REVIEW - AI Turbo S2 Meter - The BEST Gets BETTER!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Big thanks to Scott H. and Scott G. for providing me with all the info I need on the AI TurboS2 . Finding more and more this tool will do :)

Repointed a DPP500 dish today. Had some trouble with IDing the 110 and 119 sats. The meter doesn't seem to be able to tell the difference between the two when asked to auto ID. It always came up with 119 as the one it ID'd even when it apparently was on 110. It might be something with the internal LNB switch in the DPP that confuses the issue. I will keep this under observation in the future. The meter is new to me but seems to be very user friendly.

Repointed a DPP500 dish today. Had some trouble with IDing the 110 and 119 sats. The meter doesn't seem to be able to tell the difference between the two when asked to auto ID. It always came up with 119 as the one it ID'd even when it apparently was on 110. It might be something with the internal LNB switch in the DPP that confuses the issue. I will keep this under observation in the future. The meter is new to me but seems to be very user friendly.
Whens the last time you updated the software?

Dish has moved around some transponders which probably caused the false id. :)

I am on top of that Scott. My meter is updated and kept that way. I get an email from AI when the updates are available :) I have done another DPP500 since and did not have an issue as I recall. This meter rocks!:first:

This is by far the best meter I have ever own.

For example I have lined up 105 on a bent 6 foot dish mounted to a trailer in less then 60 seconds. No more dragging a TV around no more long power cables. Just perfect signal every time. Plus you can fine tune thus reducing rain fade.

The only downside is your neighbors may think your even more crazy lol.

I am wanting to ID with my first strike meter by finding a transponder that is on 110 that is not on 119 and vice versa on all the Dish satellites. How can you find that info? Is that how this AI Turbo meter works when doing a software update in that it finds unique transponder data from each satellite? I want to find that info to put into my First Strike meter to help me identify the different satellites better.

More than likely has something to do with their spot beams. You have to input your region into the meter during setup. I'm not really sure how it's done exactly.

Isn't there software that one can download into the First Strike with settings? Maybe there are software updates for it so that one can better distinguish the signals like with the spot beams? Or maybe there are too many different spot beams to have such a thing done.

Who can afford an $850 meter? That's just way out of line and just NUTS, unless you are an installer, or engineer or something like that.

Lol when my wife found out I bought one lets just say we got some new house things.

Yes $850 is a lot. But it will take your hobby to the next level.

When you compare to other hobbies like Golf, Sports Cars, Boats, Planes, 4 wheelers, Diving, Rock Climbing etc.... $850 is a deal.

When you compare to other hobbies like Golf, Sports Cars, Boats, Planes, 4 wheelers, Diving, Rock Climbing etc.... $850 is a deal.
For the time I spend trying to setup my dishs without a meter or using other meters, this meter paid for itself quick. Time is money and there is no better meter on the market, period.

For the time I spend trying to setup my dishs without a meter or using other meters, this meter paid for itself quick. Time is money and there is no better meter on the market, period.

I agree 100%. You really don't know how much better the meter is until you try it.

With that said I have a booth at the Greater Louisville Hamfest 2012 this Saturday and I will have my AI Turbo S2 so stop by and check it out. (I highly doubt any satguys will but if someone does I will hook them up they will leave with a big smile):D

Paroquet Springs Conference Centre
395 Paroquet Springs Drive
Shepherdsville, KY 40165-6007

FYI - The newest meter out from Applied Instruments is the model XR-3.

The XR-3 is a modular test instrument. It consists of the XR-3 base instrument and easily swappable modules (users can easily swap modules in under 10 seconds). Presently we offer 3 modules:
1) Turbo S2 satellite meter module (part number XR-TS2-01) – to be used for DISH Network, DIRECTV, Shaw Direct, Bell TV, Free to Air (i.e. Galaxy 19 97W), Sagenet/Spacenet Ku band, WildBlue (now ViaSat, but NOT the new Exede product) and most commercial broadcast C-Band TVRO.
2) VSAT-ACM satellite meter module (part number XR-S2ACM-01) to be used for iDirect, Hughes Ka Jupiter non wideband terminals and Hughes Ku Band, Free to Air (i.e. Galaxy 19 97W), Sagenet/Spacenet Ku band, generic Ku Band VSAT, and commercial broadcast C-Band TVRO.
3) Cable Off-Air meter module (part number XR-CA-01) to be used for analog cable tv (NTSC, PAL, SECAM), digital cable tv (QAM64 & QAM256, Annex B), and digital over-the-air/off-air VHF/UHF antennas (8VSB).

