Reviews: SatHawk PVR800 WorldDVB DVB-S2 HD FTA Receiver

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Question for the Sathawk owners, does it record high bitrate feeds? My box is not here yet and thinking of connecting an external 500GB to it.

Does anyone know how to make this box not to move the diseqc motor when browsing at the different satellites?

For example, when browsing the channel list, the motor moves to each satellite that the cursor passes on. I want the motor to move only when i select the channel not when i am just browsing on it. Any ideas?

Question for the Sathawk owners, does it record high bitrate feeds? My box is not here yet and thinking of connecting an external 500GB to it.

I doubt it. Most don't and I have problems with glitching on a 37Mbps video signal. My CS8000 has no problem on this feed , but frequent video and audio cutouts ( maybe every 30 sec or so) on the Sathawk.
Something for Mr. Sadoun to work on, I hope. :)

Does anyone know how to make this box not to move the diseqc motor when browsing at the different satellites?

For example, when browsing the channel list, the motor moves to each satellite that the cursor passes on. I want the motor to move only when i select the channel not when i am just browsing on it. Any ideas?

I don't think there is a way unless you would disable the function for each satellite. Are you just looking to see what you have saved for each satellite? Otherwise I don't understand why you don't want the dish to move. Hope you find an answer to your question/problem. I am still looking for documentation for my HAMMERBLOW actuator. Unfortunately the company is out of business.

I doubt it. Most don't and I have problems with glitching on a 37Mbps video signal. My CS8000 has no problem on this feed , but frequent video and audio cutouts ( maybe every 30 sec or so) on the Sathawk.
Something for Mr. Sadoun to work on, I hope. :)
Thanks Brent, was hoping the newest fw might fix this problem as well as the clock:(

The video is still watchable, and if the glitching were'nt so regular you might think it was a passing cloud ( or something ) , but I run it side by side with my CS8000 and it's obvious. It's a good receiver for the price ( considering the blindscan) , but could use some improvement, still. I have two CS8000's and bidding on another. I'm not giving them up anytime soon !
:)

Thanks Brent, was hoping the newest fw might fix this problem as well as the clock:(
Unless the receiver contains a hardware clock, the only way to insure accuracy is to put it on a channel that contains that info in its stream.

When setting up to record a channel, I find out the time (if any) that the channel is sending out and adjust the time settings accordingly. Sometimes you can find another channel on either that or another satellite that has the correct time and use that if the channel you want to record doesn't send any time info. For example, I let it sit on DW-TV for the time info when I set it up to record PBS on AMC-1. It changes channel and records just fine.

Someone on Sadoun's forum mentioned the default 2 hr timer when you hit the record button. You can change that any time during the recording if you press the record button again.

Sombody else way back in this thread wondered about a time-of-day display when the receiver is in standby mode. I don't see why this couldn't be done. It might not be accurate, though...

Speaking of which, anybody else ever notice the receiver randomly "boot" when in standby mode? The standby light stays on, but the receiver shows "boot" in the display, then the channel it was on before shutdown, along with the green LED showing locked signal. No display on my TV, however. It only does this rarely. I can even change channels in this mode. If I press the power button, it goes back to only showing the red LED (although sometimes it will show a completely different number from any channel). Another press and it boots normally.

The problem with the receiver not using the hardware clock (if it even HAS a hardware clock!) goes beyond the problem of channels not sending the accurate time. (Most of them do send the time, but the problem there is, some of them send their local time instead of GMT.)

The problem is that you have to leave it on to record anything. Although it doesn't consume much power, this is only a solution for one recording. After that recording, it shuts off! (I don't think it shut off before the firmware version that enabled the use of a motor and switch together, but I could be wrong. I never tried to schedule more than one recording.)

This is just idiotic and inexcusable, hardware clock or no hardware clock.

Basically, just remove the "PVR" part from the receiver's description and just call it a receiver that has the ability to timeshift and record, then. That would be more accurate.

Oh, if only my old Pansat 5000HC were capable of HD and DVB-S2 blindscan, it would have been worth the $600 I paid for it five years ago...:sob:

I just had a phone call from Sales at SADOUN about 0830 Denver time notifying me that the PVR800 receiver is/will not be available anymore. The lady could not tell me what a replacement version would be.

Anybody have any suggestions?

I just had a phone call from Sales at SADOUN about 0830 Denver time notifying me that the PVR800 receiver is/will not be available anymore. The lady could not tell me what a replacement version would be.

Anybody have any suggestions?

I just got the same call on my answering machine. Bummer. :(

I just got the same call on my answering machine. Bummer. :(

Just talked with SADOUN and the current version of the PVR800 will most likely not be available anymore. This is not to say that another version of the same model will not be available more suitable for the US market. For instance the SCART connectors are really not much of use in the USA as well as the subscription cards. I am hoping that as soon as further information is availbable from SADOUN that he will post up to date information on this forum.
In the meantime we'll all have to hold our breath and not go into panic mode.:)

Now im really lost about the fate of the Sathawk!:confused:.I just saw on sadouns forum that they are just delayed and are still being made.Maybe sadoun had something to do with keeping the sathawk name!or maybe the link i gave above isnt the same company thats making the sathawk for sadoun.

We will be getting a small qty of PVR800 in 2-4 weeks that will cover our backorder and any new orders until then. Currently we are out of stock.

A newer HD model may follow (i.e. PVR900) with the same features as the PVR800 except:

• No CI/CA
  • No Scart connection (useless for USA)
  • No ethernet connection (not needed for our target customers)
  • Newer IR remote control
  • Lower price
Estimated Introduction time: September 2010 (subject to change)

:)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)