RV Dish

shodobe

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 8, 2003
NorCal
I have a dish on my trailer that I use when out on the road. I take one of my recievers from the house and use it. The only problem I have is that it only picks up one sat. The dish I have on the trailer isn't set-up for a dual LNB so I was wondering what I could do to take care of this problem. Suggestions? Thanks, Mike

From searching your posts you seem to be a DISH Network customer so you will need to buy a DISH 500 and learn how to set Azimuth, Elevation, and Skew everytime you stop and set up camp. Only 1 more setting than you had before.

I go camping about 2 times a month. I have an extra Dish 500 I take, just carry a compass and a level. I go to undeveloped camp spots and have it set up where I can mount my dish on either of my campers. (actually have taken a 3rd dish a couple of times) Just be sure to take a coax connector to take the place of the sw21 switch if applicable. (unless you get a quad) I have used a tripod and a sawed off chain link fence post before also, used tent stakes to secure tripod.

A Dish500 would be a bit simpler to go travelling with than the SuperDish. At least with a SuperDish you can pick up your local channels all over the U.S. instead of under your spot beam.

My question wasn't, "how to get a signal", I know how to do that. When I bought the dish for the trailer 3 years ago we didn't have the dual LNB and that many sats. When I do go out and set-up, I can usually only find one bird, the 119. I want to be able to pick up both 119 and 110. My dish is permanently mounted on the roof, does E* make a dish that has the 500 capabilities where I can pick up both birds? I would even go with a portable unit and forgo the roof unit. Also, is a a SW21 still necessary for this portable unit like the one at home or could I go with the LNBs that have the built in switches? Thanks Mike

All you need is a dish 500 with a dual LNB it will have a built in switch everything else will be the same you could then take the dish off of your roof and replace it with your new dish. Then you can get 110 and 119 I believe that will get all you need. The rest will be just like your setup.

Now trust me if I have made any errors in my response to your questions someone will let me know. So I hope this helped you. :D

Thanks for the info. I probably will try to see about buying something off of Ebay or the clasifieds here. I think I can adapt a newer dish to the existing bracket on the trailer. The one I have cranks up and down and looks just like my E* type. Mike

Just make sure if you have a legacy receiver (that is not DishPro) that you get legacy lnbf/switch setup instead of a DishPro setup. If you have a DishPro receiver then it will work with a legacy or DishPro lnbf/switch setup.

I have a 501 and a 510. Also and older 4000 model, under the bed. I probably will just take the 501 when out with the trailer. All of components at home use SW21 switches. Mike

The 4000 receiver would need to be used with legacy lnbf's and legacy switches or need a DishPro adaptor to be used with DishPro lnbf's and DishPro switches. The 501 and 510 should work fine with Legacy or DishPro lnbf's and switches.

:) Be very careful taking a 501,508,510,522 & 721 camping the hard drives are very prone to failure, just sitting in your living room. The vibration from travelling may just be asking for failures. :D This website might help you, http://www.switchinfo.info/index.htm

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)