Returning Dish Customer Deals

srbsrbsrb2000

Original poster
Jul 14, 2005
I have been reading this forum for several months and want to thank everyone for their posts. They have been very helpfull. I have a question I was hoping someone might be able to help me with. My fathr was a Dish Customer for 5 years, he left Dish exactly 1 year ago for a cable deal. He wants to return to Dish subscribing to the Everything pack, locals, and the 2 German Language stations. He has a Dish 500 already installed from last year, but would require a SuperDish for the German Stations. He has a Dishplayer and 3100 receiver which he will not reactivate as I will give him my old 501 receiver and he would like to add a 522 or 625. During his 5 years with Dish he never upgraded his receivers. He called Dish and they told him no deals were available and he would have to pay list price for the reciever and the SuperDish. A loacl retailer told him to put the account in my mothers name, and everything would be free. He scheduled an appointment, but then the dealer cancelled saying that Dish denied the installation because he was an existing customer. My father would commit to a 1 or 2 year deal, but the CSR's at Dish said nothing can be done. Does anyone know if this is correct or just misinformed CSR's. It seems silly that Dish would turn down over $100 per month over some equipment, but would give away equipment for a "new" customer that only has to commit to a much cheaper package.

Call DISH and play CSR roulette if everyone gives the same answer that is the answer. DISH is in charge of who they welcome back as a returning customer and what they offer them to return. Retail dealers have no control of DISH offres.

Call Dish directly (not a retailer) and ask about the Former Sub DHA plan. I just did this on June 25th. It requires a 24 month commitment but, you will get your locals (superdish for free if needed) and new receiver(s). This is a lease plan and includes the extended warranty for free for the contract term. I also received as a promotion, the HBO and Showtime packages free for three months. Upfront cost is $49 but, you will receive a $49 credit on your first bill making it free!

I was a Dish sub for 5 years and then switched to Direct last year. As soon as my year with Direct was up I decided to come back to Dish for the Dual tuner receiver (saves me money on second receiver) and I just plain prefer Dish over Direct. In my opinion, and this is just my opinion, Dish's PQ is better and the channel order (grouping) makes more sense, as Direct's channel order is a jumbled mess.

chaddux said:
DISH is launching some new promotions in August. One is called DHA-18. More info:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=76627

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=43897

I just went through those threads, and it says they'll be discontinuing one and two year contracts and going with 18 month ones. Does that mean if we signed a 2 year contract, we'll also get cut down to 18 months?

That would be great, not because I want to quit Dish, but because I just hate being locked into a contract. Sometimes I think that contracts are actually bad for business too, because 1) people hesitate and think twice before trying out the service and 2) it's just a "stuck in the contract" mentality. When you are stuck, you can't wait for it to end to try another service. But when you are on a month-to-month and not locked in, then you would rather even pay a little more or get a little less, just because you feel "special" that you are not locked into a contract.

I feel the opposite. I am very happy with E* and have no problems paying one year ahead for programming. I guess this is not quite the same as a contract, but getting 12 months for the price of 11 is pretty cool. But I'm not a DHA leaser; I've owned all my receivers since the beginning.

netsfan said:
I just went through those threads, and it says they'll be discontinuing one and two year contracts and going with 18 month ones. Does that mean if we signed a 2 year contract, we'll also get cut down to 18 months?

You sign a two year agreement, you live with the two year agreement. Why would they let you out of a contract that you choose to sign?

kavula said:
I feel the opposite. I am very happy with E* and have no problems paying one year ahead for programming. I guess this is not quite the same as a contract, but getting 12 months for the price of 11 is pretty cool. But I'm not a DHA leaser; I've owned all my receivers since the beginning.

I guess it's cool if they give you a discount.

I've been through this with cell phones before. For instance, I once kept a Sprint plan MUCH longer than I should have, even though better deals were available, just because I was on month-to-month. I guess it's a state of mind that differs from person to person. :)

It also depends on the hassle. If I were in your position, I probably would keep Sprint as well, unless the service and prices were better on the other side of the fence. I probably would keep Sprint unless I could be saving more than a few bucks.

jmeluni said:
Call Dish directly (not a retailer) and ask about the Former Sub DHA plan.
Why not call a retailer? I'm a retailer and have done 2 Formers DHAs this week. Usually, a retailer will give you a higher quality install and better customer service.

xcableguy said:
Why not call a retailer? I'm a retailer and have done 2 Formers DHAs this week. Usually, a retailer will give you a higher quality install and better customer service.
Yeah! I just did one yesterday.

Either way, a "former DHA" is a 24-month commit - and I'm thinking it'll stay that way even after the "new DHA" switches to 18-month.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts