RG6 Cable Install

Kev7274

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 19, 2012
NC
Maybe somebody can give me an answer as to what type of RG6 cable that Dish uses for their installs. I contacted Dish and all I get is RG6 cable,yeah I now that already.

The new house didn't have connections for the telephone or satellite in any of the rooms I wanted them in,so I put in boxes in those rooms and already wired the telephones up to them.I figure since I am already in the process of doing this stuff,why not go ahead and install the RG6 cables while I am at it.Underneath the house is cramped and would save the installer alot of time running the wires underneath the floor into the wall cavity and then to the outlet.I could then just run all three cables to a more accessible location for him to do his hookups.

I can get either Copper-Clad RG6 (3ghz sweep) or Solid Copper RG6 (3ghz sweep),but I can't get a straight answer as to which one to use? Does anybody know the answer to my dilemma? Thanks

Yeah,I was going to have three separate runs to a central location near the crawl space access door. Would I need to put a three way splitter to that location with all three cables hooked up and then he can just do his hook up to the other side? or should I let him deal with that?

Let DISH terminate the cables, RG-6 solid copper is the better cable but either will meet DISH's needs.

Ok,thanks. So could actually get by using the Copper clad. What about dual,tri and quad shield?

Copper-clad steel has a higher resistance so in the longer runs to the dish copper-clad steel is not a good idea as not enough voltage can get to the dish. This is why Dish only runs solid core copper. Cable cos don't have to worry about solid core copper because they don't have to power anything through the cable, just get a signal through it.

I'm going to have to do 3 runs of RG6. The longest run will probably be 75ft and the other two 50ft give or take a few feet. The footages will be from where I run the cable from the boxes underneath the house and to a central location underneath the house for the installer to get to.Now the run from the hookup underneath the house to where he installs the Dish will be up to him.
Think I'll go ahead and get some solid core quad shield and be done with it.

Last edited:
I'm an in-house dish tech, and we use Vextra v66 series (copper clad) cable for our installs. We use Vextra v621 series (solid copper) for our wildblue/exede installs. As others have said, either will work with dish, but I'd go with solid copper if I were running it myself in my own house.

I'm an in-house dish tech, and we use Vextra v66 series (copper clad) cable for our installs. We use Vextra v621 series (solid copper) for our wildblue/exede installs. As others have said, either will work with dish, but I'd go with solid copper if I were running it myself in my own house.

Good to know.Looks like those two are your basic shield?

mrtg3336rz said:

Must be different for you because here all they use is solid copper core for the reason indicated in my previous post.

Must be different for you because here all they use is solid copper core for the reason indicated in my previous post.
Unless you are running very long cable runs voltage isn't going to drop enough to make a difference. I do prefer for my own use solid copper but reality is in most homes copper coated works just as well. Now quad shield cable isn't needed and just means more trouble putting fittings on the cable.

boba said:
Unless you are running very long cable runs voltage isn't going to drop enough to make a difference. I do prefer for my own use solid copper but reality is in most homes copper coated works just as well. Now quad shield cable isn't needed and just means more trouble putting fittings on the cable.

For sure up to say 100ft copper-clad is technically OK I was just saying what my installer said back in April.

Be sure you understand you cannot break-out satellite signals. No splitter will work.
With 3 lines from the dish, one for each LNB, to a switch you may drive 3 or 4 or more receivers.
Head units with a built-in switch do not need an external switch.
You need to run from the dish to each receiver at least one cable.
(The Hopper-Joey has a lesser requirement to the Joeys, AFAIK.)
You may also want a line to each from your OTA antenna, multiplex possible.

BTW, had a copper clad line and with a little water in it the conductor it broke off from rust.
-Ken

Be sure you understand you cannot break-out satellite signals. No splitter will work.
With 3 lines from the dish, one for each LNB, to a switch you may drive 3 or 4 or more receivers.
Head units with a built-in switch do not need an external switch.
You need to run from the dish to each receiver at least one cable.
(The Hopper-Joey has a lesser requirement to the Joeys, AFAIK.)
You may also want a line to each from your OTA antenna, multiplex possible.

BTW, had a copper clad line and with a little water in it the conductor it broke off from rust.
-Ken

I'm confused now. The wiring in the old house has the feed from the Satellite running to a ground block outside.Then one wire feeds from that block into the house and then to a splitter that runs it into two wires into the receiver. The Dish guy just used the cable that was already there since he said it was good cable. The two separate runs were located at a central location in the basement in the old house. He just made his connections to those cables in the basement. One receiver (VIP722) takes care of two tvs in two different rooms. That's the reason I was going to go ahead and run the cables from the rooms. Then he doesn't have to crawl underneath the house,fish them through the floor joists and into the boxes. All three runs would be at a point that is more accessible for him to make his connections.I was assuming since the old install just has one cable running from the block with the actual satellite wiring,that he could just hook that cable up to the splitter that had all three runs to the runs attached.Hope I'm making sense.I am planning on getting the Hopper/Joey setup,so that brings up another dilemma if the wiring is different.Am I looking at this the wrong way?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts