem is that even if they do manage to activate the receiver on the customer's account most of the programming has been switched to the new encryption. So what'll most likely happen is they'll see a lot of error messages stating that the card is not able to view the programming they're trying to watch with one or two exceptions.
I'll check it out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)