RSN and HD

wolfjc

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 23, 2006
Cincinnati
I am from Cincinnati and the other day I was watching the REDS on FSN CINCINNATI and
The guide said that the game was also in HD on the same channel 427 but it never was.
I called in but it never did show up but it was on one of the ALT HD channels in the 400 range.
Does any one have any idea what was going on?
The next day all was OK and 427 HD had the game on.

I'm afraid that until (if?) DISH goes 24/7 on the HD RSN's things like this will continue to happen. Whether it's due to someone forgetting to flip a switch or a lack of bandwidth is anybody's guess. But it happens and likely will continue to happen. I guess we just have to expect it.

I just got the RSNs and tuned to a Rockies game the other day that was listed in HD, but only the SD channel had the game until about the 2nd inning. No idea why the delay. What's irritating is having to engage an SD channel and have the sound blast you out of the room before you can adjust the volume. This is the ONLY time I even consider an SD channel.

It's really a poor practice on the part of Dish since their competitors aren't playing the same games AFAIK. It will be a strong factor for me the next time I have to make a decision about my Dish programming.

It's really a poor practice on the part of Dish since their competitors aren't playing the same games AFAIK.

correct
Directv has the RSN's in HD all the time. Dish only uses a little bit of transponder space for RSN's in HD so they have to share. That is why your game was JIP (join in progress)...they had to wait for an earlier game to be done before they can flip the switch to your game in HD

lots of threads on the subject. Nothing new with Dish and Charlie said a couple months ago it will be at least a year before they change it

Wasn't as concerned about the pro sports and hadn't seen anything on college football. Guide just updated for the first weekend of college sports and not one game on FSNRM or ALT (and we only get 2 RSNs here) is in HD. What's even worse is the SD PQ is about as bad as it can get. I can tolerate some SD on my smaller TV, but this is even bad on it.

I can see my days with Dish are numbered. The main reason I even have sat/cable is for sports, and college football is the top of the list and bad SD is not acceptable.

Be looking later in the week for updates to the HD RSNs. I've seen them change on Friday for Saturday games.

I'm afraid that until (if?) DISH goes 24/7 on the HD RSN's things like this will continue to happen. Whether it's due to someone forgetting to flip a switch or a lack of bandwidth is anybody's guess. But it happens and likely will continue to happen. I guess we just have to expect it.

The problem is that the RSN I have is FSN Cincinnati and other than the games I don't think that they have much else on in HD so 24/7 will not help me much.

It looks to me like Dish is consolidating the HD feeds that would be showing the same game in HD on like 20 different RSNs. Check out 444 HDALT for Illinois at Missouri at 12:30 ET and Washington State at Oklahoma State on the same channel at 7:00 ET, and 445 HDALT for Arkansas State at Auburn at 7:00 ET. Last year those games would have appeared on like 20 different RSN's HD feed channels. Is this their way of saving bandwidth? I'm not seeing any RSN games in HD except on those two Alt channels. Anyone have any news/source on this?

Another example is tonight's N. Illinois at Iowa State game going on right now that is being carried on most of the FSN RSNs. It's not on any of the RSN HD feeds, but it is available in HD on 445 HDALT. I hope no one missed it in HD because it wasn't where it WOULD have been last year. This seems to be intentional and systematic, not just a matter of the program guide not listing the RSN HD feeds until the last minute.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts