Same 811 OTA Problem

sat717

Original poster
Feb 24, 2004
Here is the deal. After further troubleshooting and blaming everything else BUT the 811 receiver, I have concluded it is the new 811 receiver giving me problems. I am trying to get local OTA channels. I bought Terk TV-55 antenna. I installed it on top of my roof. I am only 5 miles from the Antenna farm. I get
NBC-78%
ABC-78%
CBS-49%(NO VIDEO OR AUDIO)
WB-49%(NO VIDEO OR AUDIO)
PBS-70%

I called Dish Network tech support, after lots of convincing, they are sending me another 811 receiver. I have a feeling, I might run into same problem.

I read lot of other posts, and people are running into 49% problem. Is there any solution for this. Or should I start looking for model 6000?

Any suggestions?

A software update to the 811 that is rumored to be released tomorrow 2/25, may alleviate your OTA problem. There is also a second software update for the 811 scheduled for late March that was mentioned at the last Tech Forum on 2/9. This also may solve your problem. In other threads, folks have talked about OTA antenna multipath problems but I do not know enough about it to say whether that applies to your situation.

I would try a different antenna or move your existing antenna to a different location. If you're only 5 miles out, you should be able to get a very good signal with rabbit ears.

I went out last night and picked up Samsung HD OTA tuner from best buy. It worked like a charm. I picked up all the channels at almost 90%. That just leads me to believe that 811 has algorithm that does not compare with model 6000 or even any other OTA tuners.

Hey Sat. I have the same problem with my 811. Had a TERK TV42 antenna and couldn't get jack. Gonna ditch the 811 as soon as I can get my hands on a 921. Just curious, what model Samsung HD Reciever did you get, and are you happy with it? Seeing mixed reviews on the circuit city website.

Hey Ocaddict,
I picked up Samsung SIR351. Its pretty nice, it downloads guide for you as well. The guide screen is helpful.

I'd ditch the Terks! They are notoriously poor performing (do a search on the AVS Forum for Terk).

Get a real antenna from Winegard, ChannelMaster, or even Radio Shack. Since most OTA HD is on UHF channels, get a Yagi or bow-tie antenna. Point it at the source that is hardest to receive due to distance, low power, or obstructions.

There are probably better ATSC tuners than the 811, but they cost more (assuming you got in on one of the DISH special offers) and don't integrate your DBS and OTA program guide (i.e., more switching just to change channels). Personnally I'm impressed with my receipt of 6 of 7 available DTV channels in metro-Denver, given that only one is even at half power and 5 are broadcasting from small antennas at 10-kw or less.

Carl B said:
There are probably better ATSC tuners than the 811, but they cost more (assuming you got in on one of the DISH special offers) and don't integrate your DBS and OTA program guide (i.e., more switching just to change channels). Personnally I'm impressed with my receipt of 6 of 7 available DTV channels in metro-Denver, given that only one is even at half power and 5 are broadcasting from small antennas at 10-kw or less.

I can guarentee you that there are better tuners then the 811, the 6K being one of them based on personel experience. I can also say that the DirecTV Hughes E86 does a much better job then either E* 6K or 811 on OTA. A new D* customer can get it with the phase 3 dish and installation for $349.99. Not as cheap as a free 811 but ya know you get what you pay for and the E86 works! It also has the D* Advanced Program Guide so you get EPG information for the OTA digital channels vs. E*'s LOCAL DIGITAL line.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts