Reviews: SatHawk PVR800 WorldDVB DVB-S2 HD FTA Receiver

Status
Please reply by conversation.
> If this box is running Linux, according to the GNU General Public License, the source code must be made available or the manufacturer of the STB is in violation of the license. You might want to check out.

China violating the terms of the GNU? Who would have ever guessed. Good luck trying to get that enforced. You might have better luck cleaning up oil on the gulf coast.

The real problem is all of these receivers are designed for use outside of the United States and until one is made here in the states I seriously doubt these type of issues will ever be resolved. I some times think to myself that none of these receiver are type accepted by the FCC for use in the United states to begin with, I just haven't taken the time to prove it.

Last edited:
> If this box is running Linux, according to the GNU General Public License, the source code must be made available or the manufacturer of the STB is in violation of the license. You might want to check out.

China violating the terms of the GNU? Who would have ever guessed. Good luck trying to get that enforced. You might have better luck cleaning up oil on the gulf coast.

The real problem is all of these receivers are designed for use outside of the United States and until one is made here in the states I seriously doubt these type of issues will ever be resolved. I some times think to myself that none of these receiver are type accepted by the FCC for use in the United states to begin with, I just haven't taken the time to prove it.

I really don't understand the fascination with the FCC. They cock up damn near everything they touch, they are anti-consumer, pro RIAA/MPAA, all they do is make stuff WORSE. I don't want them anywhere near my FTA gear.

I own TWO Sathawks, and while they have issues, if you guys think this is bad you simply haven't had enough boxes run through your hands. Sathawks are better than most any box I have ever tried, and at last count it's over 15 different ones.

Yeah Jamal probably could say something, anything, I think he represented it pretty fairly, though. Kinda hard to MAKE someone fix something 10k miles away, when they don't have access to our equipment, or use our methods.

Face it guys, we're bleeding edge here. We take the lumps, and enjoy (or not) the results. In all honesty, if you can't deal with it, I got a number for ya. 1-800-directv. Then you won't have to deal with it anymore.

Now,I don't like it either, but sometimes you have to deal with the hand you're dealt. :up

> I really don't understand the fascination with the FCC.

The FCC ensures that devices that enter the United States do not cause harmful interference to the radio spectrum, while that may mean nothing to you, it means the world to ham radio operators who have to put up with your Chinese garbage ruining the HF spectrum with noise.

I am sure the other radio operators in here would whole heartily agree. As for your comment that if people don't want to be on the bleeding edge, they should go buy DirecTV that was uncalled for. I can only speak for myself and I knew this receiver was a crap shoot, hence thats why I choose not to buy one.

That is one of the reasons I enjoy this hobby, others however may expect that when a promise or expectation is made in good faith that it is indeed fulfilled.

Fixing the remote is easy. Use a soldering gun and re-position the IR emitting diode on the remote. It is being blocked by the plastic casing. You might also want to do same to the receiving end on the receiver. I did the above and my remote is working like magic.

Thanks for posting the remote fix. Since my IR diode was in the clear, though noticeably off center, I would not have tried the fix. However after reading your fix, gave it a try and it worked like a champ. :up The only problem was getting the remote apart. I spent almost an hour trying to get it opened and failed. My son however, got the remote apart in a matter of a few minutes. :)
Rob

> I really don't understand the fascination with the FCC.

The FCC ensures that devices that enter the United States do not cause harmful interference to the radio spectrum, while that may mean nothing to you, it means the world to ham radio operators who have to put up with your Chinese garbage ruining the HF spectrum with noise.

I am sure the other radio operators in here would whole heartily agree.
<snip>

Haven't noticed any new interference or change in my HF noise floor here since adding the SatHawk receiver. I'm active on 10-160m and we seem to coexist quite well.
'QBH

Im willing to be a test pilot. Can anynody give me some links for Ali m3602 firmware for different boxes?

Files loads fine.
I modded the Remote too
I also modded the Front panel hoping for better Remote Performance.
The file was corrupt the first time i downloaded. But works fine now. I am happy everyone is fixing their remotes now and enjoying it. Sadoun should give me discount for coming up with the fix :D

Sanjap, Nice fix.

We had a similar issue in the past with the Fortec Dynamic. the receiving sensor was blocked by the front panel plastic and also the ribbon connector came lose. That was fixed in later lots.

I will pass your fix to the factory to get it fixed. Feedback like yours is highly appreciated.

Thank you.

Is there any way to get AC3 sound working down HDMI?
I have a Discovery HD channel on Sky UK that only transmits AC3 sound, box is connected via HDMI to my Sony TV.

Is it a hardware or software problem?

I have the same problem of no audio when on a channel with ac-3 audio. I had to use the spdif on sat receiver & connect it to my av receiver. I only get stereo out of my av receiver on a channel with ac-3 audio. Anybody else have this problem?

I only get stereo out of my av receiver on a channel with ac-3 audio. Anybody else have this problem?
Are you trying to pass the AC3 signal from your TV back to a AV Receiver?
If so, as I found out, most TV's will not do so.

I had to use the spdif on sat receiver & connect it to my av receiver.
That would be correct.

I have a cable going directly to my av receiver & only get stereo audio.
I have a cheap $100 walmart av receiver in bed room with other sathawk I have & surround sound works fine. My main av unit is a yamaha.

After Doing the Remote Fix My Remote Is Dead.I Don't See Anything Wrong But It Will Not Work. :mad:

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    182.5 KB · Views: 136
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)