RIM Blackberry / Playback

HokieEngineer

Proud Staff Member
Original poster
Oct 13, 2003
Stopped by the RIM booth to ask a few questions you guys had in the "what do you want us to cover" thread.

There was no new information about the torch. It is GSM only at this point. No timeframe for a CDMA version.

I got hands on the Playback. Pretty cool tablet type device. Very thin, and smaller than an iPad. Processor is a dual core TI cpu, 1GB RAM, and either 16GB or 32GB of flash storage. Current model is wifi only, with the ability to talk to your existing blackberry via bluetooth. This link gives access to your blackberry contact lists and email. Cell support should be coming later this year. Sprint was mentioned to be offering a 4G version this summer.

The user interface was pretty slick, and very fast. Multiple applications and windows could be open at the same time, and you just flicked between apps, sort of like alt-tabbing in Windows. It had multi-touch features, such as pinch zooming in and out.

I have some pictures and a movie I took of the UI that I will upload when I get back to the hotel.

Attachments

• IMG_2325 (Medium).jpg
    IMG_2325 (Medium).jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 294
Last edited:
the playbook does look good, but I was hoping for a CDMA torch. I'm resisting the urge to move to Android

Question: The pre-realease info I saw on the Playbook said it was intended to be tethered to a Blackberry phone. Is it usable in stand-alone form (i.e., without owning a BB phone, maybe connecting to an iPhone or Android phone?)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)