Same spotbeam...2 different signal strengths?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
OK this one has me stumped

Now that I have 110 hooked up to the system I added 2 local channels in SD (religious and CW)...So I check the signal on them and is 48-49...ok. 110 Tp12 spotbeam 28 (Duluth, MN locals)
On the same spotbeam is Minneapolis on TP4....signal is 65-66 on the meter

If they have the same spotbeam map how can the signal strengths be different? Here is the map
SatelliteGuys.US_TheList - DISH Network 110°W

Different transponders have different power. They could (in theory) be coming from two different sats if there were two spotbeam sats at the same orbital location.

Edit: Oh argh! I failed to notice on my first look at the subscription list. But 12 is 8PSK, while 4 is QPSK. Shall we both say, "Nevermind" in unison?

Last edited:
I have seen this on two "different" "same" spotbeams for my area, TheKrell's explanation would be my explanation.

EDIT: haha, saw TheKrell's edit, QPSK/8PSK is also another reason.

EDIT2: Have a look at one of my previous posts, for an explanation of the differences in "signal strength" between QPSK and 8PSK transponders (and spotbeams)

http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-ne...ize-dish-would-needed-nearly.html#post2605557

Last edited:
Not sure if this helps but here in the Twin Cities signal strengths vary by channels...some examples

WCCO..ch 4 is usually low to mid 90's
KSTP..ch 5 is mid to upper 70
KMSP..ch 9 low 90's
KARE..ch 11 mid to upper 80's
WFTC ch 29 upper 90's

I am about 6 miles from the towers in Shoreview

Different transponders have different power. They could (in theory) be coming from two different sats if there were two spotbeam sats at the same orbital location.

Edit: Oh argh! I failed to notice on my first look at the subscription list. But 12 is 8PSK, while 4 is QPSK. Shall we both say, "Nevermind" in unison?

um...both are QPSK...they both have SD locals

Not sure if this helps but here in the Twin Cities signal strengths vary by channels...some examples

WCCO..ch 4 is usually low to mid 90's
KSTP..ch 5 is mid to upper 70
KMSP..ch 9 low 90's
KARE..ch 11 mid to upper 80's
WFTC ch 29 upper 90's

I am about 6 miles from the towers in Shoreview

moot point. Thats OTA...I was talking the satellite signals. But on OTA I get all 95+ on the Mpls stations except 41 :)

Same here. I see two ways to explain this while making us both right. Either they have two different physical transponders on the same frequency (same TP number) feeding different spot antennas, OR the signal is coming from two different satellites.

Either they have two different physical transponders on the same frequency (same TP number) feeding different spot antennas,
This sounds like the more logical option.

Dish has 2 sats at 110 (Echo 10 & 11) but Echo 11 is CONUS only. Echo 10 has all the spotbeams

Either they have two different physical transponders on the same frequency (same TP number) feeding different spot antennas, OR the signal is coming from two different satellites.
I don't know where I left my brain tonight... Yes I do; my mother is breathing her last. But anyhow, option two (two different sats) can't be true as Iceberg pointed out. this leaves option one as the right answer AND it's practically the definition of a spotbeam sat (able to send out different programs to different spotbeams reusing the same frequency).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts