Roku and FireStick lose remote connection

ncted

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jul 4, 2004
Durham, NC
Not sure if this is the right forum for this, but I am having a weird issue in one room in my house. In this room, I have both my FireStick and a Roku Premier+ (the original) connected to my TV. They also both connect to a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network which doesn't interfere with neighboring channels and has a relatively low noise floor (-100 dBm) and good SNR (-40:-100). I have the same problem with both devices. After a certain amount of time (at least 30 minutes), both will stop reacting to remote control inputs.

The solution to both is the same: Pull the batteries on the remote, and then the streaming devices start responding again. I know the Roku will use the same wireless channel that the device is using to stream, but I am not sure how the FireStick works, or if it uses wifi for remote connectivity at all. It doesn't seem to matter what streaming app I am using when this happens. Netflix, Hulu, Prime Video, and Dish Anywhere(not Roku obviously) have all exhibited the problem.

Streaming devices on wifi in other rooms do not exhibit the issue

I am open to suggestions on how to troubleshoot the problem.

Thanks,
Ted

Not sure if this is the right forum for this, but I am having a weird issue in one room in my house. In this room, I have both my FireStick and a Roku Premier+ (the original) connected to my TV. They also both connect to a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network which doesn't interfere with neighboring channels and has a relatively low noise floor (-100 dBm) and good SNR (-40:-100). I have the same problem with both devices. After a certain amount of time (at least 30 minutes), both will stop reacting to remote control inputs.

The solution to both is the same: Pull the batteries on the remote, and then the streaming devices start responding again. I know the Roku will use the same wireless channel that the device is using to stream, but I am not sure how the FireStick works, or if it uses wifi for remote connectivity at all. It doesn't seem to matter what streaming app I am using when this happens. Netflix, Hulu, Prime Video, and Dish Anywhere(not Roku obviously) have all exhibited the problem.

Streaming devices on wifi in other rooms do not exhibit the issue

I am open to suggestions on how to troubleshoot the problem.

Thanks,
Ted
On the roku....pull the cover off the battery..you will see a small button...push that and it will reestablish the connection..it happens to me when I don't use it awhile..on the .firestick you have to go in the settings menu..controllers....remotes..then click on your remote. That will reset the connection

Sent from my SM-G950U using the SatelliteGuys app!

On the roku....pull the cover off the battery..you will see a small button...push that and it will reestablish the connection..it happens to me when I don't use it awhile..on the .firestick you have to go in the settings menu..controllers....remotes..then click on your remote. That will reset the connection

If No button on roku...follow these instructions
Roku

Roku

If No button on roku...follow these instructions
Roku

Roku
your Roku device and remote

Open the battery compartment and remove the batteries from your remote.

Remove the power cable from your Roku device, wait 5 seconds and then re-connect the power cable.

Pro Tip: All Roku streaming devices (except for Roku Streaming Sticks) can be controlled with a Roku IR remote. If you also have this type of remote, you can use it to access the settings menu and restart your Roku device (rather than unplugging it). Go to Settings > System > System restart > Restart on a player, or Settings > System > Power > System restart > Restart on a Roku TV.

When your Roku device displays the home screen, reinsert the batteries in your remote.

Wait at least 30 seconds to see if your remote establishes a connection with your Roku device.

Re-pair the remote

Open the battery compartment and remove the batteries from your remote.

Remove the power cable from your Roku device, wait 5 seconds and then re-connect the power cable.

When your Roku device displays the home screen, reinsert the batteries in your remote.

Press and hold the pairing button inside the battery compartment of your remote for 5 seconds or until you see the pairing light on the remote begin to flash. If the light does not flash, try again. If the light still does not flash, then you should replace the batteries (see below).

Wait for 30 seconds while the remote establishes a connection with your Roku device.

The remote pairing dialog should appear on your TV screen.

Replace the batteries

Open the battery compartment and remove the old batteries from the remote.

Remove the power cable from the Roku device, wait 5 seconds and then re-connect the power cable.

When the Roku device displays the first screen, insert new batteries.

Wait for 30 seconds while the remote establishes a connection with your Roku device.

The remote pairing dialog should appear on your TV screen.

Install a HDMI extension cable (Roku Streaming Stick only)

When using a Roku Streaming Stick or Roku Streaming Stick+ that can be connected directly to an HDMI port on your TV, wireless interference from the HDMI connector may impact the performance of your remote.

If this is the type of Roku device you own, try moving it away from the HDMI connector on your TV by installing a free extension cable to connect your Streaming Stick to your TV.

Thanks for the replies. I had repaired the Roku remote previously. I use the Roku almost every day. It responds to the remote at first. It is only after that (and about 30 minutes or more) that it stops responding.

The FireStick is on an HDMI extender. I decided to put these two devices on their own SSID on a dedicated 5GHz channel to see if that fixes the problem.

If I cannot find a solution, I will probably try putting a MoCA extender into that room to hardwire the Roku. This same Roku was working fine in my living room where it was hardwired before the new Ultra I got replaced it.

I'd suggest making connections to the devices via Ethernet. I'm pretty sure that the Roku remote uses 2.4GHz and suspect that most sticks do as well. They're probably compatible but they're having to share what is a pretty busy band.

