run local cable through ota input?

crash58

Original poster
Jun 2, 2009
Anniston Alabama
Has anyone ever tried to run local cable through the ota input? My problem is I can’t pick up any ota channels without installing the large outdoor antenna (which I don’t want to do) . As discussed in other forums, I loose signal all the time when it gets cloudy. I end up missing all my shows on the local channels. I was thinking about getting the very basic package from my local cable company. I would like the run that through the ota port. In theory this should work but was just wondering if anyone has every done it successfully.

The OTA input is an ATSC tuner which won't work with cable. I don't think it'll even pick up QAM channels that your locals would be on. I don't think any of the cable companies are using anything but STBs and analog converter boxes anymore.

I love my antenna - never miss anything and the picture is great.

I could not find any info about the TV antenna/cable input on the back of the 311 box. Nothing in the user manual, nothing found in menus to setup TV antenna HD stations like for the vip211k box.

And....get your satellite fixed. I lose signal maybe 4-8 times a year; only with horrible thunderstorms. If you are really having problems on cloudy days, the dish needs adjustment.

With my vip211k I was able to choose cable by entering Menu/System Set up/HDTV Setup. Under Analog Type, the choices are Offair, IRC, HRC, and Cable.

I could not find any info about the TV antenna/cable input on the back of the 311 box. Nothing in the user manual, nothing found in menus to setup TV antenna HD stations like for the vip211k box.

The 311 only has the tuner for Dish network. The 311 does not have an OTA tuner, the input you see is only a pass thru used to hook up when your tv only has the one input.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)