Retailer of record

leftlike945

Original poster
Jan 27, 2006
Hello,

Has anybody ever been successful in changing who DISH recognizes as their "retailer of record"? I have used the same one for about 15 years but he recently retired and I don't like who he left his company to. DISH has said this can never be changed and that I must use that retailer for my service calls.

Has anyone else ever had this problem?

Hello,

Has anybody ever been successful in changing who DISH recognizes as their "retailer of record"? I have used the same one for about 15 years but he recently retired and I don't like who he left his company to. DISH has said this can never be changed and that I must use that retailer for my service calls.

If they are the only one in your area, meaning Dish has none of their own installers, then yes, but I would contact DIRT to make sure.
DIRT=Dish Internet Response Team. On line members can be found at the bottom of the FORUM page, in RED. Shoot one a PM.

Hello,

When you call Dish with a technical issue, and need a technician, it's sent to the DNS hub to dispatch. I cannot tell you what the DNS hub does or does not have, but my understanding is that when you can Dish for a tech issue, and Dish determines that a tech is needed, you're going to get a Dish employed tech, or a Dish contractor. To get the retailer to send someone, you have to contact the retailer directly.

I've never heard of anywhere (save for remote parts of Alaska) where a customer is FORCED to do tech visits through a retailer.

I've set up thousands of tech visits, and at least at the call center level, who the retailer is or was never factors into setting up a tech at the call center level. Again, going through Dish is different than going through a retailer.

Any techs want to chime in? Are the tech visits set up differently at the DNS hub for you when the customer has or had a retailer? I know that for recent retailer installs, it's most likely different, but when a customer has been a 10+ year customer?

I've had long time customers call dish for service. Those with pp seem to automatically get forwarded to me. They give me the option to accept or reject it, most times I accept.

Here's the thing. I have always used the same retailer and really enjoyed it. However he has retired and left his company to his former sidekick. The new guy is not even close to the same level of knowledge or customer service.

I have found a new retailer that I am interested in using extensively. However, apparently he can't get my service calls because I have a "retailer of record". Apparently my only options are to allow DISH to send someone directly or use the aforementioned retailer of record. I would like to change my retailer of record to the new company that I want to work with. DISH is telling me this is not an option and the retailer record can never be changed.

I'm most comfortable with using the same retailer over and over because we can establish a relationship and he can become familiar with my set up and ongoing needs.

I appreciate your advice and feedback!

Here's the thing. I have always used the same retailer and really enjoyed it. However he has retired and left his company to his former sidekick. The new guy is not even close to the same level of knowledge or customer service.

I have found a new retailer that I am interested in using extensively. However, apparently he can't get my service calls because I have a "retailer of record". Apparently my only options are to allow DISH to send someone directly or use the aforementioned retailer of record. I would like to change my retailer of record to the new company that I want to work with. DISH is telling me this is not an option and the retailer record can never be changed.

I'm most comfortable with using the same retailer over and over because we can establish a relationship and he can become familiar with my set up and ongoing needs.

Yes, that's the way it works. If you want to change you can cancel the service plan and call the new retailer and pay him directly when you need a service call. Any retailer including the new one can do upgrades and movers so that should fix you up.

You said Dish can someone directly? Why not do that? Or, as was suggested, call the other retailer directly, and pay them to come out and provide service.

You said Dish can someone directly? Why not do that? Or, as was suggested, call the other retailer directly, and pay them to come out and provide service.

If you have Dish send some one around here you get the RSP who might or might not show up, the tech might or might not be able to speak english, they might or might not have bathed or showered recently and this might or might not be their first day on the job, if you get my meaning. :)

Just to add to my last post, the DirecTV techs around here are even worse. They're sub-contractors, some of whom work out of the trunks of their cars.

* In this case "they're" is meant as they are. :)

Only on commercial can you change the retailer of record, as the residuals are 15% of your bill.

As far as residential where the residuals are typically $1 or less, those changes are never approved.

As far as the service plan, a retailer makes $2 per month and I believe gets a $19 payment for going out. As a retailer we don't mind doing a service call for $19 once every few years, but the customers requesting a technician every few months, we end up rejecting the trouble call and let Dish Handel it. We loose money at $19 rolling a truck.

As far as changing your retailer for residential, your better off just finding someone and paying them for their service.

Many years ago, I wanted an upgrade or something. Maybe it was a trouble call. I was directed to deal with my Retailer of Record. Only he stopped selling Dish and later stopped servicing. It was only until after he went out of business entirely that I never dealt with him again. Or maybe that was coincidence and the policy changed.

I just vaguely remember being directed to deal with him. Maybe it was another retailer I was speaking with and it had to do with the old guy getting credit even if work was done by the new guy.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

?I used a local retailer when I upgraded from a 625 on WA to a 722 on EA back in 2011. Would that mean I now have that retailer of record on my account?

?I used a local retailer when I upgraded from a 625 on WA to a 722 on EA back in 2011. Would that mean I now have that retailer of record on my account?

No, not usually. The ROR is the retailer you originally signed up with.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)