Sad day in baseball

Now days I don't root for players on the field anymore, I just root for the laundry since the players change so much. Case in point, Sean Casey was one of the most loved players on the Reds and he got traded anyway. The old saying is still true, "It's all about the Benjamins!!"

I can't believe there's still a "How can you leave us?" attitude from fans...

BTW, Indians just created their own tv network (huh?) so they will be getting a higher payroll. They hope to have it on all the cable/sat networks in time for opening day but I think we can all guess which satellite provider won't be carrying such a nonsense channel...

Cave man was marketable. That look put everything in too play.
Damon could have swung it his way, to keep the locks.
Boston made him. Might top out being the most disrespectfull act in baseball history. Pure hell setting foot in Fenway.

chelsea said:
Cave man was marketable. That look put everything in too play.
Damon could have swung it his way, to keep the locks.
Boston made him. Might top out being the most disrespectfull act in baseball history. Pure hell setting foot in Fenway.

I cannot wait to see what happens when the yanks play in fenway for the first time next year.

stuart628 said:
I am really really beginning to hate baseball, it seems the yankees can just buy any player they want, I am a cleveland fan, but man did I love watching him play, went to pretty much every cleveland boston game there was here in Ctown, but now, I am turning my back on him! I hate baseballs system!

You hate baseballs system. Then you must be not like capitalism. Thats all i gotta say about that.

Besides ticket one of the biggest source of income of the yanks in the last two years has been the YES Network. Everyone who watches them support them with their money (even me). What's the motivation? I like to see good baseball with good players. If I was living in South Miami, I will not pay a penny to watch the Marlins. They are disgrace!!!! I hope they rot in hell for what they did to their team and to try to offset the balance in the divisional races. Given that I am all for a team who takes the money and puts it back into the team. It does not matter who it is and at what price. This is the reason I still support the Knicks even though they suck big time. The owners are still spending not wisely but they are spending and trying.

Sean Mota said:
Besides ticket one of the biggest source of income of the yanks in the last two years has been the YES Network. Everyone who watches them support them with their money (even me). What's the motivation? I like to see good baseball with good players. If I was living in South Miami, I will not pay a penny to watch the Marlins. They are disgrace!!!! I hope they rot in hell for what they did to their team and to try to offset the balance in the divisional races. Given that I am all for a team who takes the money and puts it back into the team. It does not matter who it is and at what price. This is the reason I still support the Knicks even though they suck big time. The owners are still spending not wisely but they are spending and trying.

Yhea I do have to give it to the yanks as everyone here has said they do put alot of money in the team to get the best players available, but I will still curse them every year.

sidekick said:
There was a time when sports were played for the love of the sport...
Concerning professional sports, that one of the biggest myths ever perpetrated. Have you ever heard of an athlete taking no salary or giving it all back? John McGraw, Ty Cobb, Babe Ruth, and Joe DiMaggio (multiple times) all held out at one time or another during their careers. Sandy Koufax, Don Drysdale, and Maury Wills all held out from the Dodgers during the same year! Most guys didn't hold out because in those days of the Reserve Clause in MLB, a player had absolutely no leverage unless he was a big star. Guys played the game because they could earn somewhat of a living doing it, or because of the contacts and economic opportunites they could develop because of who they were. Unless you're already independently wealthy, you don't spend over half the year doing something for no compensation.

to all of you,

franchise history?

money??

community involvement??

the love of the game should come FIRST, and im from pittsburgh, a drinking town with a football problem.....LOL

stienbrenner buys and sells players like stockyard meat, this is how far the game sunk...

did you guys ever think about a player who was the first hispanic superstar, who played in a blue collar town.

he was a hypocondriac?

he died trying to bring food and medicine to his fellow hispanics?!

sammy sosa???? no! espinosa ??!! no!!

try this 12 consecutive GOLD GLOVE awards. 4 batting titles, and batted 444 in his last world series . and this is in the MODERN ERA.

it is a shame you guys dont remember THE GREAT ONE,,,who died this evening in 1972 taking aid to his brothers.

ROBERTO CLEMENTE, MY HERO, may you rest in peace.

you are the reason i played sports, the reason i am football president in my home town.... it is about the game , not the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

i woke up the next morning to the newscasts in pittsburgh, the anchors , the sportscasters and I were ALL crying?! i was 15 and crying my eyes out!

Last edited:
dragon002 said:
to all of you,
franchise history?
money??
community involvement??
the love of the game should come FIRST, and im from pittsburgh, a drinking town with a football problem.....LOL
stienbrenner buys and sells players like stockyard meat, this is how far the game sunk...
did you guys ever think about a player who was the first hispanic superstar, who played in a blue collar town.
he was a hypocondriac?
he died trying to bring food and medicine to his fellow hispanics?!
sammy sosa???? no! espinosa ??!! no!!
try this 12 consecutive GOLD GLOVE awards. 4 batting titles, and batted 444 in his last world series . and this is in the MODERN ERA.
it is a shame you guys dont remember THE GREAT ONE,,,who died this evening in 1972 taking aid to his brothers.
ROBERTO CLEMENTE, MY HERO, may you rest in peace.
you are the reason i played sports, the reason i am football president in my home town.... it is about the game , not the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
i woke up the next morning to the newscasts in pittsburgh, the anchors , the sportscasters and I were ALL crying?! i was 15 and crying my eyes out!
You're not the only one who remembers Roberto, with this being the 33rd anniversary of his untimely death. He actually batted .414 in that Series against the Orioles, but in any event he was a sight to behold!

brainiac said:
Concerning professional sports, that one of the biggest myths ever perpetrated. Have you ever heard of an athlete taking no salary or giving it all back? John McGraw, Ty Cobb, Babe Ruth, and Joe DiMaggio (multiple times) all held out at one time or another during their careers. Sandy Koufax, Don Drysdale, and Maury Wills all held out from the Dodgers during the same year! Most guys didn't hold out because in those days of the Reserve Clause in MLB, a player had absolutely no leverage unless he was a big star. Guys played the game because they could earn somewhat of a living doing it, or because of the contacts and economic opportunites they could develop because of who they were. Unless you're already independently wealthy, you don't spend over half the year doing something for no compensation.

Virtually all of the players you mentioned spent all or the bulk of their career with one team. Of course, everyone negotiates ... however, not everyone left their team for monetary reasons as quickly as players do today. Players of old also realized that giving up money may make a team better and many of the better players frequently did that as well. There is never a solid rule to any adage. The fact remains that all stats indicate the importance of money to the player of today. There are players who don't fall into that list, Cal Ripken for one ...... He realized the value and virtues associated with loyalty.

sidekick said:
Virtually all of the players you mentioned spent all or the bulk of their career with one team. Of course, everyone negotiates ... however, not everyone left their team for monetary reasons as quickly as players do today. Players of old also realized that giving up money may make a team better and many of the better players frequently did that as well. There is never a solid rule to any adage. The fact remains that all stats indicate the importance of money to the player of today. There are players who don't fall into that list, Cal Ripken for one ...... He realized the value and virtues associated with loyalty.
The "stats" don't indicate anything. No, they didn't leave their teams, because as I said earlier, they couldn't. They didn't have the leverage to do so since the reserve clause was in effect until the end of the '75 season. There was no free agency, so there were no greener pastures. They either stayed with the same team, or they didn't play. The only thing they could hope for was a trade. As for Cal Ripken, he never had to worry about anything as the Orioles always took care of him. It's not like he was playing for the league minimum.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts