S104 Very buggy

dhickman

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 8, 2010
Central OK
So far two reboots necessary to just use receiver. One Soft when I got home from work (1710) because of the blackscreen on current news recording. another around 1820 (pulled plug) because the system showed 6 recording as active.

1. Recordings are not firing off on schedule.

2. System will show in EPG that a recording is taking place, but the recording is not showing up in the DVR directory. Also the tuner can change channels without a warning.

3. Show will record and not "stop" when a new recording starts. The new recording with show up as a third concurrent recording.

exp

Show A 2100-2200 Tuner 1
Show B 2100-2200 Tuner 2

Show C 2200-2230 - Tuner 1
Show D 2200-2230 - Tuner 2

Show E 2235-2305 - Tuner 2

At 2210, Shows A,B,C were showing as recording. If I attempt to access show A, I get the black screen with the red dot with a slash. If I try to stop recording A, same thing. Shows B records as normal. Show C and D are recording their correct shows and I can access both live video or the recordings.

At 2239, Shows A, E are showing as active. I can tune the receiver via live on Tuner 1.

S104 screwed all of my timers up. I just got off of the phone with tech support and they think it is a software issue.:mad: I have timers recording stuff i didn't even set.:confused:

I just called them and the call went directly to advanced support. The tech said that S104 has caused a bunch of issues. There is supposed to be something pushed out this morning.

Let the Dish Network public beta program continue...

I hope this gets fixed for you guys soon. It's dangerous to push updates as fast as they are. There is no way to do quality assurance on releases coming this quickly. I feel for the programmers. They must be under a ton of pressure now that this box is in public hands.

the next release that is stable for me ( S102 was stable for me) I am turning auto updates off and wait for a month or so.

As it stands I would have kept s102 and tolerated the crappy sling performance.

I hadn't had any issues until this software update. I am now getting a black screen when I bring up the guide. I can press cancel and get the picture back.:confused:

The only issue I have with S104 is with the guide. It locks up if you are in it too long. If you scroll around it gets unstable and suddenly stops responding. You pretty much have to know what channel you want and just key in the number and go back and forth in that one channel. If you scroll around channels it gets unstable and locks up.

All my timers worked last night without issue.

923 :eek:

I just got my 922 today, got 104 a few hours into having it. Haven't seen any issues with 104 other than simply the delay in the box getting all the information it needs to function properly. I'd guess that it needs to chew on the EPG data for a while to index it before search starts working. Turning the unit off and letting it sit while I watched a DVD was enough to get channel icons and the sling features working.

strange. 104. makes my 923 very stable strange others are having problems

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm with you. Although not perfect S104 was better for me. So much better that I decided not to have my box swapped out for a new one. S101 & S102 were so bad that basic DVR funtions didn't work and we thought it was a bad hard drive. Although it still has a way to go, S104 was a big improvement for me.

What I do not get is why there are so many different issues here?

This is a DVR, not a multipurpose computer.

I suspect that their beta program does not include normal users who have no vested interest than wanting to watch some tv.

I am wondering if some PHB decided that they had to start selling hardware even though the software was in a late alpha stage.

I was involved with tivo from the day it came out. It was stable from day 1, and improved in speed and features with each update. Even when I hacked the crap out of it, it was still rock solid stable.

The only time I have ever experienced software issues like this is when I alpha test software or when I was running 1993-1998ish linux distros. Even my dabbling with MythTV was far more stable than this.

I guess this is what I get when deciding to buy a TV and sat receiver after not having one for years.

What I do not get is why there are so many different issues here?
This is a DVR, not a multipurpose computer.

I don't think people are really having that many issues. Any product release will have issues. TiVo certainly wasn't immune to that. I've sat on the forums after getting a new TiVo and see some of the issues.

I think you can break the 922 issues down into 4 major things:

a) It seems that the 922 needs to down a lot of downloading and processing after it's first setup. While it downloads the EPG data and forces you to wait (like any other dish receiver), the EPG data is not particularly useful to a DVR. It needs to be indexed and made ready for the DVR type features. These sorts of downloading/processing of the downloaded info seems to be behind the search/dvr functionality problems on newly installed units, the icons missing from channels, and sling not working right away (seems to need to talk to dish's servers before you can get into it the first time). TiVo's strategy is to disable a lot of features during this phase and your box behaves like a VCR. You can watch live tv and record programs by time, but not much else. Dish seems to just leave all the features turned on and what works works and what doesn't just seems broken. On the one hand it makes things seem more broken, on the other it makes them usable faster.

b) Sling networking issues. A lot of the people have had issues with the sling feature even after updates and syncing issues seem to be fixed now. I think a lot of the issues reliability issues are related to the network design of the sling feature. If you're not on the same subnet or it doesn't get a connection to the client machine immediately it will resort to sending the data to sling's servers and then back to our client, which will limit your quality a lot. It seems to be very touchy, and very likely to fall back to this middle man setup. If there's anything that could have used some more testing this would have been one of those things.

c) External Hard Drive support issues. This wasn't tested until retail release, it probably should have.

d) Real problems with units that are probably defects with hardware.

I'm not saying there are no software problems. I just think most peoples problems will clear up if they give the box time to do what it needs to get going. Most of the other complaints seem related to the sling feature.

Watching TV for me so far seems fine though.

Weird. Really no serious problems here with the older software versions and no issues with this software release.

My current hiccups:

-S104 software
-EHD re-enabled, but does not transfer files consistently
-Guide locks up if you browse for an extened period, causing a reboot
-Sling player 3rd party app is not allowed ( must use Dish site or old software work-around)
-2 random reboots & accompanying alarm (my wife screaming)

-New one..Apparently the DVR knows what shows I like, because it's making choices for me...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts