Return to HD after storm?

Mister B

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jun 3, 2008
El Paso County Texas
We have been having a lot of thunderstorms in West Texas lately. As a storm approaches I will see a message on screen that HD has been lost and switching to SD version. If the storm is bad enough of course SD goes out also. Sometimes after the storm the Hopper will return to the HD version, other times I have to change channels to get back to HD. This has not happened during a recording yet, but I would hate to have to finish a favorite show in SD. Is there any setting that I am missing that would force it to always return to HD? Frankly, I am surprised that every channel is still being simulcast in SD at this point in time. It seems like a massive waste of bandwidth.

The days of SD are slowly coming to an end, and for many markets there is no SD version. I Can't answer for the Hopper, but my VIP receivers don't return back to HD once they have gone to SD because of a storm. However the recording does start again in HD while I am still watching SD. I don't know the HD is back till I try.

my VIP receivers don't return back to HD once they have gone to SD because of a storm.

Just selecting the same channel will switch it back. That's assuming you have set up your receivers to go to HD when there are both HD and SD channels...

Reactions: Tampa8
Pretty cool feature even if it does not automatically return to HD.

Yup. This would have worked great when I had mixed arc. Alas, by the time they invented this feature, I was on EA and all the LNBs are going pretty much through the same atmosphere, so they all go out at once. :( The only help with SD channels on 72 appears to be that they've on hot transponders.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)