Please reply by conversation.

eurosport

In Dave Grohl We Trust!
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 31, 2008
North Florida
Date: Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:45 am ((PDT))

I need one of the old 8' (average) satellite dishes. I am NOT looking for it to scrap it. I am looking for it to build an aviary for birds. My sister has one just like I want to build that she built from her old dish. I will take it down for you if need be. Thank you in advance. Don
:eek:

Now, that's a very birdbrained idea, Yes we are aiming them, at "birds", but a whole different variety. NOT building housing for 'em.

One of these days I got to go west of town here and look at a contraption a farmer built. He used 4 pizza dishes to make a windmill that turns an altenator and charges a car battery which is used to power an irrigation valve control system. He has a community garden and a class at a local gradeschool also has a plot there. I'm not into repurposing dishes but we could stand to loose a few of those pizza pans.

One of these days I got to go west of town here and look at a contraption a farmer built. He used 4 pizza dishes to make a windmill that turns an altenator and charges a car battery which is used to power an irrigation valve control system. He has a community garden and a class at a local gradeschool also has a plot there. I'm not into repurposing dishes but we could stand to loose a few of those pizza pans.

Be sure to take your camera. This should be interesting............

Yeah would like to see a picture of that.

Gardenpatch 012.JPGGardenpatch 005.JPGGardenpatch 010.JPGI got out this weekend but the windmill was broken. Poor design. Needs heavier bearings. But I took some pics so you can the idea.
Milltown Garden Patch

View attachment 75856View attachment 75857View attachment 75858I got out this weekend but the windmill was broken. Poor design. Needs heavier bearings. But I took some pics so you can the idea.
Milltown Garden Patch

WAIT!! WUT??? Is that an electric windmill made of old satellite dishes, a bike frame and a car generator?
That's flippin cool!!!!!! :cool:

More info please!

The wind blows non-stop here on the coast, I've got old pizza dishes, I can find an old bike on a trash pile easy and I'm sure my dad has an old generator laying around somewhere..

I LOVE free energy! I've got some solar panels for emergency lights but I would love to have some wind power to supplement it for times when it's overcast for long periods.

:D

I, too, like this idea. I have 7 total solar panels for almost all of my power needs. The deep well pump will not run on anything but a generator, but even the washer and dryer (gas) will run on inverters. With all the wind we get here, That wind generator may be controllable in the excess wind speed. The commercial built "home sized" generators shut down around 40 MPH, so are limited.

Just as a side note, I will be taking some better pictures of the damage to my 10 foot Winegard - but will not post them on April 1st. Unfortunately, the damages are not a joke.

Well that thing was built from scratch and no plans. I would have done things different for sure. The windmill developed a tremendous amount vibration in moderate winds. The blade(dishes) would have to be better balanced. It took those bicycle crank bearings out in no time. The dish mounting poles were cut off and welded and bolted to a harmonic balancer from a car engine. Those are all Dish500 pans. I would have used 1-3/4" pipe and a 4way fitting instead of all those masts. But still would be hard to balance.

I, too, like this idea. I have 7 total solar panels for almost all of my power needs. The deep well pump will not run on anything but a generator, but even the washer and dryer (gas) will run on inverters. With all the wind we get here, That wind generator may be controllable in the excess wind speed. The commercial built "home sized" generators shut down around 40 MPH, so are limited.

Just as a side note, I will be taking some better pictures of the damage to my 10 foot Winegard - but will not post them on April 1st. Unfortunately, the damages are not a joke.

what is the biggest inverter you have tried with the deep well pump?

I have a 2200 watt / 3500 watt surge that is supposed to be wired for 120/240, but it loses one side every time the pump tries to start. The pump is a 3/4 HP 240V pump. I can pump up 600 gallons of water into storage tanks and then use a 12 volt pressure pump for the water but the solar panels (Rated over 750 watts) will not keep the batteries up for the inverter for more than a load or two. I could add more solar, but it will be cheaper to add a wind generator. The 1 or 2 KW generator cuts off at about 29-35 MPH. Usually, when we want to do clothes, the wind is blowing between 25 to 45 MPH.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)