Sad farewell to DISH

Tom Reid

Original poster
Dec 1, 2004
I've really been satisfied with Dish for a long time! Today I wanted to upgrade to HD - Wow! $299 for a receiver, a $240 cancellation fee, a HD package with no local HC channels yet, and an 18 month contract plus the usual nickel-dime monthly service/lease fees. My local cable company gave me a 2 HD DVR deal with local HD channels for $20 more per month over my current Dish package. Who could say no? These are bad numbers, but Dish basically has a take-it-or-leave-it attitude. Amen, brother!

Looks like you will not get to enjoy all the added HD Dish has to offer, plus the best HD DVR ever. Yes, you have to pay to play...

Well I pay to play and most of it is garbage except for a handful of channels. I really can't wait for the Food Channel to be added. I'm dying to see a head of lettuce in HD. :hungry:

Dish really needs to look at things, while not everyone will have great cable offers like yours they do need to realize that the grasp they had on programming and equipment like HD DVR's is eroding quick.

As more and more cable companies get with the times more and more are going to flock away from satellite never to come back again.

This is something that should scare the hell out of Charlie and the boys.

betwean the comcast upgrades...Project lightspeed and FIOS....both Sat companys will eventually loose the battle in the major metros...

Sat will return to its roots rural america

gdarwin said:
Looks like you will not get to enjoy all the added HD Dish has to offer, plus the best HD DVR ever. Yes, you have to pay to play...
Yep bad choice, dish will always be the leader in tv viewing technology and cable doesnt have mpeg4. :)

No but they have their own HD DVR and it does not cost you a fee of $299 to LEASE it. :)

Again most of the folks at the moment do not have good cable service in the area, but many cable companies are cleaning themselves up and are finally getting with the times. Odds are when a custom leaves satellite for cable tv chances are they wont be coming back to Satellite anytime soon.

Just a wake up call for the satellite companies. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
sunfire01 said:
Yep bad choice, dish will always be the leader in tv viewing technology and cable doesnt have mpeg4. :)

The ONLY thing keeping me w/E* is my distant locals, when I loose those it's back to cable I go.

More of the channels I actually watch in HD (like my locals)
Less upfront cost
Better picture quality

Cable does not need mpeg-4, my local comcast is only trying to cover my local area, not the whole country,they have all the room they need for 1 local market in that RG-6

Jordan

Last edited:
The HD channels E* has that my cable co doesn't is the only thing keeping me with E*. Their $299 upfront HD-DVR lease really stinks, and hopefully it wont always be like that, but as long as their are folks that are willing to pay it, looks like they will support it...

A lot of companies can say "we have a free (lease) HD DVR".

However, most of them are pretty crappy in comparison to the 942 or 622. IMO. The quality and functionaility of the dish HD DVR's are worth the extra $. The preference for the equipment is why I'm with Dish instead of cable. I love my 942.

Wait to you see the Comcast HD DVR with Tivo.

At the moment the Cable HD DVR's (actually all their DVRS) are like the 921 are when they were released and are not as polished as the 622, they will get there some day.

It's great that some people have better alternatives to satellite.

My only alternative is a cable company (RCN) that cannot even provide a two-way broadband connection to my home. They're HDTV selection is also limited.

My cable company (Bresnan) has "0" HD channels. They told me the WHOLE system has to be rebuilt before they can carry HD. They said "6 to 10 years"

Looks like I'll be enjoying my 622 for a good long while:D

My cable company (Mediacom) has terrible PQ and has no plans to carry HD in the near term. I get DSL from Bellsouth. Maybe the merger with AT&T will allow them to invest in FIOS. I imagine that will be several years down the road. I like E* and I plan to enjoy my 622 for at least 2 years. However, I think Scott is correct. The growing competition from cable and FIOS should make the execs at E* and D* lose a lot of sleep. ;)

Scott Greczkowski said:
Dish really needs to look at things, while not everyone will have great cable offers like yours they do need to realize that the grasp they had on programming and equipment like HD DVR's is eroding quick.

As more and more cable companies get with the times more and more are going to flock away from satellite never to come back again.

This is something that should scare the hell out of Charlie and the boys.

In the case of my local TWC, the grasp is no longer there and in my opinion, they are now behind cable.

I left Dish about a month ago after being a loyal Dish customer since 1998 and I could not be happier with my decision. Picture quality in my local TWC is much better than Dish's, I now get all my local HD signals plus iNHD1, iNHD2, TNTHD, ESPNHD, TNTHD, DiscHD, HDNet, HDNet Movies, UniveHD, HBO HD, Showtime HD, 2 HD DVRs for a nice $83.00. And negotiations are ongoing for ESPN2 HD, HGTV HD and GEO HD so the future is even brighter.

On top of everything I was able to sell my 6000 for a cool $385.00 on Ebay.

As it is right now, even after my 12 month introductory offer ends, I may never come back to Dish.

Mario.

Dish do not has the best products, you think your receiver is the best at all, but never see others complain. When you are dealer or installer dealing with them everyday, then you will decline to use their products.

Charlie almost lost me to cable this month. My phone company has changed and they are offering TV over fiber optic along with DSL and the phone. Only probelm is until the fiber is ran no HD offering and the DVR they offer is new to them. Since it might be 2007 before I see the fiber line and the fact that I get the KC locals which are now in HD, Charlie has me for another 18 months until the commitment on the 622 runs out. Then he may get it back.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)