Rsn And Nesnhd Alert!!!!! OFFICIAL PRESS RELEASE!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Hi Gents, I live in the GSP DMA (Asheville, NC) and FSN South would be my territorial RSN (although i get all Reds games on FS Cinci), I haven't really been around much to check but are the Braves in HD in my area? I've checked in the 90's once or twice but never seen it there (i assume they have to be playing @ home and on FSN South) Granted bad baseball is bad baseball in HD or SD. But I'm still curious about this.

does this mean I can FINALLY watch the Padres in HD down here in San Diego, at least away games.

Totally unfair how the Padres / COX treat the tax payers that paid for the stadium downtown and bankrupted the city in the process.

FSN Bay Aarea

I live in Elk Grove, CA and FSN Bay Area is my RSN. They have chosen to broadcast in HD to certain zip codes in their Market. I upgraded equipment because I was told FSNBA was available in HD. I have spent hours on the phone trying to get a answer. Last night a Directv retention Representative told me it was FSNBA who tells then who can receive their HD signal. This does not make since to me since I receive their SD signal. Anyone know how I can go about finding out the correct answer?

firemed509 said:
I live in Elk Grove, CA and FSN Bay Area is my RSN. They have chosen to broadcast in HD to certain zip codes in their Market. I upgraded equipment because I was told FSNBA was available in HD. I have spent hours on the phone trying to get a answer. Last night a Directv retention Representative told me it was FSNBA who tells then who can receive their HD signal. This does not make since to me since I receive their SD signal. Anyone know how I can go about finding out the correct answer?

For now, until there is more bandwidth available, you must live in the market of the rsn, not just be eligible to receive them. I live in CT and get all the rsn's from NY and Boston, but because I am in the Hartford dma, I don't get any of the hd feeds.

Now What

charper1 said:
And its barely the 5th business day of August; LOL
Getting back to your cute reply. It's now August 28th, "Where's the Beef", still not active in Chicago.

Hytops said:
Getting back to your cute reply. It's now August 28th, "Where's the Beef", still not active in Chicago.
I just spoke to a CSR and she told me that Comcast will not allow D* to broadcast there HD signal. She gave me a phone number (888-225-4322), and a web site ( www.fcc.gov) to complain.

I just emailed a rep at comcast chicago and he said the technicalities are being worked out and it should be up soon.....we'll see

wolfman said:
I just spoke to a CSR and she told me that Comcast will not allow D* to broadcast there HD signal. She gave me a phone number (888-225-4322), and a web site ( www.fcc.gov) to complain.

This is another CSR trying to speak about something they don't know details about. They need to be rooted out and fired. Even on the DirecTV website it announces that the Comcast SportsNet Chicago HD channel is "coming soon" it just doesn't give any specific time or date. These CSRs are just as bad as all the rumor posts on the boards about all the who, what, when and where, that cause everyone to get into a snit when those rumors don't pan out.

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/global/contentPage.jsp?assetId=P1500046

Last edited:
I do realize most of the CSR's don't know what's going on, and I believe it's because D* doesn't keep them informed on what's going on. Not saying all CSR's are smart though. Also D* should keep there web site up to date as to what's up with CSN Chicago HD. If technicalities are being worked out they should let us know.

FSN Bay Aarea

So I get this email from a CSR;

Thanks for asking about FSN Bay Area in HD. I'm sorry our previous response did not clarify this matter. While we do carry FSN Bay Area in HD in certain parts of their coverage area, we cannot provide FSN Bay Area in HD to you because our HD satellite “spot beam” doesn’t quite reach your area.

We deliver FSN Bay Area’s HD feed to the coverage area using the same technology we use to deliver local channels to the Sacramento-Stockton-Modesto CA area. This technology is known as a satellite spot beam and it covers the areas immediately around the city like a spotlight. In zip codes near the outer edges of a "spot beam," we aren't able to offer local channels or FSN Bay Area in HD because there is a possibility that another satellite spot beam will overlap and cause interference. As a result, even though you do live within the FSN Bay Area local coverage area, you live in a zip code where we are not able to deliver it to you. I’m sorry for any inconvenience

So why is it that I receive my locals in HD from Directv(95624)? I wish you could get a honest answer.

firemed509 said:
So I get this email from a CSR;

Thanks for asking about FSN Bay Area in HD. I'm sorry our previous response did not clarify this matter. While we do carry FSN Bay Area in HD in certain parts of their coverage area, we cannot provide FSN Bay Area in HD to you because our HD satellite “spot beam” doesn’t quite reach your area.

We deliver FSN Bay Area’s HD feed to the coverage area using the same technology we use to deliver local channels to the Sacramento-Stockton-Modesto CA area. This technology is known as a satellite spot beam and it covers the areas immediately around the city like a spotlight. In zip codes near the outer edges of a "spot beam," we aren't able to offer local channels or FSN Bay Area in HD because there is a possibility that another satellite spot beam will overlap and cause interference. As a result, even though you do live within the FSN Bay Area local coverage area, you live in a zip code where we are not able to deliver it to you. I’m sorry for any inconvenience

So why is it that I receive my locals in HD from Directv(95624)? I wish you could get a honest answer.

Did you send that response back to them ??? I would.

I am still of the opinion it has more to do with the DMAs & RSNs themselves. You are in the Sacramento-Stockton DMA (not the San Fran DMA) and are lucky to get both the Comcast SportsNet West (your local teams) and FSN Bay Area (the San Fran teams) in SD.

IMHO, if and when Comcast SportsNet West HD becomes available, that will be what you get as your RSN HD in the Sacramento area.

I think really think its the leagues & RSNs (or at least more so) that are making this HD process more restrictive, as the DBS companies have nothing to gain by denying; and saying that its a "tech issue" is a way to save face on both sides.

I also think that LIL areas can be larger areas than RSNs because of possible anticipation of the elusive significantly viewed affiliates deal. I don't exactly agree with it, but its at least a possibility and makes as much sense seeing how god awfull the leagues are about blackouts and "claimed areas".

Attachments

• DMA.jpg
    DMA.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 141
FSN had been Sacramento only RSN until a year ago. Thats when Comcast came into the picture. I sure hope you are not right because Comcast only carries the Kings and Monarchs.

I've called multiple times to report this for the horrible slow-mo picture for the Boston HD locals and NESN HD and each time D* has responded that no one has reported this and it's been escilated. It's been almost a month now and these channels are unwatchable. Does anyone know if D* is actually doing anything to acknowledge this problem?

All the other times you called to report it, did you get employee IDs and something to reference your calls to; case numbers, etc; just in case you needed to call back? That's always the best practise towards ALL business so we can weed out the inept CSRs. Not asking the CSRs for their identifying info is a bad habit to get into, and they must provide it when asked; AFAIK.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.