Returning customer, need advice

Redwald

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 20, 2017
Sacramento, CA
Thinking about coming back to Dish after about 3 years being away. I previously had a Hopper w/Sling + 1 Joey which were stupid slow and lagging.

1- Is the Hopper 3 significantly faster?
2- I'd like to have separate DVRs, one in each room (the key to a blissful marriage). I read that this is possible with 2 Hopper 3's but I'd have to purchase the 2nd one + buy a DPH42 AND pay an additional DVR fee. Perhaps a Hopper3 + Duo or some other solution?
3- I already have the 1000.2 dish. Will that have to upgraded (I'm on west coast)? All other equipment was shipped back.
4- If I have to have a Joey for the 2nd room like last time, can you at least have 2 separate folders for the recordings?

Any thoughts about realizing this goal the cheapest and most efficient way are greatly appreciated.

1. YES!
2. Why not a H3 and Joey 3? 16 satellite tuners, no waiting.
3. LNB probably needs updating.
4. I don’t think folders can work quite that way.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Dish has introduced a Snap module that plugs into the top USB port and speeds up the Hopper with Sling and Joey menus and actions. Unfortunately currently it can not be used on two Hopper with sling units. Dish is working on a solution that will allow it to be used on 2 Hopper units. Several users have claimed that the speed matches the Hopper3.
Of course the Hopper3 has 16 tuners versus 3 tuners on the Hopper with Sling. Two Hopper3 receivers would require a DPH42 powered switch. Plus you need to buy and own the second Hopper3 receiver.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I would go with a single Hopper 3 with a Joey 3. You can establish recordings that go to individual folders. I have a folder set up for myself and one for my wife. Recordings directed to those folders are for our individual tastes. I allow those programs that we will watch together to go into the regular recording area. This works very well for us. A Hopper 3 had 16 tuners so you will never have a conflict for recording tuners. The Hopper 3 and Joey 3 are very fast, way faster than what you had before. Your 1000.2 dish will be just fine but it will need a hybrid LNB and you will need a hybrid hub.

4 - multiple folders can be created on the hopper 3 although I'm not sure of the maximum number. When creating a timer it is optional to specify a folder for the recording. The default is no folder. Within the folder it will create subfolders if there are multiple episodes of a program.

On an external HDD I haven't found any way to create subfolders. It only has folders when there are multiple episodes of programs.

The folders have worked very well for us. For me the only reason to have a second hopper would be to have a backup receiver but our hopper 3 had been very reliable.

Reactions: navychop
Thanks for all the great responses!

Just thought of a couple more questions...

1- What is the Duo? I see that it has a 500gb drive. That would seem to solve the problem of 2 separate DVRs. But would it be allowed with a Hopper3? If so, what would the additional monthly charge be?

2- Can you still use PIP (or some equivalent button) to watch 2 channels by putting one on pause and switching to another channel, then putting it on pause, then switching back to the original channel, take it off pause and skip commercials while the 2nd channel is still buffering?

Thanks for all the great responses!

Just thought of a couple more questions...

1- What is the Duo? I see that it has a 500gb drive. That would seem to solve the problem of 2 separate DVRs. But would it be allowed with a Hopper3? If so, what would the additional monthly charge be?

2- Can you still use PIP (or some equivalent button) to watch 2 channels by putting one on pause and switching to another channel, then putting it on pause, then switching back to the original channel, take it off pause and skip commercials while the 2nd channel is still buffering?

1- Only one Hopper Duo is allowed per account. Not allowed with any other Hopper.
2- Yes you can and with a Hopper 3 and MultiView you can watch or buffer up to 4 things at the same time.

I watching the Women’s World Cup in 4K on a daily basis right now.

How's the resolution/quality on that 4K image? i have an awesome Sony (real) 4K front projector on a 110" screen but haven't checked out any DISH 4K programs yet. I figured it would be a waste of time considering it's a compressed signal.

We have the latest Hopper 3 and Joey 4K rig and love it.

How's the resolution/quality on that 4K image? i have an awesome Sony (real) 4K front projector on a 110" screen but haven't checked out any DISH 4K programs yet. I figured it would be a waste of time considering it's a compressed signal.

We have the latest Hopper 3 and Joey 4K rig and love it.
It looks quite good. I find that streaming it via Fox Sports looks a bit better but some of these games start at 6AM PDT and that's somewhat early for me. All of the games are morning or early afternoon and being retired that's not such an issue for me but for the working person recording it is the best bet. There are some free 4K productions available on the Hopper, seek them out and give it a try.

... You can establish recordings that go to individual folders. I have a folder set up for myself and one for my wife. Recordings directed to those folders are for our individual tastes. I allow those programs that we will watch together to go into the regular recording area. This works very well for us. ...
We do something similar here; prevents accidental deletions amongst the household "WTF I didn't record that! DELETE DELETE DELETE" ;)

Reactions: TheKrell
To get you closer, look in On Demand: Menu (or Home, Home), On Demand, 4K Movies and Shows.

Appreciate ya, but you have to connect to the internet which is not an option for us due to a cap of 10GB per month. I live in the boonies and have sat internet service.

To get you closer, look in On Demand: Menu (or Home, Home), On Demand, 4K Movies and Shows.

I gather that information is only available to H3 units. I’d think it of interest to folks with HWS units that might be considering a move to the H3.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I gather that information is only available to H3 units. I’d think it of interest to folks with HWS units that might be considering a move to the H3.

If you put that information on the HWS you generate phone calls that question why it doesn’t work on the HWS. People will think the HWS is 4K capable.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)