Running Windows 7 Professional in XP mode

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Why do you need GoToMyPc? Unless you need to transfer files or listen to sounds, you can use LogMeIn for free. I've used it for years and it's been a life-saver for fixing the numerous computer problems my dad has.

Want to thank you for a great lead. Logmein.com has exactly what I needed.

It set up in minutes and they have a very nice app for the ipad that streamlines the access to a PC keyboard, right clicking and such. The ipad displays my 1920x1200 screen too small but the two touch zoom and the full screen is enlarged to read and place the mouse pointer accurately. The zoom in also resharpens the screen to full resolution sharpness. I am really impressed with this FREE service.

I did buy the ipad app and that was at the highend but the savings and features with the app vs. the gotomypc is a no brainer. app cost $29.95. You can use the service without it but the navigation is limited and a bit awkward.

After June, as I understand it, there will only be security fixes.

What else do you need from Microsoft? Are you going to call them for technical support or something?!! :D

Last I heard, Vista support still ends in 2012
The Mainstream support for Vista ends 10/04/2012, but Extended Support continues through 11/04/2017.

Want to thank you for a great lead. Logmein.com has exactly what I needed.

It set up in minutes and they have a very nice app for the ipad that streamlines the access to a PC keyboard, right clicking and such. The ipad displays my 1920x1200 screen too small but the two touch zoom and the full screen is enlarged to read and place the mouse pointer accurately. The zoom in also resharpens the screen to full resolution sharpness. I am really impressed with this FREE service.

I did buy the ipad app and that was at the highend but the savings and features with the app vs. the gotomypc is a no brainer. app cost $29.95. You can use the service without it but the navigation is limited and a bit awkward.
Hopefully they'll make a Android version in the near future, as I'll probably be getting one. Yeah LMI is a great tool. When I was in China I wanted to update my Facebook with info about my trip, but of course, Facebook is BANNED in China (while other, Chinese run knock-offs are perfectly legal.) I was able to log into my dad's computer from China with LMI and make the updates on his computer (as well as log into SatGuys, which is also ironically BANNED in China.) I believe my first post was something along the lines of, "I got on to Facebook from China! Suck on THAT you Communist Bastards!" and my friends were afraid I was going to like get arrested in China for making that statement.

I am interested to see how your XP mode trails go. My dad has an aging Dell Celeron computer that's at least 8 years old and he has ONE program that he absolutely needs that probably won't run in 7, so to be able to get a similar setup working on his upcoming machine would be ideal.

Last edited:
I used logmein with my TP2 on it's wifi router mode on the ipad. I then showed a friend the "ap" that runs windows XP in the ipad. He was jaw dropped. I could hardly keep a straight face. He was totally fooled wondering how the heck did they ever get something like this through Apple screening. He was convinced Apple allowed win XP to run on the ipad. :D Then I showed him it was a remote desktop but he was still impressed.

Something that have I found out just recently: as of March this year Windows XP mode and Windows Virtual PC on Windows 7 no longer require Hardware Virtualization!
This means that you can now run the XP mode on any computer that runs Windows 7, even a netbook!
Of course without hardware virtualization support Virtual Machines will be very slow, but they will work!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)