RSN's HD

taylor2767

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 13, 2006
Is it just me or is anyone else having issues receiving the HD versions of Fox-Cincinnati and STO? Since the HD launch all I get on those two channels are the dish logo and backgroung music. Calls to tech support have not helped and they say it's because I dont have the right software version. I currently have L405. Any help?

Is it just me or is anyone else having issues receiving the HD versions of Fox-Cincinnati and STO? Since the HD launch all I get on those two channels are the dish logo and backgroung music. Calls to tech support have not helped and they say it's because I dont have the right software version. I currently have L405. Any help?
All you're going to get on those HD channels is the Dish logo, except during the game. Check HD Sports Guide - HDTV Sports Listings & News for HD game information. There's an Indians game on STO-HD tonight.

Thanks for the replies. What is your current software version if you have your RSN in HD. I hve L405 but the tech support people seem a little confused about which version I needed in order to get the channels. One says L405 another said L406?

Thanks for the replies. What is your current software version if you have your RSN in HD. I hve L405 but the tech support people seem a little confused about which version I needed in order to get the channels. One says L405 another said L406?
Firmware doesn't matter. If you can see the logo, and you're in Indians territory, you can see the game at game time. To be sure, try setting a timer for the game tonight in the EPG. If it lets you do that, you'll get the game.

The software version has nothing to do with what channels you get. L4.05 & 4.06 is current. Only a few have received 4.06 though.

Typical uninformed CSRs. :(

What Dish Network needs to do is make another card that says something to the effect of:

"This HD sports channel is active only during live games. Check the schedule at (URL/etc.) or go to www.dishnetwork.com for more information."

Static cards like this require a very small bitrate so it effectively should not cost any important bandwidth if an appropriate transponder is used. I've heard they may have plans of full-time coverage once more bandwidth is available (i.e. late next year maybe), but until then, a message like this will prevent a lot of confusion from customers as these channels are added (and as customers add the channels on their own).

Ok, maybe I just haven't done enough searching, but I don't get how broadcasting only the games is saving bandwidth. Are there channels that are being turned off while the games are on? Do other channels get output at a lower bitrate?

Ok, maybe I just haven't done enough searching, but I don't get how broadcasting only the games is saving bandwidth. Are there channels that are being turned off while the games are on? Do other channels get output at a lower bitrate?
If these were full time HD channels E* would not have this many HD RSN's up and running. When no game is on they are using little to no bandwidth.

From what I've seen, even though Dish parks fifteen or so HD RSNs on 129tp8, only four can carry games there simultaneously. If there are more than four games, the overflow moves to some other transponder for that day. Dish doesn't have enough transponder space to show all the RSNs in HD all day, so they only show the games.

The logo and music that you see is going out at a pretty low bitrate, compared to the HD games.

maybe dish could map the hd channel to the sd channel when there's no hd content, it might solve some of this confusion and make people think they always have the channel ;)

maybe dish could map the hd channel to the sd channel when there's no hd content, it might solve some of this confusion and make people think they always have the channel ;)

That's exactly what I thought would happen. I was able to confirm that STO HD was available for viewing tonight.

I live in central ohio and receive both STO and Foxsports CN. I cannot get the hd broadcast since thay are on sat 129. I rec 61.5,105(columbus locals),110 and 119. I have a dp44. I could do without the locals since I have a OTA that was supplied by Voom. I use the locals for recording while watching a local in Hd from the OAT. Dish had no explanation for me or alternatives. Any suggestions?

I live in central ohio and receive both STO and Foxsports CN. I cannot get the hd broadcast since thay are on sat 129. I rec 61.5,105(columbus locals),110 and 119. I have a dp44. I could do without the locals since I have a OTA that was supplied by Voom. I use the locals for recording while watching a local in Hd from the OAT. Dish had no explanation for me or alternatives. Any suggestions?
Swing the 61.5 dish over to 129? (Not quite that easy, you'd have to adjust the elevation too)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)