RV use. Another customer told "NO"

johnwadams

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 1, 2006
Arkansas
This came up last month on an RV Forum and has come up again for a different Dish user. Anyone got any ideas. My old Dish rcvr worked fine on 119 in the RV last week. And in the past they have always hit the box when needed.
John
"We went to Florida to the same location as the year before. I was unable to get reception.
My wife phoned DishTV and told them of this. She was told I could not use a receiver from home in our RV! after a long discussion that was headed no where, she was told we must have a separate account for the RV."

Last edited:
I am not sure why you can't get the dish to work in the same location. I can't believe the technology is there that the Sat company can tell where you are and turn off signal at that specific location only for your receiver. Or am I missunderstanding your comments. I do not understand what you mean by "And in the past they have always hit the box when needed" Not sure what you mean there.

I camp 10 to 12 times a year in a travel trailer. My dish network (spare) dish and one of my home receivers come along also. As long as I am able to get the signal and lock on it, I have everything I usually do at home (except locals if I am camping outside my local spotbeam). I just don't call Dish and tell them I am taking it camping! Also, my logest camping trip would be 2 weeks so why call them? I don't understand why. It is not worth it to turn off (vacation stoppage or whatever they call it) the home receivers for that short of a period to save a few pennies.

Now there are cases where I can't get a signal. But in those cases, I just put the dish away and enjoy the peace and quiet!

This came up last month on an RV Forum and has come up again for a different Dish user. Anyone got any ideas. My old Dish rcvr worked fine on 119 in the RV last week. And in the past they have always hit the box when needed.
John
"We went to Florida to the same location as the year before. I was unable to get reception.
My wife phoned DishTV and told them of this. She was told I could not use a receiver from home in our RV! after a long discussion that was headed no where, she was told we must have a separate account for the RV."

Not sure what the rules are but their FAQ SHOWS

"Mobile Service is for people on the go, such as truck drivers and RV owners. You can order up to nine movies before your smart card becomes full. Once your smart card becomes full you will need to connect your receiver to a phone line in order to clear the purchases. This service is $20.00 per year (not available monthly), and is only available on one receiver per account. Please call our Customer Service Center at 1-888-284-7116 to start Mobile Service. "

fire_317 ""And in the past they have always hit the box when needed" Not sure what you mean there.""

If the box has not been connected for a month or so, and I have got it set up with a good signal and get an error message such as "not authorized". I unplug, try again, pull card, reinsert card, etc. If still nothing after an hour, I call Dish and they "hit the box", then all is ok. Two years ago they found the software 2 versions out of date. At that time they offered to send a new box to the campground I was at if the "hit" did not take. It did take and when I got home I hooked up the box to a Dish 500 system it went to Sat 110 and downloaded new software. That box was being used only on Sat 119 with an old single lnb Dish 300.

As for the where are you? If you call in and the phone number does not match, that could give them a clue. If you call in and tell them you are in your RV, they know for sure. Even Direct has a note in their FAQ's now that separate service is required for an RV, but I know a lot of people that take a box from home with no problem. And some have to call in to have their box hit before it will work, especially if it has been left in the RV for some time and not hooked up. I don't know, but the key may be to keep the box live as much as possible.

No, you do not have to have a 2nd account. Yes, you do have to fill out a Proof of Ownership form and fax it along with a copy of your RV registration to DISH.

I have attached a copy of the form to this message. It's pretty self-explanatory.

Attachments

• Proof_of_Ownership_Form.pdf
    15.8 KB · Views: 285
When you call and get it hit, tell them you accidentially unplugged it for a few weeks. If they ask where it is, it's in your living room. They'll never know the difference.

No, you do not have to have a 2nd account. Yes, you do have to fill out a Proof of Ownership form and fax it along with a copy of your RV registration to DISH.

I have attached a copy of the form to this message. It's pretty self-explanatory.
Do you currently have an RV receiver “attached” to your home account?

I tried his a while back and was told that RV’s required a separate account.

Do you currently have an RV receiver “attached” to your home account?

I tried his a while back and was told that RV’s required a separate account.

I have several customers who do. RV's, House Boats, Semi Trucks.

You absolutely do not have to have a separate account for an RV. For a second home, you absolutely do.

I am not sure why you can't get the dish to work in the same location. I can't believe the technology is there that the Sat company can tell where you are and turn off signal at that specific location only for your receiver.
If the dish isnt pointed at the sat correctly then it wont get signal, and dish doesnt have the tech to see where its boxes are at but the audit department can when it calls you.

If the dish isnt pointed at the sat correctly then it wont get signal, and dish doesnt have the tech to see where its boxes are at but the audit department can when it calls you.

Best thing to do is keep the box plugged into the phone line at home, take it into the RV when you leave.

dont tell them you are camping... just tell them you were remodelling the bedroom and have had the reciever unplugged for a few weeks. If they argue, hang up and try again. Repeat until finished :)

All of the above is true, One more thing I might add to what Johnwadams covered, Check to see if the receiver has the "without My Permission" checked in the upgrade option of the menue.

More importantly is keeping it connected to a live satellite feed (at home). The updates and smart card hits only happen through the sat feed.
And, apparently, the software updates only come down on 110. That was what caused the software to be so out of date at one point. It was only hooked to a 119 feed in a back bedroom when not in the RV. And the dish I carry in the RV is an old Dish 300 that came with this receiver. First time I hooked it to a 110/119 feed it spent over 20 minutes downloading updates. Now it stays on a 110/119 feed when at home and has been ok ever since even though it may be out on just a 119 feed for 3 or 4 weeks at a time..

Dish can look at the "location" of the box and see if different receivers are connected to the same switch, which would make em in the same location

If you call about a dish in a second home, the location id would give it away.

And, apparently, the software updates only come down on 110. That was what caused the software to be so out of date at one point. It was only hooked to a 119 feed in a back bedroom when not in the RV. And the dish I carry in the RV is an old Dish 300 that came with this receiver. First time I hooked it to a 110/119 feed it spent over 20 minutes downloading updates. Now it stays on a 110/119 feed when at home and has been ok ever since even though it may be out on just a 119 feed for 3 or 4 weeks at a time..

No, I believe the software updates are on just about every satellite location.

First, I do not know if technology has changed for the newest receivers, but on past ones Dish cannot see any information about your location. In fact, that is why those with several receivers not hooked up to the same phone line (And thus calling in showing that) may receive a call from Dish asking for that information.

Second, I think some of the confusion stems from Distant Network requirements that for Dishnetwork no longer exist. To receive Distants in an RV you indeed did need a separate account and you had to sign that the receiver would not be used in a home. But with distants gone, you will encounter that with All American if you get distants from them with an RV waiver, but not with Dishnetwork.

It would appear dish is waiving the requirement to have all receivers hooked up to the same phone line, by allowing one to be used in an RV by reading the FAQ section about mobile use in conjunction with buying movies. But that one passage is not really enough information to know exactly what their policy is for RV use.

I had never read through the form before, but if I read it correctly my Mazda pickup truck qualifies. It is registered as a commercial vehicle in California. Maybe I should give it a try!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts