Retired - Downsizing Suggestions

chc59

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Aug 31, 2007
Dalton, Ohio
Recently retired. Dish bill is $174.78/month. Way too much now. Now getting Americas Everything, Locals, Multi-Sport, and 1 extra receiver. Would like to keep Locals and the extra receiver. Appreciate any suggestions you might have to get the most bang for my Social Security buck.

Joe

Drop from America's Everything down to America's Top 250, and ask Dish for any available deals for free premium channels. For example, other customers have reported getting HBO and Cinemax for free for six months. Even the half-price deals on premiums that Dish regularly advertises would save you money compared to paying full price for America's Everything.

Decide what you really need for programming, then pick out what you would like. Now look at the programming packages and see what comes close to your likes. Do you need premium movie services, they add up fast, many rentals are cheaper than monthly subscriptions if you only want a few movies.
Personally I use OTA plus DISH Welcome pack with a 211K with HDD. Dallas OTA gets me about 90 channels, at least 1/2 I don't watch and Welcome Pack runs me $21.79/mo.

Decide what you really need for programming, then pick out what you would like. Now look at the programming packages and see what comes close to your likes. Do you need premium movie services, they add up fast, many rentals are cheaper than monthly subscriptions if you only want a few movies.
Personally I use OTA plus DISH Welcome pack with a 211K with HDD. Dallas OTA gets me about 90 channels, at least 1/2 I don't watch and Welcome Pack runs me $21.79/mo.
For that matter, the local public library usually has a good selection of movies on DVD and Blu-ray, and you can check them out for free. :)

You could also go full time RVing. More and more retirees are considering this action. Even if they rarely or never move it.

Then one TV would probably be fine!

:)

That's what I plan to do when I retire, although my daughter has a big issue with it.

Thanks to this forum, I was able to save a bunch of money with Dish, too. Like boba said, if the OP can decide what he really needs for programming, besides locals, we can help suggest a package that would maybe save some money.

Reactions: pattykay
Get the existing customer discounts. Top 200 (Which has nearly the same channels as Top 250 minus the Encore SD channels and just a couple others and minus one set of music channels but keeps SiriusXM and the CD music channels) would be $59.99 including locals and with autopay with a two year contract and no increase in package price for those two years. Too many options for receivers and it depends on how many tuners you need etc to give good advice without knowing what you want. Add whatever else you want such as Multi Sport if you need it.

Recently retired. Dish bill is $174.78/month. Way too much now. Now getting Americas Everything, Locals, Multi-Sport, and 1 extra receiver. Would like to keep Locals and the extra receiver. Appreciate any suggestions you might have to get the most bang for my Social Security buck.

Joe
Make a list of the channels that you watch the most. On the second tv, do you watch different programs at the same time, if not you can run an HDMI cable to the second tv, like I did and remove the second receiver. Next, go to the Dish site and compare packages to see what package has the closest to the channels that you really watch. I found that Welcome pack had all but two of the channels that I liked and I quickly got used to not having those channels. I like football, but NFL network only plays one game this season of my favorite team. Big deal, there is still plenty to watch and you will find new programs that you like by just trying them out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)