Running Vista?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

docj2005

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 19, 2004
st louis park mn
i know that mytheater works somewhat in vista... ( at least for me it seems to lock up after a few min. )
WHat other software seems to be working with vista?
thanks
docj

you telling me that nobody is running vista.... 56 of you at least looked at the message...
sombody must be running this software...
i know its a lot better then the betas that i got to test...
thanks again
doc j

I'm not running Vista, so I can't help you. Sorry. MyTheatre works great with Windows XP. I have no need to upgrade until I get a new computer.

I'm running Vista Ultimate and Office 2007. I've noticed the following so far.
- Outlook sits in "not responding" for at least 1.5 minutes every time I launch it while it updates its local copy of my mailbox from the exchange server.
- Slingplayer works great but it sometimes turns off the Aero theme.
- NVIDIA drivers aren't quite ready yet.
- I don't have any PCI DVB hardware so I can't report on that.

Even if you came to my house and hand delivered a copy of Vista to my door I'd still stick it in the drawer. Or maybe I'd be nice and put it on the junk machine in the spare bedroom that the kid's friends use and let them load it up with viruses and such.

Vvvv... viiiii... vissssh...wishta?

I usually wait a year or two (or a couple of service packs, whichever comes first) before adopting a new version of M$OS.

Only have XP on two boxes. The laptop came with it four years ago. :)
Everything else runs Win2000 around here.

I was just brainstorming today with a buddy over why my new Twinhan card didn't work so well on the computer it was installed in.
When he finally realized I had Win2k and not WinXP on it, he proclaimed that was the problem.
I'll be changing soon, and we'll see.
But Vista? I don't think so. Not while this president is still in office!

Thanks linuxman, reading that story about Vista really confirms just how far MS has gone-its shocking. I hope I never land in a position that requires me to buy it, or try to operate a computer thats stuck with Vista. DRM-insanity. They should just remove any multimedia ability from computers, no audio playback, no dvd playback etc. Email and web searches may be the only use for new computers. Oh and maybe throw in a simple calculator, as long as the video is fuzzy.
charles

Yeah, I was pretty shocked when I read it myself.

I put my first copy of XP Pro on my laptop about 3 or 4 months ago. That's how soon I adapt to a new version of Windows. I use Linux most of the time.

I wondered if the author of the article linked above was on target, or way out in left field. Either way, it got my attention.

I just hope Kaffeine and Linux catch up in features and usability with DVBViewer and DVBDream soon. :D

Im not so sure anole, I just read about an hour on a windows forum, to see what kind of problems people are having. Seemed to be a lot of what that long-winded story talked of. MS knows they will be the targets of tons of lawsuits in the future, over IP stuff, but it seems they really went overboard on the rights management features. I won't be buying it unless I'm forced to for work.
charles

stamp me: OBSOLETE

I cannot mention any solutions that are allegedly available for DRM, already.
Partly because we don't discuss such things here.
But also since I won't running M$V any time soon, it's not on my list of things to worry about.

Those solutions would not be available to Jane & Joe Average who can't spell GOOGLE.
So, I'm sure they'll be kept under control.

The real losers in this whole debacle are (as always) people buying new computers, who want to run some pre-Vista program or hardware with it.
You can't get XP on a new computer anywhere (generally).
It's now a Vista world.

I was on another software forum when some newbie asked: "is your program compatible with Vista?"
I felt like answering: "Is Vista compatible with this software?" :rolleyes:

Good luck getting a Vista-compatible driver for your legacy toy.
Of course, in 6 - 18 months, all the old toys will either get decent driver support, or they'll crumble to dust as have so many other obsolete products, no longer supported by manufacturers.
It goes like this: "Why should we build drivers for our obsolete scanner/video/TV card, when we can sell 'em the new one?"

Don't say I've got a negative attitude.
I have a very positive one.
I'm absolutely positive we're getting screwed again.
That rubber stamp on my forehead says: "OBSOLETE" :cool:

There are still some "Channel Builders" out there where you can still get new boxes with XP on them and will still be able to do so for probably another 2 -3 years.

Heck, I ordered a new computer for a client last November, and got W2K on it because they have a high-dollar program that won't run on XP.

I just ordered 4 new boxes yesterday with XP-Pro for a client.

True, you won't find it at BB, or CC, but they can still be found. So we have a little time yet.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)