RV Receiver

Gorbash

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 13, 2007
Fayetteville, Texas
Folks just got a 39' motor home with one of the sat dishes that receives all the time. And I remember reading a couple posts from people that have travel receivers and I wonder what your recommendations are for them. Or do y'all just use one of the receivers already in your house?

The bus has 2 HDTVs, so if there is an HD receiver, or even if that Dish is capable of receiving the HD signal.

Also how do locals work with a mobile set up? Especially now that everything is on spotbeams.

Thanks.

You'll likely end up setting up your own Dish 500 anyway, to get 2 sats from the same antenna. I don't think any of the built in ones have dual sat capability. It's easy enough to set up a tripod and aim. I used to do it all the time.

There is a Winegard Automatic roof dish that can receive all three Dish Satellites. Normal roof mount dishes can only receive 110/119.

We use a tripod and a Dish 1000 for our VIP622. The advantage of the tripod is that you don't have to worry about be parked under tress.

No RV is going to come wired to handle two HD TVs. The normal satellite cabling, if there is satellite cabling is one feed from the roof dish to the bedroom and one to the living room. If there is no roof dish, then the probability is a single outside input to the living room. So wiring will be needed.

We are full-timers, our RV is our house.

Many part-timers take one of the house satellite receivers on the road, but that will only address one TV. That is unless the receiver is a 622/722 which can drive a second TV but wiring additions would be needed for that.

The "rules" according to Dish, that I follow myself, are:

Leased equipment is not to be removed from your residence and has to be "in service" all the time or they want it back or they charge you the list price.

You can buy an HD receiver from a number of vendors and then it's your business where you take it.

If you file the paperwork for an RV exemption they know it is moving around and so will answer repeated calls because you have trouble getting it going some days.

Also with an RV exemption you used to be able to get New York or LA network feeds, however people have been posting here that that isn't the case now. I'd check it out because without that, there really isn't a point to the whole RV/semi truck thing.

The RV receiver is added to your regular home account and gets everything the rest of your receivers do and the cost is the same as if it were an additonal home receiver.

Thanks for the info. I'll have to get more info about what type of roof dish came with the RV. The only thing I know for sure is that it can receive sat signal while on the move.

I get a deer in the headlights look from my Dad when I go over and ask him these type of questions, so I'll have to borrow his user manual for the RV and get the info.

Didn't they stop issuing new RV exemptions? Now you're supposed to have a separate RV account, and it's really meant for people who live in their RVs, and truckers?

Didn't they stop issuing new RV exemptions? Now you're supposed to have a separate RV account, and it's really meant for people who live in their RVs, and truckers?
I finally got some straight skinny from Dish and no they do not offer RV exemptions anymore.

However I have a dish receiver installed in my trailer and I've never gotten any flack from anybody at support about it. And I have called with probs on this setup over 6 or 7 times in the last two years.

The only RV thing Dish seems to care about is that leased equipment cannot go on the road so I own my trailer 211. And when I've done upgrades I've never had any problem stopping any demand for a professional install explaining that the dish isn't aimed at anything when the trailer is parked at my house.

There is a network solution but it isn't great. mydistantnetworks.com will give you the RV exemption just as Dish used to. You have to already be a Dish customer and then these folks get you San Francisco and Atlanta feeds of the four major networks for 12.99 a month but they don't do partial months like Dish with a 2nd receiver fee whenever I turn it on for a trip. That is 6 bucks and this outfit is 13 bucks.

Big fly in the ointment is: No HD feeds of the networks at this time.

It's better than nothing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)