RG59/U Cable

Yep, rule of thumb most subcontractors don't do good work (no matter who they work for, dish, directv, comcast etc). They're required to buy their own material and get paid per job so they will do the least amount of work as possible and use the least amount of material. I hate how dish uses them, they think they save money but in the long run an in house tech has to go out and redo the whole job costing more money. Not to mention customers bad mouth bad installs and the first impression is the lasting impression. Never let a 3rd party subcontractor into your house, reschedule if you have to, in the long run it will save you tons of greif!

WoW.. That statement is one of the biggest loads of BS I have ever heard. As an independent retailer, who is paid really well to do the job right the first time, I can tell you I put more into each job than a Dish employee does in 5 jobs. I will fish walls, dig trenches and anything else to make MY customer happy. And the last thing I do before I leave my happy, satisfied customer is leave them several business cards with explicit instructions for them to call me for ANY reason or problem they have.

I suspect you are going to get a lot of grief from independents over this false statement.

I tried using RG59 coax for the basement TV (splitting off TV2) and had problems (probably because of the run length). When we had three receivers, I split off the living room feed for the basement and had no problems (about a 20 foot run). When we got the DVR, the run for TV2 from the receiver/DVR to the living room is about 65 feet as the wire is run (and maybe more based on me running another line for the antenna - more later). When we got rid of Wild Blue, I took all the double RG6 cable down and used a length of it to run to the basement. I also purchased the same tools and compression F-connectors that the installers use (or maybe the DYI equivalent), and had good luck.

I have replaced some of the RG59 for our OTA antenna and am very pleased with the increased signal at the TV. For example, the living room TV can pick up channels from a city almost 80 miles away whereas the "office" TV that still has RG59 sometimes cannot pick up the CBS, Fox and PBS channels from the nearest city 40 miles away.

I concur that you should try to get RG6 instead of RG59. Just remember that the installer may not do the job the way that you would. After the latest install, I spent two days rerouting/hiding wires.

WoW.. That statement is one of the biggest loads of BS I have ever heard. As an independent retailer, who is paid really well to do the job right the first time, I can tell you I put more into each job than a Dish employee does in 5 jobs. I will fish walls, dig trenches and anything else to make MY customer happy. And the last thing I do before I leave my happy, satisfied customer is leave them several business cards with explicit instructions for them to call me for ANY reason or problem they have.

I suspect you are going to get a lot of grief from independents over this false statement.

Your situation is a bit different than what he was talking about. You sell the job, so it's your baby from start to finish. I was both a sub for a retailer and in-house. I was never a retailer myself, however. I worked with some really good subs, and I worked with ones I wouldn't trust on the same block as my house, let alone in it. There were a couple of guys I remember, they worked as a team, and could pound out jobs like nobody's business. The workmanship was dreadful, and almost every one resulted in a TC. However, they knew the game. The way our office worked, if you got a TC, you essentially paid for the next tech to go out there and fix it. So, they would hook and book, leave a big mess and figure $35 was the cost of doing business. I've also seen quite a few bad in house jobs, but no offense to the subs out there, but I've seen more shoddy work from subs than in house. However, these days, the quality control is much better for both subs and in house.

Save yourself the headaches and run new RG-6.....
It isn't all that expensive...
Here's the deal. Order up a Dish Mover install. The tech will come gnash his teeth and install new RG-6 cabling and it won't cost you a dime.
Sucks sideways for the tech if the house is built funky, but like they always told us, "it is what it is"...
If you're a good American, you'll help out the tech immensely by moving all furniture out of his way. If the attic must be accessed, make sure you move all belongings away from the work areas. Same goes for the basement if applicable. Garage as well.

Is this a joke...Free..."it is what it is"...Can you come to my house?...I have some ocean front property in Arizona for sale!!

Yep, rule of thumb most subcontractors don't do good work (no matter who they work for, dish, directv, comcast etc). They're required to buy their own material and get paid per job so they will do the least amount of work as possible and use the least amount of material. I hate how dish uses them, they think they save money but in the long run an in house tech has to go out and redo the whole job costing more money. Not to mention customers bad mouth bad installs and the first impression is the lasting impression. Never let a 3rd party subcontractor into your house, reschedule if you have to, in the long run it will save you tons of greif!

Come out to Vegas...In-house is a joke, the contractors do 10 times better work!...and I am In-house.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)