Running antenna feed and dish feed over same cable

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

mfino

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 2, 2003
My Father in lwa refuses to pay for the locals, so I wanted to put up one of those TERK dish antennas, and route that to the TV. His problem now is, , refuses to get other receivers, but was wondering how can we send both the antenna and or dish signal to the other remaining TV's? DO i need to get a diplexer or special splitter that would route on the existing cable wire? Can i purchase this through the DishStore? (I really need to be able to get some Football in time for Thanksgiving ) Thanks again for everyone's help.

Tell us a little more about his TV system. How many TVs, is cable run from a common point, what channels do you receive over the air? How are you bringing in the satellite signal and the TV antenna?

You will at a minimum need a pair if diplexers to get sat and OTA to your main set (on the same cable). More detail will be needed to advise on routing the signals to any other sets.

The feed would go to I believe two TV's (maybe 3) But the thought is that we would run the antenna (TERK Clip on) and the dish together into the dish receiver. Then we would ideally like to split the feed to the basement, using the existing cable, into the existing splitters downstairs. And then finally we would be able to send those feeds to the second, and or third TV. Is this even possible?

I don't know how many channels we are looking to receive off air, but it looks like we can get at least the major broadcasts so let's say 4-5.

mfino said:
The feed would go to I believe two TV's (maybe 3) But the thought is that we would run the antenna (TERK Clip on) and the dish together into the dish receiver. Then we would ideally like to split the feed to the basement, using the existing cable, into the existing splitters downstairs. And then finally we would be able to send those feeds to the second, and or third TV. Is this even possible?

I don't know how many channels we are looking to receive off air, but it looks like we can get at least the major broadcasts so let's say 4-5.
You can out put the satellite receiver on channel 3 or channel 4 are either of those channels in use in your fathers area? If you are using Terk's diplexers to bring in the satellite and TV antenna channels you will need a different coaxial cable to carry the signal to the existing splitter. :)

Maybe thinking of it in a different way might help.

You've got 2 separate "problems".

Problem #1: Getting the OTA signal from outside to inside. Solution: Diplexers on the satellite feed cable.

Now you've got everything at the back of the E* box - OTA at the diplexer and satellite at the box. So, ...

Problem #2: Get BOTH signals to the rest of the house.

Solution: Combine them (with a combiner ;) ) and put that output into the house wiring.

Note that you might need a video amplifier somewhere in the mix, and if you need OTA where the satellite receiver sits, you might need a splitter for the OTA coming out of the diplexer.

A few more questions
Do you want the ability to tune each TV for the OTA signals and feed the dish signal to all? or just utilize the dish receiver for the same channel (OTA and Satellite) on all of the TV's?
The second scenario is much simpler but limits you to the same station for all the TV's.

Man you guys rock. These are acutally starting to make sense to me. I guess my problem now is to know which diplexers, combiners, and or amplifier to use.

Rcbridge - This is an excellent idea. Being able to tune the OTA signals seperately and dish to all, though I agree it sounds complicated. My original thought was the first scenario, but how would the second scenario work? Thanks again.

rcbridge said:
A few more questions
Do you want the ability to tune each TV for the OTA signals and feed the dish signal to all? or just utilize the dish receiver for the same channel (OTA and Satellite) on all of the TV's?
The second scenario is much simpler but limits you to the same station for all the TV's.

If you only want the Sat box to control all the TV's.
I'm not sure if your Sat box will allow the OTA signal to pass through if it is turned off.

You need to combine the sat feed with the ota using a diplexer Sat to the high side ota to the low side (if you are going to use an amp for the ota your diplexers must not allow dc to pass on the low side).

Separate the two with another diplexer near the sat box (high side to sat input and low side to antenna input).

Your sat box should be able to tune everything.

To get the signal to the other sets you will need a second cable to a splitter or distribution amp to feed the other TV's.

Which connection are you using for your main set RF,Composite, S or component?

Really? What exactly doesn't work well about it? What are other solutions short of rabbit ears?

Jordan420 said:
My advice is not to waste any $$$ on the Terk clip on antenna---they do not work well at all

I am trying to do the same thing, my wife doesnt't want cables running from the antennas to my two units (6000, 811). I have a SW64 switch going to 4 TVs and I may need to run two cables for OTA channels to me two HD receivers. Is the use of diplexers suggested? If so how I hook thes up? Oh and one more thing, what type of Antenna should I use, I currently have two indoors Antennas (Silver Sensor on my 600 and an RCA ANT501, both are decent antennas but I don't receive all the channels available in my area, thus the need to use an old antenna that I found in the attic when we moved in the house, I have tested with my 811 and I get most of the channels although I cannot receive the feed from FOX. Please give me some advise. If it helps I live in NJ, Union to be exact.

As always thankyou for your help :confused:

Basically you do the following (hopefully this comes out):
diplexers.gif

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts