RSN Question about Blackouts

james_k_p

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 11, 2006
Slidell, LA
I'm not sure I get this. I live in Slidell, LA. A suburb north of New Orleans and considered still part of the New Orleans Market.

That said, on our cable systems we receive Fox SouthWest RSN. I can't say I watch it much because nothing really comes on it for me. It's mostly Houston sports which I can care LESS About.

Anyways, on cable we get whatever comes on it I believe. But on Dish, and now SouthWest HD as it was turned on this week, the damn Rocket games are blacked out or something. Why even give us the dumb station if it's supposed to be our region, and then black it out? So therefore we'll get the station, but I'd imagine any pro games on it, NBA or MLB, will probably be unavailable to me. What a waste of a freakin' channel.

And to top it off, our more realistic regional sports station is something that the New Orleans cable provider COX came up with, named Cox Sports of course. They show tons of New Orleans related sports, and of course the Hornets. Being Cox owns it, I suppose this will NEVER see the light of day on satellite. Therefore, without me subscribing to some goofy "digital sports tier" on cable, along with my E* setup, I'll never be able to get my RSN.

Anyways, enough of my rant, but why in the heck are they blacking out games on Fox SouthWest?

I'm not sure I get this. I live in Slidell, LA. A suburb north of New Orleans and considered still part of the New Orleans Market.

That said, on our cable systems we receive Fox SouthWest RSN. I can't say I watch it much because nothing really comes on it for me. It's mostly Houston sports which I can care LESS About.

Anyways, on cable we get whatever comes on it I believe. But on Dish, and now SouthWest HD as it was turned on this week, the damn Rocket games are blacked out or something. Why even give us the dumb station if it's supposed to be our region, and then black it out? So therefore we'll get the station, but I'd imagine any pro games on it, NBA or MLB, will probably be unavailable to me. What a waste of a freakin' channel.

And to top it off, our more realistic regional sports station is something that the New Orleans cable provider COX came up with, named Cox Sports of course. They show tons of New Orleans related sports, and of course the Hornets. Being Cox owns it, I suppose this will NEVER see the light of day on satellite. Therefore, without me subscribing to some goofy "digital sports tier" on cable, along with my E* setup, I'll never be able to get my RSN.

Anyways, enough of my rant, but why in the heck are they blacking out games on Fox SouthWest?

I don't know for sure, but my guess is that since N.O. has an NBA team you're not allowed to watch the Rockets.

I also have FSNSW, I live in Austin, TX. FSNSW carries quite a bit of nba games; however, you are only allowed to watch what is in your viewing area. For instance, all mavericks game are blacked out for me, along with every other team, because I am in the Spurs home area. The same applies for you, except its the hornets home viewing area. MLB is quite different as the Rangers and Astros allow viewers from Dallas and Houston to watch either teams games. The first game FSNSW would have of those MLB teams is not until May. I imagine the Stars would play games on it as well...for NHL. I think one reason Dish was reluctant to add the RSN in HD was because there's not a lot of content for some regions.

FSNSW doesn't have a lot of HD content right now and only shows a small percentage of games in HD. You'll see more HD games as the summer goes on on the FSNSW HD channel though. YOu just have to realize which region you're in and which blackout rules apply to you....its not dish, its the league

I also have FSNSW, I live in Austin, TX. FSNSW carries quite a bit of nba games; however, you are only allowed to watch what is in your viewing area. For instance, all mavericks game are blacked out for me, along with every other team, because I am in the Spurs home area. The same applies for you, except its the hornets home viewing area. MLB is quite different as the Rangers and Astros allow viewers from Dallas and Houston to watch either teams games. The first game FSNSW would have of those MLB teams is not until May. I imagine the Stars would play games on it as well...for NHL. I think one reason Dish was reluctant to add the RSN in HD was because there's not a lot of content for some regions.

FSNSW doesn't have a lot of HD content right now and only shows a small percentage of games in HD. You'll see more HD games as the summer goes on on the FSNSW HD channel though. YOu just have to realize which region you're in and which blackout rules apply to you....its not dish, its the league

Gotcha. So basically in New Orleans, this channel will be exclusively for some MLB HD games (Rangers and Astros). Well, this will be cool for me when the Red Sox play the Rangers. :)

yeah, pretty much in new orleans you'll get astros and rangers for baseball and whatever nhl team claims N.O. or your zip code as their home territory. on the alt sports channels you'll see a lot of other games carried by fsnsw but you're only allowed to see the ones which claim your zip code as home viewing area. I guess its too bad for you that fsn doesn't carry the hornets games but you'll get those baseball and hockey games.

Don't forget you'll get college football games as well when that time of year comes. Who knows what teams will get HD coverage on fsnsw but if its a team local to you, you'll get that as well.

Also, just because a game is on fsnsw doesn't mean it'll be on fsnswHD. You probably knew that but just in case, there it is.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)