Rumor : Best Buy may be buying Radio Shack

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Not open for further replies.
I recall all of those companies. I think the kits from Lafayette were called EICO and I built a multimeter, a tube tester a DC variable power supply. From Allied Radioshack I recall it was Knight Kit. I built a short wave receiver. and a 6146 Ham transmitter. Can't recall the actual name of the transmitter but T150 for 150 watts seems to ring some memory cells.

Another name I used to order parts from was Newark Electronics.

BTW- I got my first HAM ticket in 1963 - WA3 BJR Got my Extra in 1967.

I still have a pair of Optimus Speakers that might have been the best speakers ever put out by the Shack. The Model was Pro LX5 Bookshelf Speakers. Still have the Walkie Talkies my dad gave me years ago.

I recall all of those companies. I think the kits from Lafayette were called EICO and I built a multimeter, a tube tester a DC variable power supply. From Allied Radioshack I recall it was Knight Kit. I built a short wave receiver. and a 6146 Ham transmitter. Can't recall the actual name of the transmitter but T150 for 150 watts seems to ring some memory cells.

Another name I used to order parts from was Newark Electronics.

BTW- I got my first HAM ticket in 1963 - WA3 BJR Got my Extra in 1967.

Me too. April, 1963. WA9OHS

I built the Knight SWR meter. Used it for years. I built the instruments mostly from Heath. I'm thinking the T150 was Heath as well. Only transmitter I built from them was a 6 M Benton harbor lunchbox, that I heavily modified over the years.

Forgot to mention my Knight Grid Dipper! :)

Heath kits were an SB102 and a spectrum analyzer.

My 6Meter rig was a Clegg 99. and a Johnson Viking 6N2.

Amazing I can recall all those things from my childhood!

The only stuff I have from those days is my Home Brew transmitter. Pair of 4-1000A in Push Pull with a pair of 833 as modulator. BIG AM rig for 75, 40 and 15 Meter AM. It is too heavy to throw out so it is in the back yard storage shed.

Yep, I guess. I remember Allied but not Lafayette Electronic Part Stores.

Now I'm trying to remember the catalogs I used for electronic parts such as IC chips. Something in-line catalog?

Oops, my memory was confused :eek:; being from New York in the old days Lafayette electronic parts stores were the big daddy electronic store in the 50s. I guess as it went out of business, Radio Shack started taking over the old store location sites which led to my fuzzy memory.

Anyway, it was Allied as you stated that was purchased by Radio Shack; Lafayette was purchased by Circuit City.

Is the memory the first thing to go? :tux:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)