Question about dropping one receiver and adding a DishPlayer

chelseafan

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 13, 2004
Hi guys! I wonder if any of you can help me with this:
-This is my seventh month with dish and I got the two receiver deal. Would Dish let me drop one of them and then add a DishPlayer that I got from a friend who does not want it any more? His account balance shows 0 and he just does not use dish any more. I really want to use the Dish player.
Go blues!

This is an interesting question that I also wonder about. I believe that as long as you don't cancel your service you could add a receiver and drop the other one. The only exception I can think of would be the DHA (Dish Home Advantage or something like that) plans.

I'm waiting for my Dish Pro Adapter to install my Dishplayer 7100 that I had from a couple years back. For some reason we didn't qualify for a "free" Dishmover promotion and had canceled several years ago but had returned just under a year ago (so we are still in our commitment phase with our 301).

That's an important point for you. The Dishplayer 7100/7200 are not Dish Pro (DP) LNB or Switch compatible. If you have a newer system then you are most likely DP for your Dish 500 and will need either a Dish Pro Adapter (adapts one receiver) or if you intend to add more receivers or sats a Dish Pro Plus 44 switch (DPP44) that includes a built-in Dish Pro Adapter.

The receiver was fanastic for me before we canceled our earlier service, but had a few bugs. Recent topics on this site show that many have had great improvement with the current software for the Dishplayer. This is the reason I'm bringing it out of the closet and getting ready to reactivate the service. The Dishplayer is also the only Dish DVR product that will allow "unofficial" end-user hard drive upgrades for more recording time.

Yes they should allow you to do this. Inform the csr you talk to that you want that receiver activated and the other dropped.

DishSatUser said:
... The Dishplayer is also the only Dish DVR product that will allow "unofficial" end-user hard drive upgrades for more recording time.
Actually, the 501 and 508 can also be upgraded. Maybe even the 510 - but I'm not sure. The 501, 508, and 510 are identical except for the size of the HDD.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)