Salvaging a hard drive

AntAltMike

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 28, 2005
I've got a Toshiba Model A505-S6960 PSAP0U 007007 Laptop that just went on the fritz. Most likely, the problem was triggered by a failed cooling fan. When I try to power it up. once the hyphen appears in the upper left hand corner of the blank screen, it starts beeping wildly and goes no further. I can get the computer to recognize the F2 and F12 start-up alternatives, but as soon as I exit either, it beeps and doesn't proceed.

Previously, back in the good old days, when I had a computer screw up, I just bought another one that could physically accommodate the hard drive, or I have even bought an outboard hard drive case and connected it to my omputer through a USB port. What computer can I buy that I can simply plug this hard drive in, or what accessory box can I get to support it.

I use the AOL "Mail saved on my computer", "Waiting to be sent" as my primary crib sheet so I really need top get my hands on that. Back when I was more diligent than I now am, I used to e-mail my Mail waiting to be sent files to myself once every couple of weeks, just so it would be accessible on AOL for about a year, but I have gotten lazy since then.

Given that Toshiba wanted $475 when my screen went bad (I replaced it myself for half that), I doubt I could get this thig repaired for much less than I could buy a new one for.

Newegg sells all kinds of cases. I used one to mount the drive of computer with a dead mother board, transfer the files to a new machine, and then formatted it for use with my Dishnetwork ViP622.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts