Status
Not open for further replies.

mdonnelly

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Aug 26, 2004
Mustang, OK
"NEW YORK – Walter Cronkite, the premier TV anchorman of the networks' golden age who reported a tumultuous time with reassuring authority and came to be called "the most trusted man in America," died Friday. He was 92. Cronkite's longtime chief of staff, Marlene Adler, said Cronkite died at 7:42 p.m. at his Manhattan home surrounded by family. She said the cause of death was cerebral vascular disease. ..."

Legendary CBS anchor Walter Cronkite dies at 92 - Yahoo! News

I will never forget listening to, and watching, Walter Cronkite report that President John F. Kennedy was dead while serving a tour in an Atlas F missile silo near Roswell, NM, while having my lunch.

Of course, in 1969, it was a pleasure to watch and listen to the launch and, finally, the landing on the moon.

I have always respected Walter Cronkite, as did most of the nation. He will be sorely missed....

I was born in 1949, so I missed his WWII reporting (though I've seen many newsreels). What I remember best of Walter Cronkite is his "You Are There" series. I saw many of those 1/2 hour shows in school, running the old 16mm projector.

Interestingly, I found out today that he was the first play-by-play announcer for the University of Oklahoma's radio broadcasts.

http://www.soonersports.com/genrel/071809aaa.html

This man was a national icon, yet his death barely caused a ripple, meanwhile Michael Jackson dies, and somebody will want to make a national holiday out of that. Sometimes this nation's priorities are out of whack.

He was before my time.

Was he the last of the "impartial" news anchors/journalists?
Many people would say that about him as he was highly respected for his reporting professionalism.

This man was a national icon, yet his death barely caused a ripple, meanwhile Michael Jackson dies, and somebody will want to make a national holiday out of that. Sometimes this nation's priorities are out of whack.
Agreed, while he was an outstanding performer in many ways his eccentricity along with his scandals left allot to be desired. The infatuation with him for some is so bizarre that there were reports of people committing suicide if you could believe it.

Great. I missed it the first time. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)