Adding a 4th receiver question?

H2Guy

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 28, 2022
Santa Fe
Currently I have 3 receivers working off a triple LNB Dish 500. I have a receiver I use in my RV from time to time that I was thinking I might just like to use in the house when i'm not on the road with the RV.

Now the Question since all of my feeds from my dish are used how would I add the 4th receiver? Would I need another dish up on the roof? thx

You do not say which receivers you have but if you use a Dish 500 I presume you are using old pre ViP equipment. If that is the case IIRC, you can just add a DP44 switch which has 4 outputs. With a triple lnb you probably have a d1000 pointed at WA says. The same switch will do you unless you have a Hopper which will only require a tap in the cable from your Hopper to the hub to add a Joey.

Reactions: charlesrshell
So how would that be wired? Diplexer or does the receiver provide the power on the inserter lead?

So how would that be wired? Diplexer or does the receiver provide the power on the inserter lead?
Power Inserter has two hookups, one goes to the switch with power and the other acts as a passthrough to a receiver. The inserter would go in any place that has access to AC power between that receiver and switch.

To me, it's very simple. Ethernet. Until this thread I never even gave it a thought about the number of receivers I could use. At any given time I am using my Hopper 3, Joey 4, Wireless Joey, and 2 Joey 3s. It depends on the number of visitors. I would not hesitate to add another Joey if it becomes needed. They all feed out of the Hopper 3.

Haha, I'm stuck in the Jurassic mode using old VIP equipment (but at least I'm keeping my monthly low). No doubt there will come a time that I will need to upgrade my equipment. But in all honesty over the last year I have upgraded all my TV's to smart and Dish costs have skyrocketed.

When my existing contract expires if my rate goes up more than a reasonable amount I will more than likely cut the cord and go with a streaming alternative. I have great internet service that is cheap for what I get.

About the only downside will be the loss of satellite in the RV, I don't think you can have a stand alone $7 RV account.

About the only downside will be the loss of satellite in the RV, I don't think you can have a stand alone $7 RV account.
You could opt for a pay as you go account, that will allow you to cancel and reinstate service whenever you actually need it. As far as I know there isn't a easy way to do this on a traditional home account so you would need to cut the cord and then create a new account with a owned 211/Wally.

In Oct 2019 I was able to cancel my dish home account and open a RV Pay as You Go account..I used DishformyRV and they were able to activate two 222k's and one 211 receiver...Since then I have added and dropped several different receivers..I currently have three hoppers with sling,one vip222k,one vip211k and one wally on my account..They will let you have 6 receivers on the account..I've read before people say up to 6 turners but thats not correct since the 222k is dual tuner makes mine 7 turners on account..you can drop one and add another one through dish chat which I've done several times..