Rookie w/522 questions

dvc

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 8, 2004
Cameron Park, CA
Curious if i'm getting the best possible reception. I've messed around switching between satellites and transponders but can't really tell if one is better than the other. I just rely on the signal quality and lock it in. Any advice on how to better fine tune? The dish was already on the home when I bought it and the installer said it is just fine, brand new.

How do I know if it is a good dish and are there better ones that perhaps Dish might be able to offer? Serial numbers? Model? I live in a hilly area in California near Folsom. I seem to get good reception, although, at times maybe i should be getting a cleaner resolution. Could be my tv...i know.

The only complaint I have is I had about 6 episodes of The Family Guy a couple months ago recorded and Dish decided to 'dump' my memory.

Also, I see talk about various acronyms used when answering questions. Is there an acronym guide somewhere? Thanks alot,

DVC

I dont know about the acronym guide... but what are you signal strengths on TP 11 and 12 of each satellite. they seem to be the best to guage your reception

dvc said:
Between 75-100, not very good. I found 8 to have the best about 103.
Transponder 11 on the 119 satellite has a signal strength of ? Transponder 12 on satellite 119 has a signal strength of ? Transponder 11 on satellite 110 has a strength of ? Transponder 12 on satellite 110 has a signal strength of ? Transponders below 11 may be spot beams and their signal strength is different across the country. 11 and 12 are the best to use to evaluate your system. On 119 tr.11 I have 111 on tr.12 I have 110 on 110 I have tr.12 95 and tr.11 I have 93. This is with overcast sky so the water vapor in the clouds is reducing my signal normally on a sunny day I get 115-125%. :) :) :)

On bird at 119* tr.11 I get 105%, tr.12 I get 103%. On bird at 110*, tr.11 I get 98%, tr.12 I get 95%. So far I can't complain, we'll see though, when the heavy snows fly! Is it normal for sat. at 110* to be lower in signal?

There seems to be a BIG issue that's missed here - you do NOT "lock in" a satellite/transponder on the Point Dish screen. :no

The receiver switches between satellites and transponders based upon which channel you want to watch. This is an important basic concept of DBS.

Now, the various tp's signal strengths are different for many reasons. That's a lesson for another time. 110 & 119 tp's 11 & 12 are used to gauge strength so that we can all do apples to apples comparisons. Having 90+ on all 4 is plenty good enough.

110 being lower in strength (sometimes it's 119) is mostly due to the nature of the D500 - don't wrry about it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)