Reviews: SatHawk PVR800 WorldDVB DVB-S2 HD FTA Receiver

Status
Please reply by conversation.
wont record high bit rates

st-st-stutters on it. Just tried a Big10 feed :(

Disappointing. I was hoping this box would be the answer to the high bitrate problem.

So the Visionsat (a SD receiver) still wins for recording high bitrate HD. Unfortunately, it is not a DVB-S2-capable receiver...

well the motor function is quirky...but it could be the setup

I have it in the computer room which is a 140 foot run and a coupler in it

vertical TP moves the motor flawlessly in both Diseqc 1.2 & USALS
horizontal it wont move at all

gonna try the main setup....reason I tried the 2nd setup is the main one has been fine tuned forever (4 years).....dont wanna screw up the settings ;)

edit: confirmed my setup in the computer room wont let the motor run 18 volts. To change sats I need to select a V transponder. Both polarities come in find once its on the satellite but I have to select a V channel to move sats. Not good on sats like 74, 83, 85 & 95 where there is no V transponders with channels.

Last edited:
CONFIRMED....motor will not move on a Horizontal transponder. My main setup I can hear the motor move if its quiet out
Vertical it moves instantly
Horizontal it wont move at all
not on Diseqc 1.2
not on USALS

:(

This is on a SG2100 (actually two of them)

I was brainstorming with Stogie, and we wondered if the horizontal motor problem might be an over-current sensor that's set too low on the LNB power?
On Vert (12v) you don't draw enough current. On Horiz (18v) you would naturally draw more.

Testing it on a Gbox should confirm. (should work fine)
Or use a volt meter on the LNB line ... maybe one of those $10 DBS signal meters - that'd show you as well.

Just a thought... maybe it can be programmed around.

CONFIRMED....motor will not move on a Horizontal transponder. My main setup I can hear the motor move if its quiet out
Vertical it moves instantly
Horizontal it wont move at all
not on Diseqc 1.2
not on USALS

:(

This is on a SG2100 (actually two of them)

That's pretty odd, all right. Never heard of that before, nice to see some new innovations. :)
Genpix updated his drivers sometime ago to switch to 19V whenever the skywalker-1 sends out motor control commands. Apparently the SatHawk can't send the commands at the higher voltage. A definite BUG ! Good catch, Tony.

USALS is bang on so just create a dummy vertical transponder and it will move to that

but doesnt help sats like 74/79/85/95 where all the channels are on Horiozontal
74 & 85 have some vertical TP's that have no channels so I can just go into motor, select the sat and it moves
95 I will have to create a dummy TP...or hopefully there is a scrambled channel on V

otherwise these sats have channels on vertical TP's
72 yep
87 yep
89 yep
91 yep
93 yep
97 yep
99 yep
101 yep
103 yep
105 yep
111 yep
113 I think
121 yep
123 yep
125 yep

yes I did to the newest firmware. 1st thing I did as the PVR function didnt work otherwise
The one that end in 25

had it freeze up twice...think it was I press too many buttons at same time :)

motor function seems to hold positions really well

also looks like 76 is the highest "quality" the meter goes. Locked on a few strong TP's that show 99 on the Pansat and show 76 on this one. Threshold on the meter is LOW. Locked and held LPB on a 24 quality

had it freeze up twice...think it was I press too many buttons at same time :)

I'll buy that theory. First, it's locked up twice for me when I try to change the volume while the info bar is on the screen. Second, I've already said how clunky the remote is for me.

I still haven't had time to play with either the PVR, which other people seem to have covered, or the media player, which everybody seems to have ignored.

I did run a port scanner against it. The only port it detects is 110, which is strange because there's no POP3 server on it. So I'm still completely in the dark as to what the ethernet port does.

Question: when you put you box into standby what does it do? Does it show the time (act as a clock)? Does the display stay off except for a red light? If it does say off, look very close and can you tell if the second digit shows a faint 8? My receiver has done all three, I think my display board is messed up.

Mine shows the very faint 8. I thought it was odd that it didn't show a clock, but I didn't think anything more about it.

A manual would be nice!

I'll buy that theory. First, it's locked up twice for me when I try to change the volume while the info bar is on the screen. Second, I've already said how clunky the remote is for me.

yeah I pressed exit, ok and info too quick. Didnt freeze after that

Jim S.

Did you have a chance to look under the hood? ;) What chipsets are there? Tuner - its full model number is on its side?

Many issues reported so far seems to be firmware related bugs and under developed areas relatively easy to fix over time. It may freeze when new command is received when previous command execution isn't completed yet. Not clear however, to what extend such issues as stutter, no 4:2:2 playback or high symbol rate recording, and no multimedia playback can be fixed, possibly none as they are mostly proc and memory speed and size related. But may be they can improve how efficient these resources are used.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Anyone ever have a problem with floating platforms messing up the dish?

Royal Pain

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)