RV Satellite

Status
Not open for further replies.

marconi

Mar 2, 2008
I'm a late baby boomer who knows the history of the first trans-atlantic radio message (check out my name), but I'm asking for help with mobile satellite for RV/camping. Aint technology great??

Anyway,

I'm a current Dish suscriber, wanting to add satellite capabilty to my RV. I'm leaning toward the Vu Cube portable dish. I understand the 110/119 satellite move to see most channels (all in my case, dish 100 subscriber). I've searched and read many reviews on RV dishes, and am sold on the Vu Cube's ability to be located anywhere within a 100 foot RG6 radius. (Dome dishes while more secure and less obviuos are at the mercy of you campsite's location amungst the trees.) Also, I like the idea of being able to take the Cube elsewhere, hunting or tailgating.

It's not an option for me, or more accurately I'd rather spend the money for a second receiver, to avoid transporting my Vip 622 receiver with at least 15 cables going to it (audio/video composite RCA, component and S video, off air antenna, second/third room coax, digital fiber audio, and phone). It sucks to acces the back.

My question. I understand that the Vu Cube is designed for a single tuner receiver (i.e the dish 311). But with HDT off air soon to replace anaolg off air broadcasts, it make sense to me to purchase an HD satellite receiver with HD off air compatability (even if I don't need the HD capability yet in the RV (25 inch LCD, viewing from 5-6 feet).

Will the view cube work with a Dish VIP 211 receiver? (HD stellite single tuner receiver with off air HD capability).

Now even a harder question. My wife and I love DVR, especially the pause live video feature. If you study the DVR selection fro Dish, they are all two tuner receivers. (Think about it.). Is there a way to have DVR and Dish Network with the Vu Cube? Can the VIP 612 be configured for single LNB? I don't care about the ability to watch one program and record another (two tuners), just the ability to pause and rewind the program I am watching with the Vu Cube.

Thanks all.
Looking forward to input.

Marconi

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you're going to have to go to Vu Cube with that question.

If the Vu Cube works with the 211. I was thinking the same thing, the problem with the VuCube is the size of the dish. Dish does not endorse it because of the size of the dish (They don't endorse others except the new winegard).

Some people like them, however with dish you need to do a check switch everytime you change sats. You can store two sats in memory when you get whereyou are going. They grow legs too.

Here are some links
Vu Qube Portable Satellite TV Antenna - Camping World

RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Technology Corner: Any VuQube Users Out There

RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Technology Corner: New Winegard RV mounted multi satellite dish

Search rv.net and get some good info about them. Also you might look that the new winegard dish 1000. Winegard TRAV'LER DISH 1000 Multi-Satellite TV Antenna - Camping World

I am leaning more towards it and just keep the tripod and dish 500 if I am under trees. This way there is no problem with set up. Also with the VuQube the 622 will not have the dual tuner since it is a single lnb. What I am planning to do is I got a 211 to go to the camper when we go out. In the future you should be able to hook up an external HD to it for a PVR. I will take my HD off the 622 with shows I want and take it with the 211 camping. I hear people in here say that software update should be this summer.

Last edited:
Sadoun are you selling many of the vuqubes? Just wondering what people on here are saying about them. If I had not bought a 211 I though about it, however because of the size of the dish, don't think I would get that good of a signal where I camp. When I set up the portable have problems getting both 110 and 119 because of a tree. Most the time though that 1000 winegard will work. How many have you sold of those?

Somewhere I read (on line) that HD for dish network was available on the vucube, while direct TV was not. I don't know if some modification of the dish is necessary.
Docrock

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)