RF Combiner: 2-way vs. 3-way

CubsWin

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 17, 2005
Bourbonnais, IL
I currently have a 2-way RF combiner, which I use to combine my cable TV signal with the 622 modulated channel 73. If I add another modulated channel from another source and use a 3-way RF combiner, what impact will that have on my picture? Will using a 3-way combiner reduce the signal quality more than the 2-way combiner does?

Yes, there will be some signal loss to each leg--you are sending the current to 3 legs instead of 2.
The RF output of a 622... is somewhat amplified IIRC so it should be enough for up to 100' RG-6.
I'd recommend a small amplifier to help if there is a problem.

I combined 2 722s and antenna (3-way) to feed an R.S. 10dB 4-way amp sent to the 2 722s, a remote 622, the TV, and other old equipment. The Antenna and Dish feeds are ATSC and the others are NTSC but none may be on the same channels. Keep at least one channel blank between the signals--can be hard with cable--I chose OTA 60 62 64 66. (BTW, a 10dB amp and a 4-way reversed combiner give say <1/4 or ~-14dB of the signal from this amp.) This looks like a loop but isn't.

What is the new signal will it interfere with the cable signal? You are sending a small part of the Dish and the other signal out on the cable line. Generally, cable puts a fair amount of isolation on each line but you could cause problems for your neighbors.

-Ken

What is the new signal will it interfere with the cable signal?
I already have a notch filter to combine my modulated output from the 622. I would just be adding another modulated channel (from my TV out) in that same range.

Just in case you're wondering why I would do such a thing, I have a cable card installed in my primary TV and it receives a couple digital channels that are unavailable on Dish Network. I want to be able to pass the cable tuner output from that TV back to all my other TV's in the house without having to purchase any additional cable boxes.

My current setup is 3-way amplifier (cable signal) to 2-way passive combiner (cable + 622 RF output) to 3-way passive splitter. The picture is just fine, but I'm worried that I'm already pushing the limits and changing to a 3-way combiner may start to negatively impact picture quality.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)