XR-3 with Satellite Meter Module Benefits Over Popular Super Buddy 29 Satellite Meter:
1) Although the initial purchase price of the XR-3 is higher than the Super Buddy’s, the XR-3 is a better value over the life
of the instrument than the Super Buddy is.
2) The long-term life of the XR-3’s battery is almost double of the long-term life of the Super Buddy’s battery. When the
battery wears out in a few years, it’s easy for the user to replace the XR-3’s battery. And the run time per charge of the
XR-3’s Li-Ion battery is about double of the Super Buddy’s Ni-MH battery, so there is a performance benefit, too.
3) The XR-3 with Turbo S2 satellite meter module can power a DISH Network node (can even power a Duo node and
DISH LNBF for 2 hours and 20 minutes continuously)
4) Compatible with DVB-S2 CCM signals (QPSK & 8PSK)
5) The boot-up, satellite signal locking, software updates, Limit Scans, and Proof of Performance Scans are quicker on the XR-3.
6) The display on the XR-3 is a higher resolution color display, which is much easier to see than the Super Buddy’s lower resolution monochrome display.
7) The XR-3’s color display performs better than the Super Buddy’s monochrome display across broad temperature ranges (in extreme heat and cold).
8) A user can purchase multiple modules for various applications (i.e. VSAT, DBS, commercial satellite TVRO, Cable TV, VHF/UHF Over-The-Air) and quickly swap them on the jobsite as needed.
9) None of us has a crystal ball showing the future of technology, but the modular design provides some flexibility with future technology. As technology changes, it would only be necessary to purchase a new module instead of an entirely new meter.
10) Glow in the dark keypad on XR-3 instrument’s front panel
11) With regards to repairs, the XR-3’s modular design has benefits. In the unlikely event there is an issue with a module, only the tuner module would need to be sent back for service. So, it would be easy to troubleshoot by borrowing a known good working module from a colleague and temporarily swapping it with the faulty module to see if that resolves the issue. If it does, then the faulty module could be sent back to the factory for service (the module has a smaller box size, lighter weight, so cheaper shipping) and your head office could maybe have a few modules on hand to be loaners since the modules themselves are cheaper than an entire new meter.
12) The window protecting the display on the XR-3 is hard and thus will protect the LCD glass better than the Super Buddy’s film window covering the Super Buddy’s display, so this will result in less broken LCD’s (which means less units being sent to the factory to have broken LCDs replaced).
13) While not waterproof, the XR-3 (as long as the module is locked in place when outdoors) is more weatherproof than the Super Buddy, but it should still be shielded with a plastic bag or something by the user if the user is forced to work in a steady rain or downpour.
14) 250 to 2150 MHz tuning range – expanded 250-950 MHz tuning range is useful for MoCA signal presence testing & DIRECTV B-Band tuning

Which XR-3 Module Is Right For You?
If your work is:
• Dish Network, Bell TV, Shaw Direct - the Turbo S2 DBS module is the best choice
• DIRECTV – the Turbo S2 DBS module is the best choice
• C band video broadcast satellite reception (i.e. commercial TVRO satellite antenna farms at CATV headends) –
the Turbo S2 DBS module and the VSAT S2-ACM module are both fantastic choices
• VSAT / Mobile Satcom / Broadband / Data Terminal applications – the VSAT S2-ACM module is the best choice
• iDirect and some Hughes – the VSAT S2-ACM module is the best choice
• Commercial Low Ku Band (i.e. uplink trucks, teleports) – the Turbo S2 DBS module is fine, but the VSAT S2-ACM
module is the best choice
• DBS / DTH outside of North America – the VSAT S2-ACM module is the best choice
• VHF / UHF 8VSB off-air (high def digital ATSC over the air) antenna work – the Cable Air RF signal strength
meter module is the best choice
• Analog or digital QAM cable work in SMATV systems and mini-headends at MDU properties - the Cable Air RF
signal strength meter module is the best choice
In the event you have varied applications, you can easily swap the modules in about 10 seconds.

Related XR-3 Part Numbers
Model Name Part Number Description
XR-3 (part number XR-3)- Modular Test Instrument Base (modules sold separately)
DBS Module (part number XR-TS2-01)- Turbo S2 DBS Satellite Meter Module (North American DBS / Broadcast TVRO) for XR-3
VSAT Module (part numberXR-S2ACM-01) Satellite Meter Module (VSAT / Broadcast TVRO / DTH) for XR-3
Cable Air Module (part numberXR-CA-01)- CATV Off-Air Signal Meter Module (Cable J.83B QAM / 8VSB/ UHF / VHF) for XR-3
Protective Carrying Case (part number 978-00008) Hard Shell Protective Carrying Case with pre-cut internal foam padding

Thanks.

Scott Haywood

Applied Instruments, Inc.

5230 Elmwood Ave

Indianapolis, IN 46203

USA

Tel: 317.782.4331

Fax: 317.786.9665

Email: shaywood@appliedin.com

Hey Scott - Good to see you.

Great to see an American Company making great quality products. :) Keep up the great work!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts