Reviews: SatHawk PVR800 WorldDVB DVB-S2 HD FTA Receiver

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I've had a few more lockups :( This time it seems to be glitches in the stream, like when a feed goes off momentarily to change from camera to graphics or something like that.

I only had 2 lockups and both were on the same sat (93W...my true south) and usually when I press buttons too fast

I'm going to try later today and dont press any buttons right away after the dish moves :)

MyNet HD is choppy too, just watching it. This one is choppy almost instantly. The stutter isn't that noticable but is there.

Am I the only one who has this problem? Maybe it is the HDD/USB drive?

Anyone know why a linux box would support NTFS?

you're right...a setting made it work

IN the menu there is an option for digital out and the options are LPCM (default) and BS OUT which if you change to BS out then the AC-3 works :)

Cool. Thanks for the tip

Do you mean that it works with HDMI output, now? with the new setting, or just works with sonic voom headphones ?
:?

Am I the only one who has this problem? Maybe it is the HDD/USB drive?

Anyone know why a linux box would support NTFS?

Linux has had NTFS support for a while now. I'm not sure whether there are any legal issues involved, but it works fine.

Maybe they use it so you can record big files and not have to install a linux filesystem driver on your Windows PC.

The Audio Button will show you all the Audio Options and list AC3 or AAC if available.

Right, but that's not what I said. I said that the Coolsat 7000 would let you know that AC3 was available without any action on your part. The AC3 "light" on the info bar would light up when AC3 was available even if you're listening to the MPEG1 track. On the SatHawk, on the other hand, the "lights" change to display the actual track you're listening to. This is another user interface inconsistency: over on the left side of the info bar, all the encryption types (that I don't even recognize half of) have "lights" constantly shown, and the one that's active lights up. And in the center, you have "lights" for EPG, subtitles, and teletext constantly shown. But on the right side, where you have the video and audio formats, you only get the ones that are active. This cleaner format makes sense with video, since there's only one stream in a channel, but not at all with audio, where there can be MANY streams in a channel.

I found something else that I don't know if it's a bug, or just an unexpected way of doing things.

I just went through my channel lists for each satellite and marked all the encrypted channels as "skip". When I channel-surf with the up and down buttons, it skips them. So far, so good. But then I hit the OK button to bring up the pop-up channel list, and all the skipped channels are listed in there. This is less than ideal. I was expecting it to work like the Coolsat 7000, where in order to see the skipped channels you have to go back into the channel editor menu. It keeps them out of the pop-up list, which seems a sensible thing to do since the pop-up list is for convenience, right? So it looks like in order to get the list style I really want, I'll have to make a favorites list, which is something I haven't experimented with yet.

Just remember that all that work gets deleted with a Firmware update.

Yes, that's why I haven't done a favorites list yet. It took me til today to bother flagging the encrypted channels as skipped. And I haven't renamed any of the generic name / nameless channels either, like Ohio News on H2 or WCPE on AMC1. (At least I'm lucky that it picked up names for a bunch of Globecast channels that my Coolsat wouldn't.)

I just tried recording some video and viewing it on my computer.

The SatHawk has two recording options, TS (which it defaults to) and PS. I had assumed that these stood for Transport Stream and Program Stream, and that the former would record everything on the transponder and the latter would record only the audio and video streams corresponding to the channel you're recording.

However, the file sizes produced by these two options are almost identical. The PS option produced a well-behaved MPEG file that could be played in anything (disclaimer: I only tried MPEG2 SD so far), but the TS option, instead of producing a .ts file as I expected, produced a .dvr file. Windows wants to play this with Media Center, but I haven't found a way to make it work.

Does anyone know what the TS option is doing? We need to figure it out, since it's the default.

I tried that and still cant get it to work

Tried to delete and rescan and same thing

He probably means that it outputs the AC3 stream via HDMI, not that it decodes it to the HDMI output.

huh?

I'm confused. Normally HDMI will send audio and video and all the"normal" audio feeds play fine through HDMI

(disclaimer: I only tried MPEG2 SD so far), but the TS option, instead of producing a .ts file as I expected, produced a .dvr file. Windows wants to play this with Media Center, but I haven't found a way to make it work.
Does anyone know what the TS option is doing? We need to figure it out, since it's the default.

It names the file .dvr but its just a regular transport stream file. It works in Dvbviewer and a transport stream viewer I have. Just change the extension to .ts

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)