Netflix Prices Going Up

Will still pay, out of all the OTT Services I get the most value out of Netflix.

Where else can I get a lot of content in 4K, not from any of the traditional broadcasters/ providers.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

Reactions: MikeD-C05
I'm much more likely to keep Netflix, even at the $16 price point than I am to keep traditional linear TV service. As a proportion of our viewing, Netflix is definitely larger than any cable channel, and very similar to our total local channel viewing on all of those. I probably should revisit OTA/Tivo at some point, but I am going to need a big ass antenna to get everything, especially after the repack is done.

Cord cutting is getting expensive quick. Too many services now.

For what I pay for Vue, Netflix, Hulu together(Amazon also but that is more for the shipping) it is still cheaper then a traditional provider alone, especially when you factor in fees (boxes, locals, sports).

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

Reactions: Zookster
I was already on the fence about cancelling at the end of the month. I rarely watch Netflix anymore. They've cancelled the few shows I liked and I really don't care for any of the new stuff they've put out recently. I'm also put off by constantly finding shows recommended as Netflix Originals that don't say up front that they are not in English. This just helps me along in that decision. I may renew occasionally for a month if something comes out that interests me.

Reactions: reddice
Neflix has 137.1 million subscribers and in 2011 had 22.93 million. It seems to me that t5he increase in subscribers should more than cover there rise in costs, but here it is anyway. Netflix is raising their prices. The most popular two stream HD service is increasing from $10.99 to $12.99 per month. The premium plan with four HD streams is going from $13.99 to $15.99, and the basic one stream SD plan is rising a buck from $7.99 to $8.99.
In the last year they have added 20 million subscribers.

At $2 per subscriber, that is $274 million dollars increase in revenue. How much has there cost gone up?

And as if on cue, traditional providers have come up with their tried and true strategy to win over customers.
If this is what it takes to provide the content that customers think they can't live without in a unified format, what's the issue?

Should the OTT providers be let off the hook because they carry a lot of so-so content and marginal implementations of popular features for a come-on price?

If this is what it takes to provide the content that customers think they can't live without in a unified format, what's the issue?

Should the OTT providers be let off the hook because they carry a lot of so-so content and marginal implementations of popular features for a come-on price?

No issue. I was just highlighting the fact that all content provider services go up regularly, albeit in a snarky way, not just OTT.

Nobody's off the hook. I'm disappointed in this Netflix price increase, so close to the last one, while cancelling the Marvel original TV shows right and left and on the cusp of losing the more recent Disney/Pixar/Marvel/Star Wars content in the coming year.

Neflix has 137.1 million subscribers and in 2011 had 22.93 million. It seems to me that t5he increase in subscribers should more than cover there rise in costs, but here it is anyway. Netflix is raising their prices. The most popular two stream HD service is increasing from $10.99 to $12.99 per month. The premium plan with four HD streams is going from $13.99 to $15.99, and the basic one stream SD plan is rising a buck from $7.99 to $8.99.
In the last year they have added 20 million subscribers.

At $2 per subscriber, that is $274 million dollars increase in revenue. How much has there cost gone up?

Not sure about all their costs, but they are dumping billions more into content each year. So much so that they are making it way faster than people can watch it, probably because they know their licensing deals are going to dry up at some point.

Although I'm able to pay the price increase, I'm going to terminate my subscription. I don't get anywhere near that percentage increase on my retirement check. So, good bye Netflix.

No issue. I was just highlighting the fact that all content provider services go up regularly, albeit in a snarky way, not just OTT.
That's not so bad as long as you compare everything. The percentage increase over time is what really matters and having a one-time 18% increase (2 sessions) stings since the last increase was a little over a year ago. The previous increase was only 11% (again, two sessions) and it covered about 19 months.

The result of this move is likely to be that the industry is going to shake their finger at Netflix as they raise their own rates riding the established wave of higher costs.

Perhaps the war chest will be used to support them when your noted programming goes elsewhere.

I didn't get my Netflix cancelled in time so I'll have to wait until next month a day before the renewal is due. It's marked on the calendar.

I didn't get my Netflix cancelled in time so I'll have to wait until next month a day before the renewal is due.
That's another gotcha about modern pay TV: pro-rating of periodic bills may no longer be a thing.

This is over an above a minimum subscription time.

They weren't the first, but as of Monday, DIRECTV is no longer prorating cancellations. There was a time when they weren't prorating some aspects ("charges" vs "fees"), but now you pay for everything until the end of the billing cycle regardless of when you cancel.

Reactions: LocutusOfBorg
Glad to see T-Mobile not passing the increase along to customers. As some one who has no use or interest in Netflix, I don't want my cell phone bill to increase because of something that shouldn't even be included to begin with.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)