For many Roku STBs, you could contemplate using an IR remote.

I'd suggest making connections to the devices via Ethernet. I'm pretty sure that the Roku remote uses 2.4GHz and suspect that most sticks do as well. They're probably compatible but they're having to share what is a pretty busy band.

For many Roku STBs, you could contemplate using an IR remote.

So, my previous efforts were unsuccessful, so I bit the bullet, extended the MoCA network into that room, added a switch and FireStick ethernet adapter, and hooked up both devices via ethernet, which cost me almost $200.

Result: FireStick still loses remote connection, even with the remote an inch away from the device. However, the Roku hasn't. I am about to give up on the FireStick. Mine, either the device or the remote, must have an issue. I cannot explain the Roku behavior except to speculate that whatever is wrong with the FireStick was somehow interfering with the remote connection of the Roku. Since hardwiring the Roku, I no longer have an issue with the remote connection. That will work for now. The only issue is I would need the FireStick to watch DishAnywhere in that room, but it is really rare that we would do that, so whatever.

So, my previous efforts were unsuccessful, so I bit the bullet, extended the MoCA network into that room, added a switch and FireStick ethernet adapter, and hooked up both devices via ethernet, which cost me almost $200.

Result: FireStick still loses remote connection, even with the remote an inch away from the device. However, the Roku hasn't. I am about to give up on the FireStick. Mine, either the device or the remote, must have an issue. I cannot explain the Roku behavior except to speculate that whatever is wrong with the FireStick was somehow interfering with the remote connection of the Roku. Since hardwiring the Roku, I no longer have an issue with the remote connection. That will work for now. The only issue is I would need the FireStick to watch DishAnywhere in that room, but it is really rare that we would do that, so whatever.
Upgrade to the fire cube...it will also control the roku...the fire cube remote will control all devices

What about the tv or sound bar

Nope. TV is a 32" Insignia dumb TV. AVR is a circa 2007 Sony model. I really do not have much wireless in the house beside these:

1. Ring doorbell on 2.4GHz Guest network connected to AT&T router. Only device on channel 1.
2. Two iPhone 6S/6S+ on 5GHz network on secondary WAP on Channel 153.
3. Two MacBook laptops on 5GHz network on secondary WAP on Channel 153. (not awake when using FireStick, although Powernap is enabled)
4. One Amazon Kindle Fire HD10 Tablet on 5GHz network on secondary WAP on Channel 153. (not awake when using FireStick)
5. One Roku Streaming Stick+ in bedroom on 5GHz network on secondary WAP on Channel 153. (not powered-on when using FireStick)
6. Aforementioned Roku Premier+(2016) and Firestick(2017) on 5GHz network connected to AT&T Router on channel 36. (now hardwired)

Everything else is hardwired. I do not live in a dense neighborhood, and I chose the network channels based on those used by neighbors and testing using the Roku built-in wi-fi hidden statistics screen. Obviously I have little to no control over which frequencies the remote controls use, however.

Nope. TV is a 32" Insignia dumb TV. AVR is a circa 2007 Sony model. I really do not have much wireless in the house beside these:

1. Ring doorbell on 2.4GHz Guest network connected to AT&T router. Only device on channel 1.
2. Two iPhone 6S/6S+ on 5GHz network on secondary WAP on Channel 153.
3. Two MacBook laptops on 5GHz network on secondary WAP on Channel 153. (not awake when using FireStick, although Powernap is enabled)
4. One Amazon Kindle Fire HD10 Tablet on 5GHz network on secondary WAP on Channel 153. (not awake when using FireStick)
5. One Roku Streaming Stick+ in bedroom on 5GHz network on secondary WAP on Channel 153. (not powered-on when using FireStick)
6. Aforementioned Roku Premier+(2016) and Firestick(2017) on 5GHz network connected to AT&T Router on channel 36. (now hardwired)

Everything else is hardwired. I do not live in a dense neighborhood, and I chose the network channels based on those used by neighbors and testing using the Roku built-in wi-fi hidden statistics screen. Obviously I have little to no control over which frequencies the remote controls use, however.
One more possible fix

There is a app for your smartphone that will control the firestick

Amazon Fire Stick Remote Not Working? Try These Quick Fixes

Reactions: ncted
In digging deeper I found that the Fire Stick uses Bluetooth (yet another resident of the incredibly crowded 2.4GHz band).

This probably nixes Juan's phone option.

You might try re-pairing the remote (with everything else active) to see if you can force the Fire Stick and its remote choose another frequency in the 2.4GHz band.

How To Pair Firestick Remote - Get Your Remote Working Again!

Yeah, I've done a factory reset on the FireStick, and I've re-paired the remote.

In digging deeper I found that the Fire Stick uses Bluetooth (yet another resident of the incredibly crowded 2.4GHz band).

This probably nixes Juan's phone option.

You might try re-pairing the remote (with everything else active) to see if you can force the Fire Stick and its remote choose another frequency in the 2.4GHz band.

How To Pair Firestick Remote - Get Your Remote Working Again!
The phone has to be connected to the wifi network

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)