Returning dead 622 - void warranty after 10 days?

jkinghome

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 2, 2006
I had a replacement 622 sent to me last Thursday - I was told to wait for a UPS return label to send the old one - I was also told that if I do not return it within 10 days of receiving the replacement - my warranty will be void.

Didn't receive the label - called E* and they told me that they will send me another one - I told them I was concerned that I needed to send it back within 10 days - they confirmed that and said the label should come in time.

Called two days ago, a CSR told me that the "label is in transit" - told him that my ten days will be up on Monday - he said that it is not correct that the warranty will void and to send it back ASAP not 10 days.

Who is correct here?? Anyone had a similar experience?

Are you sure there was no return label/paperwork included with the replacement unit? I thought that was the standard practice.

I don't think failure to return a defective unit will have anything to do with the warranty on the replacement. If anything E* would put a charge on your account to cover the "new" unit (full value, ~$700?) until the defective one is returned. If it's never returned then they would be coming after you to pay that bill...

BRgds...

Last edited:
Is this a leased unit? I don't understand why a leased unit would have or need a warrantee. You are leasing their equipment. If it ever fails they should replace it. It also seems that the $6/month warrantee (DHP) would be unnecessary/redundant for leased equipment. Am I missing something?

rixhd said:
Is this a leased unit? I don't understand why a leased unit would have or need a warrantee. You are leasing their equipment. If it ever fails they should replace it. It also seems that the $6/month warrantee (DHP) would be unnecessary/redundant for leased equipment. Am I missing something?
My $1.99/Month Waranty covers not just my leased receivers but also my owned receivers and also the cabling and Dish 500 and Switches that I installed years ago.

Last edited:
I understand why the warrantee is useful for non-leased equipment. I have the $6 warrantee now myself on my 721 and 921 and have used it. I bought it mainly for the inevitable hard drive failures. However, when I upgrade to two leased 622's, I'm having second thoughts about renewing my warrantee. Isn't it true that leased equipment is serviced/replaced "free" by Dish for the life of the lease? That is one of main advantages of leasing in addition to the low up front costs and having access to the latest equipment.

after a while, the actual replacement is 19.99(the most i've seen w/ a lease), but you still have to pay shipping. Get on someone's good side, and they'll waive it. Dhpp, you don't have to pay anything for a replacement, but you do have to pay 29 for a service call(i hate it). You don't have to 'renew' your warranty, you can cancel at any time, and sign up at anytime.

rixhd said:
... Isn't it true that leased equipment is serviced/replaced "free" by Dish for the life of the lease? ...

No. And what about your antenna, switches, cabling, separaters, etc, etc?

SaltiDawg said:
No. And what about your antenna, switches, cabling, separaters, etc, etc?

None of that equipment is leased on my system. I've purchased and installed it all myself. I wouldn't expect Dish to service it. It's all fairly cheap and reliable since I don't have any external switches.

I was referring only to the leased 622. I have had more problems with hard drives failing than anything else. I would think that a leased box would be covered for the life of the lease assuming no abuse.

I've heard that the $6 warrantee is free for the first 6 months of the lease anyway, so I wouldn't cancel for awhile. I would also keep the warrantee until my 721 is replaced with a second leased 622.

What's really unusual about the warrantee is that you can have a problem outside the warrantee, call them up and request to start the warrantee and they cover the pre-existing problem. My hard drive died on my owned 721 before I had the warrantee. I called them up about the problem, joined the program and they replaced my 721. I certainly can't complain about that.

rixhd said:
None of that equipment is leased on my system. I've purchased and installed it all myself. I wouldn't expect Dish to service it. It's all fairly cheap and reliable since I don't have any external switches.
Doh. This was my point. You asked why pay for a Warranty when you have a leased system... it's to cover "I've purchased and installed it all myself." If you don't feel the need to cover that stuff, maybe paying for coverage isn't for you.:D

Last edited:
Guess I'm going to have work on my communication skills. I was really looking for confirmation from someone that a leased box that breaks is covered by Dish without the warrantee. :eek:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)