Returning Customer - What to expect on install?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jetman

Original poster
Oct 15, 2003
A little background: I had DirecTV for several years before cancelling and getting a grey market subscription to BEV, mainly for the HD programming. Now that D* is expanding their HD lineup I'm returning to DirecTV (still keeping a reduced programming package on BEV). Install is scheduled for next Saturday afternoon. I'm having an HR20 and two standard receivers installed, along with a Slimline dish.

I would prefer to do my own install, but that's not an option unless I want to give up the incentives D* is offering. In general, how is the quality of the installers? I'm really picky and it's important to me to have a neat, professional job. In fact, today I ran RG6 to all the rooms I will have set up because I really don't want the installer fishing cable through my walls and ceiling. Hopefully he won't give me a hard time about this - after all, I'm making his job easier.

Does the average installer have much experience setting up the Slimline dish? I see very, very few of them in my area. Will the install include an antenna to receive OTA HD? D* offers some, but not all, of my locals in HD.

Finally, does D* have a history of missed appointments? Although I'm not at work on Saturday I still don't want to wait and wind up with a no call/no show situation.

Like I stated, I would much rather do the install myself, but any tips from fellow forum members on how to make the install go smoother (questions to ask, things to watch out for, etc.) would be much appreciated.

Thanks much!

I just switched back to DirecTV and my local installer/dealer let me take the gear and do the install myself. They had no problem at all! I also got the current promotions. I am VERY happy with DirecTV!

A little background: I had DirecTV for several years before cancelling and getting a grey market subscription to BEV, mainly for the HD programming. Now that D* is expanding their HD lineup I'm returning to DirecTV (still keeping a reduced programming package on BEV). Install is scheduled for next Saturday afternoon. I'm having an HR20 and two standard receivers installed, along with a Slimline dish.

I would prefer to do my own install, but that's not an option unless I want to give up the incentives D* is offering. In general, how is the quality of the installers? I'm really picky and it's important to me to have a neat, professional job. In fact, today I ran RG6 to all the rooms I will have set up because I really don't want the installer fishing cable through my walls and ceiling. Hopefully he won't give me a hard time about this - after all, I'm making his job easier.

Did you run two cables for the HR20? Also, did they come out to one central point that is fairly close to a ground source (within 20 feet or so), and has a clear view of the souther sky? Did you run phone cable to each outlet also? Most installers are very happy to use prewire, because it saves them time and having to drill through your walls or floors.
Does the average installer have much experience setting up the Slimline dish? I see very, very few of them in my area. Will the install include an antenna to receive OTA HD? D* offers some, but not all, of my locals in HD.

This depends upon how long they have been installing. Most installers in my area average 4-8 HD installs per week. An OTA antenna is not included in your standard installation, and you should expect to pay extra for it if you want the D* installer to install it. In addition, OTA can not be diplexed in with the new HD so it will require a seperate cable run to any TV that you want to receive it.

Finally, does D* have a history of missed appointments? Although I'm not at work on Saturday I still don't want to wait and wind up with a no call/no show situation.

Unfortunately, this does happen. Even more so right now because of the overbooking of techs caused by the NFL Sunday Ticket deal and the launch of the new HD channels. What time is your appointment window? If it is an AM appointment, you are less likely to be missed or rescheduled because of overbooking.

Like I stated, I would much rather do the install myself, but any tips from fellow forum members on how to make the install go smoother (questions to ask, things to watch out for, etc.) would be much appreciated.

Thanks much!

As an installer, I am always grateful to any customer that has actually moved their furniture/TV/entertainment center out from the wall about 3 feet or so, allowing me to get behind the TV and make all of my connections.

Did you run two cables for the HR20? Also, did they come out to one central point that is fairly close to a ground source (within 20 feet or so), and has a clear view of the souther sky? Did you run phone cable to each outlet also? Most installers are very happy to use prewire, because it saves them time and having to drill through your walls or floors

I dd run two cables for the HR20. All cables run to the basement and come out of the south end of my house about a foot off the ground, right near where my D* was previously installed. There are phone jacks near the TVs in two rooms, but not in the third. I guess I'll have to add another jack...

This depends upon how long they have been installing. Most installers in my area average 4-8 HD installs per week. An OTA antenna is not included in your standard installation, and you should expect to pay extra for it if you want the D* installer to install it. In addition, OTA can not be diplexed in with the new HD so it will require a seperate cable run to any TV that you want to receive it.

The OTA antenna is not a big deal, since I still have my BEV subscription for the CBS and PBS stations that D* does not offer in HD. If it was free, I would have taken it, though.

Unfortunately, this does happen. Even more so right now because of the overbooking of techs caused by the NFL Sunday Ticket deal and the launch of the new HD channels. What time is your appointment window? If it is an AM appointment, you are less likely to be missed or rescheduled because of overbooking.

Unfortunately I have a PM appointment. Couldn't get AM. I can understand the overbooking, but I will not be happy if the installer does not have the courtesy to call if he can't make it.

As an installer, I am always grateful to any customer that has actually moved their furniture/TV/entertainment center out from the wall about 3 feet or so, allowing me to get behind the TV and make all of my connections.

I will move furniture to give the installer easy access. Thanks for your reply. Sounds like you are a top-notch installer. I wish you were coming to my house:)

I dd run two cables for the HR20. All cables run to the basement and come out of the south end of my house about a foot off the ground, right near where my D* was previously installed. There are phone jacks near the TVs in two rooms, but not in the third. I guess I'll have to add another jack...

The OTA antenna is not a big deal, since I still have my BEV subscription for the CBS and PBS stations that D* does not offer in HD. If it was free, I would have taken it, though.

Unfortunately I have a PM appointment. Couldn't get AM. I can understand the overbooking, but I will not be happy if the installer does not have the courtesy to call if he can't make it.

I will move furniture to give the installer easy access. Thanks for your reply. Sounds like you are a top-notch installer. I wish you were coming to my house:)

You want the tech to show up, Call D* and note the job cust will do own install.

Yup. I've done my "own" installs with both Dish and DirecTV. All the cables were run ahead of time, the installer left me to attach the receivers while he mounts the dish, and everyone is happy that it went so easy.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)